• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Chemical flavorings found in e-cigarettes linked to lung disease

drug_mentor

Bluelight Crew
Diacetyl, a flavoring chemical linked to cases of severe respiratory disease, was found in more than 75 percent of flavored electronic cigarettes and refill liquids tested by researchers at Harvard T.H. Chan School of Public Health.

Two other related, potentially harmful compounds were also found in many of the tested flavors, which included varieties with potential appeal to young people such as cotton candy, “Fruit Squirts,” and cupcake.

The study was published online today in Environmental Health Perspectives.

The Occupational Safety and Health Administration and the flavoring industry have warned workers about diacetyl because of the association between inhaling the chemical and the debilitating respiratory disease bronchiolitis obliterans, colloquially known as “popcorn lung” because it first appeared in workers who inhaled artificial butter flavor in microwave popcorn processing facilities.

“Recognition of the hazards associated with inhaling flavoring chemicals started with ‘popcorn lung’ over a decade ago. However, diacetyl and other related flavoring chemicals are used in many other flavors beyond butter-flavored popcorn, including fruit flavors, alcohol flavors, and, we learned in our study, candy-flavored e-cigarettes,” said lead author Joseph Allen, assistant professor of exposure assessment sciences.

There are currently more than 7,000 varieties of flavored e-cigarettes and e-juice (nicotine-containing liquid that is used in refillable devices) on the market. Although the popularity and use of e-cigarettes continues to increase, there is a lack of data on their potential health effects. E-cigarettes are not currently regulated, although the U.S. Food and Drug Administration (FDA) has issued a proposed rule to include e-cigarettes under its authority to regulate certain tobacco and nicotine-containing products.

Allen and colleagues tested 51 types of flavored e-cigarettes and liquids sold by leading brands for the presence of diacetyl, acetoin, and 2,3-pentanedione, two related flavoring compounds that the Flavor and Extract Manufacturers Association lists as “high priority,” i.e., they may pose a respiratory hazard in the workplace. Each e-cigarette was inserted into a sealed chamber attached to a lab-built device that drew air through the e-cigarette for eight seconds at a time with a resting period of 15 or 30 second between each draw. The air stream was then analyzed.

At least one of the three chemicals was detected in 47 of the 51 flavors tested. Diacetyl was detected above the laboratory limit of detection in 39 of the flavors tested. Acetoin and 2,3-pentanedione were detected in 46 and 23 and of the flavors, respectively.

“Since most of the health concerns about e-cigarettes have focused on nicotine, there is still much we do not know about e-cigarettes. In addition to containing varying levels of the addictive substance nicotine, they also contain other cancer-causing chemicals, such as formaldehyde, and as our study shows, flavoring chemicals that can cause lung damage,” said study co-author David Christiani, Elkan Blout Professor of Environmental Genetics.

Other Harvard Chan School authors included Skye Flanigan, Mallory LeBlanc, Jose Vallarino, Piers MacNaughton, and James Stewart.

This study was supported by an NIH/NIEHS Center grant.

Link

I smoked for about 3 years, vaped for about 3 years and have been free of all of such products for about 7 months now and don't miss it.

Vaping also helped me transition. Just thinking about it makes me gag.

My problem with all of these studies that make it seem like E-cigs are bad why do they not take the time to make them safe then? They act like the problem is the e-cigs no the problem is that they are not studying them and systematically removing the "problem compounds" Unlike burning plant matter we have the means to say "ok when e-cigs contain this, they are bad, so lets substitute it with this and test the byproducts again" Instead we get flooded with "we think everyone is stupid so we can make blanket statements like "flavorings are bad" when they vary so much in structure that they can not all be bad.

It really just seems foolish to release statements about them being bad when one day they will be nicotine based water with a safe microwave generator, as they vaporize water and can not pass through faraday cages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage making it a completely safe concept eventually. Will they still claim they are bad even though it is very possible to contain microwave radiation and the amount to vaporize a small amount of water is minimal. Someday they will be completely safe and they just need to accept that we are getting past burning plant matter and big tobacco must realize this too, you can delay it but you can not stop it.

aren't they? i've seen one vendor post mass spec data for their liquids. the good thing about the e-liquid market is there's a ridiculously low barrier for entry so that tends to discourage the formation of monopolies and encourage being more candid about what's really in the products.

