• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Improving Short Term Memory

enkephalin

Bluelighter
Hey, I have been smoking about 2-3 times a day, nothing TOO much, but my memory has seem to be going down the crapper. I have noticed it seems to be more my recall ability, because once I can recall something, I seem to have a fairly good recolection of it. Anyways, I was wondering if there are any supplements such as ginko bibleo (sp) or nootropics(sp) that could help improve my memory? Cuz if not I might have to stop smoking ::gasp::

Make choices!
Seriously, although I think those supplements could help (if they even do it's not much), you should quit smoking if it interferes with your memory skills.
Are you using other drugs too?

not to be an asshole, but what you describe is technically a problem with retreival of long-term memory. Short-term memory problems would manifest themselves as you forgetting what you're thinking about or what you're doing (perhaps temporarily).

Ebola is correct in a sense...

Here's a test we give to patients with memory dysfunction in our office.

Have someone give you three totally random words. After 5 minutes goes by see if you can remember them. If you miss any, then theres a good chance you have short term memory problems...see your friendly neighborhood neurologist :)

~*Doni*~

There are health risks with gingko (esp. people on blood thinners). Be careful. As far as nootropics, I've tried piracetam, and for me personally, didn't do crap. I stopped taking it after about a month. There are no definitive proof regarding nootropic's effects (or widely accepted theory on how it works for that matter). There are studies going on regarding it's effectiveness on schizophrenic patients, but those results are questionnable at best. However, some say it works. I don't think there's anything wrong with trying piracetam. Just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Here's a wild idea...smoke less. I'm assuming this isn't one of the options though.....

Transition Flow said:
There are health risks with gingko (esp. people on blood thinners). Be careful. As far as nootropics, I've tried piracetam, and for me personally, didn't do crap. I stopped taking it after about a month. There are no definitive proof regarding nootropic's effects (or widely accepted theory on how it works for that matter). There are studies going on regarding it's effectiveness on schizophrenic patients, but those results are questionnable at best. However, some say it works. I don't think there's anything wrong with trying piracetam. Just because it didn't work for me, doesn't mean it won't work for you.

Here's a wild idea...smoke less. I'm assuming this isn't one of the options though.....

I've used them over a longer period of time (which is necessary for them to take effect, approx 2 months before any noticeable effects appear), but the effects are not that overwhelming indeed. Used a whole range of the stuff, piracetam, lucidril, Hydergin FAS, vinpocetine and more, incl. ginkgo... The nootropics aren't worth the money it costs to purchase them, that's for sure, Ginkgo is another story. Worked fine for my shattered memory.. What Ginkgo health risks do you mean btw?

Topicstarter > if you do decide to start using nootropics, smoking/drinking in the meantime won't do you any good. It will probably even worsen your memory loss.

Last edited:
There are other herbs like brahmi which can improve memory function (they say). I have personally found that there is a noticable difference from using ginko (in a formula also containing vitamin/mineral support plus oats and siberian ginseng). This formula is sold as a study aid. The thing with these approaches to supporting memory function is that they do take a while for you to notice the effects (that usually happens for me at the end of a semester when I stop taking them!). I think the latest "memory complex" formulas in my country have both ginko and brahmi.

It would be wise to cut down on smoking pot if you believe that is the cause of your memory problems.

I think that Transition Flow was referring to the fact that Ginko can interfere with some prescribed pharmaceuticals, particularly warfarin. If you take medications prescribed by your doctor, please ask either your doc or a pharmacist if the combo is ok.

i think u just need to exercise you mind, if your just sitting around watching TV and eating out the cupboards your probably not thinking too much.

Finding an activity which makes u think, or work things out would be much better than any herb.

