• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Maintenance friendly NA?? Qld, Australia

AnythingEverything

Bluelighter
Long story short, I first got clean in the rooms of Na at the ripe old age of 21 and stayed clean for quite some time. Fast forward, now have a family and am on 32mg of suboxone daily.

I am at the point that I need to start facing these 'issues' so I can get off the suboxone and finally learn how to live and be comfortable in my own skin.

I really love NA but I know their stance on methadone at least (subs weren't a big thing back when I used to attend.). I can't go and not say anything, especially as im on such a stupidly large dose, and for me honesty is such a big part of recovery. And I could go and not share but I've become quite shut off from the world lately and guarded so I really need to be able to open up to people.

I don't care about 'clean time' or collecting key rings, I just need fellowship with like minded addicts for my own personal growth, I also have a lot of life experience to offer others :(

Has anyone found any Na groups that accept people on suboxone?? Have the attitudes changed over the years at all? Is there an alternative that I may not know about? Im in Brisbane, Qld. I am going to go to a meeting on Sunday with an old friend I met when I originally attended all those years ago, I'll see how I go but I'd be keen to hear other people's ideas and experiences.

I am very sensitive and already have a strong core belief that everyone hates me, so I don't want to go just to be ousted because of the subs. The only time I ever feel like I can be myself is in the company of other recovering addicts so I need it.

It's a catch 22. I need recovery to be able to get off the subs, but I need to be off the subs to get the most out of NA. 32mg isn't something I can just jump off - not with 5 very busy, talented children to look after and drive around.

Thanks guys :)

Not sure about Australia, but the NA meetings I've been to here in the states half the people in there are on subs.

I tell this to all newcomers, your meds are your business. I personally would have no problem with a sponsee using subs as long as they are following directions and taking as prescribed. You will find many people like this. Main thing is don't go advertise in the rooms in general what you are taking.

Keep in mind, you will read all sorts of opinions online, people like to try to define what clean is, but ultimately its a personal choice. I do AA since I moved to a large city and I know there are some people that smoke weed still (coincidentally, they do not seem to be all that serious about working steps) and I am not going to go after them for it. Would that be sober to me? Fuck no, but I can only focus on myself.

I think im just going to go on Sunday and get a feel for it again. I attended NA for 7 years and was very active, had a sponsor and sponsees and did meetings most days, but I was in a different position then and not on suboxone or anything so 'totally clean' or so to speak. I do remember the power of the group in some of the thinking and I am sure I would have been guilty myself of judging others....but I was a lot younger then.

Im not keen on AA, have never felt comfortable there. The good old marijuana maintenance program hey? Im sure it's the minority and I always thought of it as somewhat a myth back in the day ;)

Thanks for the reply. Im going to go and see my old friend on Sunday and see how I feel about the fellowship and also look into SMART recovery.