My problem with all of these studies that make it seem like E-cigs are bad why do they not take the time to make them safe then? They act like the problem is the e-cigs no the problem is that they are not studying them and systematically removing the "problem compounds" Unlike burning plant matter we have the means to say "ok when e-cigs contain this, they are bad, so lets substitute it with this and test the byproducts again" Instead we get flooded with "we think everyone is stupid so we can make blanket statements like "flavorings are bad" when they vary so much in structure that they can not all be bad.

This study was completed by a graduate school affiliated with Harvard University, as far as I am aware they don't manufacture e-cigarettes or their contents, so it is unclear to me how or why you think the burden should fall on them to remove dangerous flavourings from these products.

If you read the article it clearly doesn't say "flavourings are bad", it says there was some level of dangerous chemical found in 47 of the 51 flavours tested. The obvious take away from this is that some flavourings are not necessarily bad, however, if the sample used was representative of the range of products available then clearly the majority of flavourings are a concern.

The only way to figure out which contents need removing is to study them, so I don't understand why you are objecting to this study.

It really just seems foolish to release statements about them being bad when one day they will be nicotine based water with a safe microwave generator, as they vaporize water and can not pass through faraday cages: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage making it a completely safe concept eventually. Will they still claim they are bad even though it is very possible to contain microwave radiation and the amount to vaporize a small amount of water is minimal. Someday they will be completely safe and they just need to accept that we are getting past burning plant matter and big tobacco must realize this too, you can delay it but you can not stop it.

You are suggesting that it is "foolish" to be releasing scientific information about the potential negative health impact of e-cigarette flavourings which are currently on the market for human consumption, because at some unspecified future date e-cigarettes might be completely safe. This doesn't make any sense. For people to be able to make an informed decision on whether the potential harm is worth the risk they need to know the harm associated with the product they will actually be consuming.

Hopefully the result from this study will be e-cigarette users attempting to obtain the relatively few brands which don't contain these flavourings.

In future when e-cigarettes are reformulated they will do studies on the reformulations, until that time it only makes sense to study the products which people are currently breathing in to their lungs.

Last edited:
Just arguing for the fact that all things found to be bad can be systematically removed over time.

You weren't "just" doing that though. You said that publishing these findings for public consumption seemed foolish, this is a ridiculous claim to make from a harm reduction point of view. We should not be promoting ignorance on bluelight.

There could be essential parts of this technology which carry unavoidable risks. The claim that this technology can ever be made to be completely risk free is an assumption which is not borne out by the available data, at least as far as I am aware. Please correct me if I am misinformed. For the record, if the farraday cage technology which you previously mentioned has not been rigorously tested (in the appropriate context) then it is not an appropriate counterexample.

Last edited:
Lol it's called a rant obviously not one of my best works, sorry if it rubbed you the wrong way :)

And it has to do with wavelength size, basically it works like a screen or mesh preventing waves to go through. That's why your microwave oven doesn't cook you

It isn't about rubbing me the wrong way, it is about not discouraging people from paying attention to up to date scientific data. This is a harm reduction board, after all.

I appreciate that you have an interest in science and I was surprised to see your "rant". I am glad you can agree that these comments were not your best work.

In relation to your relatively vague comment about wavelength size, whilst this may be a reliable method of ruling out specific harms, I don't believe that the research on "wavelength size" and its correspondence to the risks associated with e-cigarettes provide conclusive evidence that e-cigarettes could be made to an unquestionably safe standard. Again, please correct me if I am mistaken.