When i stopped smoking my memory was bad, and it wasnt until i was forced to think all the time that it came back

just my opinion

yeah i had that problem well bad all my mates (non smoking ones) noticed my memory loss to, like 4 instance, id start telling a story of what happened 2me during the day and half way through id find myself struggling to figure out words 2 decribe my actions and find it hard to remember the story.

its a very diconserting feeling u really notice it, also id make a sandwch and jus leave it then id come back to the kitchen and see it there and think "o yeah"

my suggestion mate really is to cut down not give it up jus to do it moderation, mebbie summin 4 the weekends. i know its hard i found it hard to give it up 4a day let alone 5, but if u can u should.

id start telling a story of what happened 2me during the day and half way through id find myself struggling to figure out words 2 decribe my actions and find it hard to remember the story.

Yes...i always get this the next day after using any drug, but particually smoking weed. I'm having it now while i'm trying to put a paragragh together. it feels like a "mental block"... and can be frustrating coz i know i have the words in my head somewhere, they just won't come out.

I also get it badly, if i oversleep.

I believe it is induced by the tiredness/mongyness weed gives you... or, just general tiredness.

This subject has been discussed between my mates recently, we refer to it as "the stupid disease". It seems to extend onto other things... do u ever find urself doing really dumbass things, like fucking up simple math calculations, or catching the wrong bus etc..

Last edited:
damn i have problems with the memory also. but who the fuck cares when you have the goodness of weed. i mean do you really need to remember what you did 5 minutes ago? NO. who cares? the most important is to have ok long term memory, cause you lose that its getting bad. so keep on smoking and dont pay attention to that.

volume-A said:
i think u just need to exercise you mind, if your just sitting around watching TV and eating out the cupboards your probably not thinking too much.

Finding an activity which makes u think, or work things out would be much better than any herb.

When i stopped smoking my memory was bad, and it wasnt until i was forced to think all the time that it came back

just my opinion

He's right there you know. I started to worry about my memory performance, but I always try to do activities which involve using the brain to think quite a bit. It's quite easy for me to be able to do that cos I always have uni work to do and stuff.

If I got thru long periods of mental inactivity, I always begin to feel like my brain is rotting away, drugs or no drugs....

DjMiro said:
damn i have problems with the memory also. but who the fuck cares when you have the goodness of weed. i mean do you really need to remember what you did 5 minutes ago? NO. who cares? the most important is to have ok long term memory, cause you lose that its getting bad. so keep on smoking and dont pay attention to that.

And DjMiro, I think thats poor advice to give. Telling someone to ignore the signs of poor health is bad advice.

Last edited:
sMiLeYcHrIs
but I always try to do activities which involve using the brain to think

LOL

on other topics, the disruption caused by Weed et al. is in the short-to-long term memory conversion process.

the following WORK in restoring/improving this mechanism, as supported by an extensive clinical and anecdotal body of evidence. as do many other commonly available nootropics.

piracetam (Nootropil) works
Anacervix (piracetam+vincamine) works better
Hydergine works
centrophenoxine (Lucidril) works
l-phenylalanine works
l-deprenyl (Jumex, Lucidril, Eldepryl) works (caution advised)

most available herbal extracts, imnsho, have little cognition enhancing value.

DjMiro said:
in what way short memory loss is a problem?

It may not be a problem to you, but I bet many of us here care about our general and mental health. thats why we post here. If you arent bothered about yours, then thats up to you, but it's wrong to advice people NOT to pay attention to what their bodies and minds are telling them about their health...

I just bought a Ginkgo & Brahmi complex which contains ginkgo, gotu kola and brahmi to try and boost my concentration and memory when studying.

About gotu kola, it says: "Gotu kola increases vein tone". What does that mean, exactly?

Anyway the chick at the store said it takes 3-4 weeks for anything noticeable to happen, she said you must bring the level of the herb up in your system and then sustain it before it is of any help.

Is there a link between amphetamine use and low concentration levels? I think sleep deprivation has been more damaging to my studies than actual drug use, any advice would be great.

p.s after getting my mid-semester results, I'm definitely taking a LONG break from any illicit drugs (I scraped through, just).