• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

how can i help my heroin addicted brothers

adultswimbumpwatch

Greenlighter
So. The title says it all. I know you guys aren't gonna fix everything but I'd like to hear from any h addicts on what they would have wanted their family to do you know. The most feedback and stories i get the better. Please share your h addiction stories if you want and please tell me how you would have wanted others to help you or if you felt alone and that kind of stuff. And what led up to that drug for you guys. My brothers are 26 and 29 so if anyone around their age could tell me about the drug culture back then that would be appreciated too. So please share the feelings you guys had while addicted.

And im sorry for anyone that has gotten through this too. I really love my brothers so your information would be useful for the long understanding i need to gain to help them.

Moved from Homeless. I feel that this section will be able to help the most :)

I would definitely go the intervention route. If they go to rehab, make sure the go to seperate rehabs.

Unfortunately what worked for me was going to jail, then going to detox, then rehab.

All the knocks on the head I had previously, ODs that put me in the hospital, being dopesick, getting locked up...didn't work until I wanted it to work. They need to have that holy moment that shows them that they are dying inside...maybe not physically, and this has nothing to do with god.

something you can do right now is "stop enabling!" they will try to get angy, they will try to look pathetic and sick, they will try to pull at your heartstrings.....don't give in! you are stronger than that. Would you live with yourself if the dose they connived out of you killed one of them? If you give the impression that you will cave to them to get what they want, do you think they will stop coming to you?

You also might want to check out some Alanon. It is designed for the family members of addicts and will teach you the core principals needed to break the codependent bond you have with your addicts.

keep us posted. Good luck.

Last edited:
I'm 23. I have been addicted to opiates on and off for the last 10 years. My last episode was heroin for 14 months. I am only 6 days clean at the moment. I would of hated my family for doing an intervention on me, only for the fact of I wasn't going to be able to stay clean until I really want it. Yeah you might be able to force them into a rehab but if they don't want to be there they either will leave early or they won't take any of the info and relapse when getting out. Now i would say to talk to them to show them you know exactly what's going on and you care and you would love for them to be their old selves again and to be clean. And let them know that you're done helping them or enabling them. My mom moved me in her apartment right when my addiction to heroin started...bad idea I didn't have to pay rent or any bills which as you can imagine wasn't pretty at the end of it. My mom was actually in NA for a crack addiction so she would mention from time to time that she wanted me clean. Well unfortunately my mom passed away September of this year so that was just a downward effect but then I hit my rock bottom my mom was gone lost all my friends and was about to be on the streets and this last time I used I hit an artery and almost had to get a finger removed that's what did it for me. I was done. It scared the shit out of me, well enough to detox cold turkey. My point being that honestly nothing was stopping me but me. Maybe if my mom would of kicked me out when she found me passed out with a needle on my lap in the bathroom I would of cleaned up my act but I can't say that for sure. I would honestly suggest going to alanon meeting. They can really give you the tools to cope. I'm sorry your brothers are going through this I hope they can wake up and see what they are doing to you and everyone that loves them. Good luck to you and to both of them.
EXjunkiegirl23..

For myself, AA/NA/etc did very, very little (sadly if anything) to help me grow and move on, or stay sober/abstinent for that matter. Alanon did very little, perhaps a little more than AA/NA for me, for some of my family. They're worth trying, but always take what you're told with a grain of salt, especially with the cliches (then again, this goes for pretty much anything in the recovery industry).

I'd also throw out there to ask them what they really want from themselves. Learn about boundaries. Try to set the most supportive, loving, least codependent boundaries you can according to what they genuinely want. Of course, impressing on them how to/that they need to communicate their deep wants to loved ones is not easy. But it's really important to support them if that's what you want to do, not just tell them they need to do this or that. When I first "came out" about my addiction after hiding it from everyone in my life for about seven years, when I inquired about methods of treatment that I was interested in from loved ones (and more importantly professionals...), I was shot down and told I had to do it a certain way. That lead to immense confusion and suffering on everyone's part.

You can't support them if you can't take care of yourself. Hence the need to learn about and establish healthy boundaries. But if you want to be supportive of them, I strongly suggest allowing them to guide their own process as much as possible at all times. Easier said than done, but very important.

I would've loved if they enabled me....paid for all of my dope and delivered it. I remember thinking if I was wealthy I would hire someone to do the entire damn thing for me and to me. I mean literally just stand there like a butler at my beck and call. What I wanted them to do was leave me alone so I could continue to gamble with my life four to five times a day. What I wanted and needed were two different things...the bottom line is I was tired of living my life with severe anxiety and panic attacks, chronic pain...and depression. But didn't realize that.