Last edited:
Two things I am really good at thinking I made the error whenever there is one and admitting I am wrong. And I did post a rant and your right in saying there may be unintended consequences that I didn't consider in doing so. And ya caught in me in so I will defend myself a bit because you asked :)

It is not all that surprising that some of the flavorings can cause issues if inhaled over extended periods of time as I would imagine a lot of them have no direct evidence to show what can happen over the long term. At best we have some tests and second hand reports that show what may happen but really people who smoke e-cigs are the test subjects for the long term. That doesn't mean we should disregard studies such as this but rather educate the public on how they can limit their exposure to the potential risks while something is done to make them safer. There will eventually come a time when a lot of the potential risks can be reduced simply though time and the systematic elimination of hazardous compounds.

As far as faraway cages it is important to view microwaves as a waves so at some point they can be reflected. If you make a small mesh with a microwave reflective surface they will bounce off of it. I can't comment on how it would work for an e-cig but microwaves get absorbed by water molecules that's how they cook our food. That means in theory you can use them to vaporize water laced with nicotine however, that doesn't mean I am investing my money on the idea.

I think it's important people realize that there are risks associated with the use of e-cigs and the real issue is that they are unknown risks. I do believe the responsibility is with the individual user to understand that the risks are largely unknown and if they choose that over the alternatives for the idea that they may benefit in the long run.

It could be argued that the sample was small but I think that it would be foolish to think that the pattern isn't reflected in the majority of brands. I would like to see more effort put into regulation as peoples lives can benefit from a tighter control on manufacture. I do feel that in time we can make something that is not exactly safe but is more then marginally better then tobacco but that doesn't mean it's happened yet.

Two things I am really good at thinking I made the error whenever there is one and admitting I am wrong. And I did post a rant and your right in saying there may be unintended consequences that I didn't consider in doing so. And ya caught in me in so I will defend myself a bit because you asked :)

It is not all that surprising that some of the flavorings can cause issues if inhaled over extended periods of time as I would imagine a lot of them have no direct evidence to show what can happen over the long term. At best we have some tests and second hand reports that show what may happen but really people who smoke e-cigs are the test subjects for the long term. That doesn't mean we should disregard studies such as this but rather educate the public on how they can limit their exposure to the potential risks while something is done to make them safer. There will eventually come a time when a lot of the potential risks can be reduced simply though time and the systematic elimination of hazardous compounds.

As far as faraway cages it is important to view microwaves as a waves so at some point they can be reflected. If you make a small mesh with a microwave reflective surface they will bounce off of it. I can't comment on how it would work for an e-cig but microwaves get absorbed by water molecules that's how they cook our food. That means in theory you can use them to vaporize water laced with nicotine however, that doesn't mean I am investing my money on the idea.

I think it's important people realize that there are risks associated with the use of e-cigs and the real issue is that they are unknown risks. I do believe the responsibility is with the individual user to understand that the risks are largely unknown and if they choose that over the alternatives for the idea that they may benefit in the long run.

It could be argued that the sample was small but I think that it would be foolish to think that the pattern isn't reflected in the majority of brands. I would like to see more effort put into regulation as peoples lives can benefit from a tighter control on manufacture. I do feel that in time we can make something that is not exactly safe but is more then marginally better then tobacco but that doesn't mean it's happened yet.

I think we now need to assess how harmful the concentrations measured in this study are long-term. The few papers I read on the subject reported using significantly higher concentrations that induced cell damage. Also, I found it quite weird how in this study they stated that since people smoke e-cigs all day every day they're more at risk than the workers who only work 8 hours per day 5 days of the week; I don't think that makes much sense because in one case you have frequent but short-lasting exposure and infrequent but much longer-lasting in the other. Are there any documented cases of lung injury in e-cig smokers?

Additionally, I learned that the dicarbonyls may contribute to ROS production within the organism. Is this the ROS the other article was talking about? Unlikely, because the ROS from diacetyl are a result of its reactions within cells and it's unlikely that that was considered/measured in that other study. But then I wonder what kind of ROS e-cigs vapors contain.

Also, http://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s00420-008-0337-x

Of course, better safe than sorry should always be the motto. I'd like to see the follow-up to this study.