• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc I'm really scared - this is a potential emergency! Anyone who knows methadone...

Bomb319

Bluelighter
I'm sorry - this is kind of a long story, but if you have any experience with methadone and its side effects - particularly the dangers of heart conditions (long QT syndrome) that may be caused by it, I REALLY need your help right now :( I will try to make it interesting to read, at least :) I realize that this forum is no place to ask for official medical advice. However, it isn't my sole resource of course, and I realize that what I find out here can't be taken to be absolute fact. Yet, ANY information, stories, etc. I learn from you guys, would really go a long way to help me find out more about this, and possibly inform me of other potential options at my disposal. With that in mind......

Here's what happened: I had an EKG done about a year ago, and both the operating technician and my doctor told me that it was normal, but slightly on the elevated side (referring to the QT interval which can be increased with certain drugs, methadone included). A very long interval means the heart takes too long to repolarize, and can lead to an arrythmia called Torsades de Pointes. In turn, this condition is extremely dangerous, and can cause sudden death via ventricular fibrillation (though most episodes of Torsades apparently resolve without incident). I got a call from my doctor this morning, informing me that she needs to see me earlier because of my latest EKG results. Rather than keeping my appointment 4 weeks from now, she wants me to come in in 2 weeks. At least it's not likely to be something so critical I have to get medical help ASAP, but still, she only comes in to the clinic on Wednesdays, and since next week is New Year's and tonight is Xmas eve, that may still be the earliest appointment I can make with her. She told me my QT interval was too high, and that we need to discuss options to deal with it (in the words of her secretary who was the one who called). Now, my first EKG done a year ago was also "a bit high", but not as much as this one.

I wish I knew the actual values, but they didn't say. I don't know what I'm supposed to do here....even disregarding the potential danger of having a prolonged QT, what exactly am I supposed to do, cold turkey 220 mg methadone or even rapidly taper? I'd be dead from that first. I also commonly combine part of my next day's dose with the current one (usually taking 370 mg maximum, then the other 150 about 12-15 hours later. It works best for me that way because the high dose gets me through the day and gives me more motivation and drive, while the rest later that night helps me sleep and also prevents me from going through withdrawal the next day when I have nothing).

I've been on a high dose of methadone for almost 2 years now, as some of you probably know from my other posts. More recently, but also for nearly the past year or so, I've been taking Clonidine as well - up to 0.6 mg throughout the day - because of my rapid methadone metabolism and resulting propensity toward morning withdrawal symptoms; also for the induced sweating which I can't stand, and my blood pressure which can climb pretty damn high. I also take diphenhydramine and have been doing so for 15 years. If Clonidine is causing or contributing to the problem, it would obviously be so much easier for me to quit that, eat better, exercise more, or literally ANYTHING ELSE but quitting such a high dose of daily methadone.
I obviously realize that this is not exactly the best place to ask for medical help. I DO believe that it's a good place to ask about things like this without expecting official or legal responses. Many of us are on maintenance therapy, we are well-educated and therefore familiar with many medical issues and potential complications such as this, etc. So if anybody knows about this or has their own experiences upon which may shed light on what may be happening with me, I would be very grateful for more information - how serious it is, or if it's likely just a precaution, and especially what possible "options" we can discuss other than discontinuing the methadone in some way.

The thing is, I'd probably be dead by now anyway if it weren't for the methadone. I had a very intense and expensive habit for 6-7 years; student loans and moving to a different city at the beginning of an addiction is a horrible combination since I had all the money I could ask for at first because of bank, government and family loans. Getting clean - even staying on such a high dose of methadone without using any other illegal drugs whatsoever was not easy. I can't go back to the way things were....I just can't. I don't want to use again, but I would be sick as hell for a very long time if I went off methadone, even via an extremely slow taper. I hate withdrawal beyond reason as most people do, but the physical symptoms from just heroin w/d always seemed to affect me more than everyone else and for a much longer time. For instance, the one and only time I was able to stay more or less clean for a reasonable period of time, I still woke up in the morning with brutal sweating and chills 6 to 7 months later!! And that's just from H, Dilaudid and Oxy. Imagine me coming off 300 mg of methadone.