I thought that was life. I would forever be in that discomfort. I got a technical probation violation that put me in jail for six and half mos. After not eating for 16days-the Dr. there asked me what did I need to feel better. I asked if I could have Lyrica...I was in a lot of pain, and also still very ill detoxing. Being that Lyrica is exspensive the jail formulary didn't carry it...so I was prescribed Neurontin. I started to notice (for the first time in my life without being high on something) I wasn't plagued by unbearable anxiety. I could concentrate on things outside of that horrible feeling.

Upon my release from jail, I was court-ordered to a chronic pain program. It went from there. I stayed on Neurontin. I kept an open mind and tried every treatment they offered...and some seemed a little nuts (like one of the nurses beating a tom tom drum while I laid there)-I gave every other patient in my group my 100% attention when they spoke, as well as the staff. I considered their ideas and suggestions. I participated and was honest....

But...the key is I wantedit to be good and positive. And it was. Another thing that turned me around was how accepting people were despite all of my flaws. It reminded me I was likeable and worth knowing. I carry that to this day when I'm feeling down....I got out of rehab 7mos ago.

When I got locked up I was pretty pissed off about it....Ive learned that I needed my underlying issues addressed. And that that wasn't just some catch phrase for medical to say. I take medication for my issues...I go to a Therapist once a week (specializing in addiction)...When I get cravings I'm loud about it. Meaning I tell people even though I don't want to, so I cant disappear and use.

I will live and die by underlying issues have to be addressed and we're not getting high just because we like to be high-even though that's what a lot of us believe. Mine had to be addressed by force. And today-I can't tell you how grateful I am that they were.

When I got locked up I was pretty pissed off about it....Ive learned that I needed my underlying issues addressed. And that that wasn't just some catch phrase for medical to say. I take medication for my issues...I go to a Therapist once a week (specializing in addiction)...When I get cravings I'm loud about it. Meaning I tell people even though I don't want to, so I cant disappear and use. I would highly suggest getting them setup with some sort of mental health treatment to treat the underlying issues that cause them to want to use.

I will live and die by underlying issues have to be addressed and we're not getting high just because we like to be high-even though that's what a lot of family members believe. Mine had to be addressed by force. And today-I can't tell you how grateful I am that they were.

When I got locked up for stealing, I was pretty much at my wits end. They gave me pepto and tylenol (even though they knew I had late stage hep c) which does nothing for withdrawals. It made me have that holy moment (not religious, spiritual) where I got down on my knees in my cell and said "what the fuck do you want from me!" I grew up in poverty, and my father and stepmother were abusive. I had used that coupled with my mental health diagnosis' to use indiscriminately and keep hoping that the next shot would kill me. I kept pushing the envelope, but when I called that out and was ready to truly listen a thought popped into my head "What the fuck makes me so special that I get to numb myself, make my problems everyone else's that loves me, and keep ending up in the ER because I kept hoping the next one kills me? So many people had it worse than me and somehow I found a way to not just fuck up my life, but fuck up all my friends, spread a very devastating disease, and disregard others feelings to the point that I stole from them." The problem I realized was "I didn't care. I didn't care about others, I didn't care about myself...hell I didn't care if I lived or died." Those feelings came from within. It wasn't any person around me pushing me to do better in my life. It wasn't the fact that I have a son that I love more than anything. It was plain and simple the fact that I had lost my ability, no, my desire to care. Stargazer is right. People don't end up finding that piece of their life that makes them complete in opiates because they are just doing fabulous. They also don't continue to use despite so many negative consequences because things are absolutely perfect and they are well adjusted. They use because they are broken. Something within them needs to be addressed that they may be hiding from everyone that cares about them, because they are either ashamed, or they know that those people that care will stop them from using.

Toothpaste dog also makes a very important point. Being in active addiction is a form of stagnation. Find out what each brother really wants out of life. Once you start using in an abusive manner you pretty much stop growing emotionally, and this is very important in understanding your goals, and understanding why you exist...your raison d'être if you will. Also, for the addict, most people around them know just how bad it is, but they always think they are still fooling everyone. "coming out" as an addict to your family and letting them know just how desperate they are is an extremely hard, emotional task for any addict. I started shooting morphine when I was fifteen years old because it helped me hide from my feelings. No one knew for a very long time. I had brief bouts of sobriety here and there...one being the nine months my ex was pregnant, and the subsequent year that I had my son...but after all the bad stuff went down in that relationship I went right back to using, even harder and with even stronger a death wish. My brother whom I lived with tried everything to help me. Finally he called my dad. One day I was shooting up in a shooting gallery and I get a phone call from my dad. He never calls me, he had written me off a while ago. He said something along the lines of "Are you okay? I've been hearing some bad things going on in your life. Your brother told me everything." I immediately started crying and I said "Yeah dad, I'm fucked up, strung out and wired up." He said "Do you need help?" (my dad had been a practicing IV coke addict for most of me growing up) I could barely muster the words "Yeah dad...I can't stop and I think I am dying." He started crying too and said "I will do anything to help you that you need." That ended the conversation. A week later he was driving me to rehab...me fucked up out of my gourd on 300+mg of morphine...him asking me directions....We hugged before I walked into detox and he said something I had never heard from him before. "You are making the right choice. I am proud of you.

Be supportive! Just know that if they fail, be there as a soft place to land, but let them know the only real failure is to stop trying. It took me four years or more of wanting/trying to stop to find out what works for me. Something that is a little sad to think of is that you need to be prepared mentally and emotionally if they fail...sometimes failure in heroin addiction means death.

Good luck. I am always here to talk if you need it.

Honestly, I am currently struggling (haven't used in a bit but having cravings; am currently on suboxone and know I would be out of my tree completely without it) but have had this problem for over a decade. I personally think if you are going to talk to them as opposed to them looking for help it may be tough. People don't always want to quit. I think in these instances talking to them about maintanence therapy might be an option to consider. It seems like this has a better chance of working than going cold turkey to detox in the situation where they really aren't sure what they want yet.

As bad as people make methadone sound, when I was on it I didn't have cravings, was functional, felt ok, didn't have the other behaviors that go along with it etc. and I really wasn't even at the point where I wanted to stop. Suboxone is another option but if their habits are very severe (in the sense of tolerance) then it may not be strong enough.

For me detoxes, jail, etc. never worked. I even got a 3 year sentence in state prison and just ended up using a needle that I tried to clean out with bleach I got from the mop closet and got hep C (I was paroled after a little over a year and went on suboxone at first, still used, went on methadone and was successful, but then my family pushed me back towards suboxone due to the having to drive to the clinic everyday). I do admittedly have severe pain and anxiety problems as well though and everyone will be different. But often people who aren't into drugs don't consider maintenence treatments which I have seen be successful much more frequently than detox.

I have to go with JM375 on this as well. Depending on how deep the addiction is, your brothers may need to be stabalized on methadone or suboxone to be able to start working on the problems they have created in their life.

I sent you a PM with some resources to help you cope as the family member of an addict.

I am a pro methadone person-even though it was a terrible experience for me...I was never stable.(sick in a cold sweat by 4pm everyday) I am a abberant (sp?) metabolizer and should've been split dosing...but I saw others, a lot of others in fact, that turned their lives around. Working, going to school, coming into the clinic every morning looking amazing! Without it that would've never happened. Everyone is different.

I've seen others turn their lives around on Suboxone. I believe in whatever helps an addict stay on course to get well.

Manboy...your post was emotional. I am so happy you heard that from your dad. He always felt that way, just couldn't say it<3 Amazing thread.

(^^Thank you for the edit. That is what I meant.:))

Thank you all. By god thank you all. I think the maintenance you guys have said is a really great idea. I still need to talk to my brothers more. One i don't talk to at all but lives with me (well both live with me) I'm still trying to establish a relationship with them. They both work and come home and be high and use all day. Im starting to hang out with one of them a lot his names ivan and the other remson. The reason we don't talk is because i guess were just a really fucked up family like that. Anyways I thank you all for your help. I wanna be able to fucking talk to my brothers and stop their suffering and pain and i don't wanna fucking lose them. I just don't want them to be sad.

I am a pro methadone person-even though it was a terrible experience for me...I was never stable.(sick in a cold sweat by 4pm everyday) I am a abberant (sp?) metabolizer and should've been split dosing...but I saw others, a lot of others in fact, that turned their lives around. Working, going to school, coming into the clinic every morning looking amazing! Without it that would've never happened. Everyone is different.

I've seen others turn their lives around on Suboxone. I believe in whatever helps an addict stay on course to get well.

Manboy...your post was emotional. I am so happy you heard that from your dad. He always felt that way, just couldn't say it<3 Amazing thread.

(^^Thank you for the edit. That is what I meant.:))

I quoted you because what you said really resonated with me. Everytime my parents found something, or heard something, or randomly showed up at my apartment unannounced and there were stamps or needle caps laying around (my dad was an IV coke user, he knew what those little orange things were) they thought I was "partying" you know, having a good time, when in reality my emotions were so fucked up that using was the only thing that gave me any sense of real relief.

Just offer your love and support I suppose. You can't tell anyone how to live their life IMO, especially not in regards to a vexing personal issue like addiction. At the same time don't be a doormat, don't allow yourself to be manipulated, don't enable. But let the individual(s) in your family know that, if they have a genuine desire to change the way they've been living, you'll be there for them...that's what I think, anyway.

Thank you all. By god thank you all. I think the maintenance you guys have said is a really great idea. I still need to talk to my brothers more. One i don't talk to at all but lives with me (well both live with me) I'm still trying to establish a relationship with them. They both work and come home and be high and use all day. Im starting to hang out with one of them a lot his names ivan and the other remson. The reason we don't talk is because i guess were just a really fucked up family like that. Anyways I thank you all for your help. I wanna be able to fucking talk to my brothers and stop their suffering and pain and i don't wanna fucking lose them. I just don't want them to be sad.

this is typical codependent type talk. You have no control the they way you feel. You only have control over the way you feel. Check out those sites I sent you. I can hook u up with someone that can help you get started. Just keep your message box clear and I will get her to message you and give you her username on that site.

Also, with maintenance there needs to be a little therapy along with it. The methodone or bupe stop the cravings, but your brothers need to search deep within themselves to start healing. Opiate addiction (different than dependence) is a soul sickness...they need to heal their souls in order to maintain lasting sobriety....even on bupe or methadone.

Adultswim...I know you love your brothers dearly, and it's unbearable to watch someone you love play this dangerous game. We're all fucked up. Everyone one of us, whether we use or not. My family, from all appearances from the outside looked normal.

Omg....well that was total fucking bullshit. My mother was a beautiful nurse by day-and a black-out, falling down, abusive alcoholic that beat the shit out of me on a pretty regular basis. My father was a very good-looking, funny gambling addict and womanizer. But, we had a nice home, nice cars, etc....my mother kept appearances up. The house was always immaculate, she took care of herself...etc.

I don't know many families, that aren't dysfunctional in some way. Continue to be there for your brothers, but let it be well known you aren't participating in their shenanigans. And draw the line. Another very important thing I want to tell you is do things for yourself that bring you happiness. Go out and have a good time with friends, etc. It's essential...

It's like the example of: If you were in a plane that was going down with your brothers and the oxygen masks dropped down. Who would you give the oxygen to first? You or them? You. There's no way you can help them if you don't get the oxygen first...something like that. All the best to you and your brothers adultswimbumpwatch.

C

I did everything to quit meetings staying busy and healthy when in my mind I didn't want to. The truth about drug use is you really do have to hit your bottom. Interventions give sobriety a push and so does the meetings but you have to WANT it. All that meetings and interventions is bullshit. Anyone I have ever known has relapsed at least ones with basically generic help. Talking to an addict makes them irritated not just because how it makes them feel but more the drugs make them agitated. All you can really do is support them in any way. Hide your meds don't give them money for anything EVER a dollar for a soda could be used for dope I know it because I lived it. Stress that you are there for them. But do not be a product of there addiction not only should you be mindful of them but you also have to be mindful for yourself.

I also think counseling would help. Everyones drug use is connected in some way to something that happened in your past my connection was the death of my brother. Death, having absent parents, being beat, rape...things of that nature. Counseling for their life would probably help tremendously. My drug use was to keep me numb and dumb to EVERYTHING and what I saw was a problem I would make an excuse by creating another problem. Like my dad used to beat me I'm over that now but it doesn't matter because my brother passed.

I also think counseling would help. Everyones drug use is connected in some way to something that happened in your past my connection was the death of my brother. Death, having absent parents, being beat, rape...things of that nature. Counseling for their life would probably help tremendously. My drug use was to keep me numb and dumb to EVERYTHING and what I saw was a problem I would make an excuse by creating another problem. Like my dad used to beat me I'm over that now but it doesn't matter because my brother passed.

I think that's an overstatement. I don't have any real trauma like what you just mentioned, esp. not human-based trauma (like domestic violence or rape)

My early life/childhood was actually really good and I have no complaints. My parents are great people. And yet still I've abused drugs.