I don't know what to do. I have a very strong family history of heart disease on my mother's side as well; almost all the males (6/7) dropped dead from heart attacks before age 60. My Dad's side is fine, but that's some pretty fucking crazy Russian roulette right there. Above all, I don't know how dangerous an elevated QT actually is, or if there is anything I can do to mitigate this now other than stopping the methadone. Any insight is very much appreciated...I'm a mess right now.

So your heroin withdrawal is worse than other people's? Lol somehow I doubt that. If you have a bad habit you have a bad withdrawal! The bigger the habit the more painful the withdrawal will be. I don't think you're different than anyone else. Wd is painful for EVERYONE! Maybe you are having these issues bc your dose is so high and you take tons of stuff trying to potentiate the methadone. You are also not taking your dose as prescribed. I can't imagine that you are going to stop taking methadone within the next few weeks. I suggest you stop taking stuff in addition to your methadone, take it as prescribed and cut down your dose by half. Maybe you are having these issues bc you take obscene amounts of over the counter drugs.

First cut the benadryl and the clonidine because they both prolong the qt Intervall.

So your heroin withdrawal is worse than other people's? Lol somehow I doubt that. If you have a bad habit you have a bad withdrawal! The bigger the habit the more painful the withdrawal will be. I don't think you're different than anyone else. Wd is painful for EVERYONE! Maybe you are having these issues bc your dose is so high and you take tons of stuff trying to potentiate the methadone. You are also not taking your dose as prescribed. I can't imagine that you are going to stop taking methadone within the next few weeks. I suggest you stop taking stuff in addition to your methadone, take it as prescribed and cut down your dose by half. Maybe you are having these issues bc you take obscene amounts of over the counter drugs.

While I appreciate your input, your premise is faulty. I don't take "massive" quantities of OTC drugs, I just take them regularly and have for ages. I also never said my withdrawals are somehow worse than others, per se. I simply said that I have a ton of experience with it, and I had the money to develop an extremely serious habit. Thank you for your reply to the question I did ask, though.

First cut the benadryl and the clonidine because they both prolong the qt Intervall.

Really?????? This is exactly what I was hoping for, but I need to be absolutely positive. Are you SURE about this, or are you just assuming that those two drugs are QT prolongers because the're generally sedatives? I certainly am aware that Clonidine is a hypotensive agent of course, but I've never heard anything about it having anything to do with arrhythmia or even slowing of the heartbeat. As for diphenhydramine, I haven't ever heard a thing about it. As a potent anticholinergic and sedative, I suppose it makes sense that it can slow the heartbeat, but I have no idea about its possible potential to delay re-polarization.

I need you to be absolutely sure about these things, because if you are and these are indeed facts, I will go off both of them....that in and of itself would be a monumental deal for me...As I said, I've been taking daily Benadryl or Gravol (Dramamine) since I was about 15; I am now 31. It would be a very difficult time of adjustment and probably extensive insomnia, so once again, I REALLY appreciate you telllng me this, but I also absolutely must know for sure. Please reply to this as soon as you can, and thank you SO much again! You may literally be a life-saver!

EDIT- I forgot to mention that going off the Clonidine will cause problems with blood pressure. Whenever I run out of the drug, I experience severe rebound hypertension. Last time, this was the case even 9 days after my last dose. Since it has always been moderately high anyway, I would probably need to be prescribed another antihypertensive, and if they ALL can prolong QT, then there is no point going off Clonidine (which again, helps a lot with the sweating).

Also, can anyone please tell me (very roughly) just how much risk/danger I could likely be in right now because of all this??

I'm not a 100% sure with clonidine but i am with diphenhydramine.
Just google it.
Take care!

Edit: clonidine Doesnt seem to cause long qt syndrome but Doesnt look especially safe on the heart either.

Last edited: