• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Any drugs out there actually suppress alcohol cravings?

nuttynutskin

Bluelighter
Lately I've been craving BAD and I did talk to my doctor about a week ago about what options are out there. As far as medication I'm only aware of the drug that makes you sick if you drink on it. But are there any to help cravings? Benzos are out of the question because I'm already prescribed 2mgs of xanax daily and have been taking it for years. And honestly the one that makes you sick just seems pointless unless it's court ordered I guess, because all you'd have to do to drink is quit taking it.

Alcohol is your drug of abuse? Any other drug cravings you are trying to suppress?

If it's just alcohol, I would consider naltrexone injection/implantation/tablets (preferably injection or tablets)

Q: Do you want to quit taking xanax as well? How long have you taken 2mg/day?

Yeah alcohol is my only drug of abuse. I don't count my xanax because I'm prescribed it and don't abuse it. I've been taking it for for so long now (probably 4 years or so) I don't get any high or anything from it. It basically just keeps me at baseline more or less and from going through withdrawals. As far as the naltrexone tho, I thought that just made you sick if you drank, but upon further glancing at some info I just pulled up I must have been thinking of something else. I really don't know shit all about it tho without doing some research.

Yeah alcohol is my only drug of abuse. I don't count my xanax because I'm prescribed it and don't abuse it. I've been taking it for for so long now (probably 4 years or so) I don't get any high or anything from it. It basically just keeps me at baseline more or less and from going through withdrawals. As far as the naltrexone tho, I thought that just made you sick if you drank, but upon further glancing at some info I just pulled up I must have been thinking of something else. I really don't know shit all about it tho without doing some research.

The μ-opioid antagonism blocks downstream reinforcing effects of alcohol, in effect, making it far less "pleasurable".

Hey nutty, I have the same problem craving alcohol and was prescribed naltrexone tablets. My doctor assured me it was safe for people with liver disease but it made me very nauseated. Shortly after that I lost my insurance so I never really gave it a chance. Like Captain said, you can drink while using it but you won't feel the same effects. Naltrexone won't make you sick like antabuse either. It's worth checking into.

My psychiatrist prescribed me a drug called Campral. I don't know anything about it and am skeptical but you could read up on it if you want. But to be honest I didn't give it a chance - took it for like 4 weeks and felt like if anything I was more focused on thinking about "not drinkin" that it made me crave more often(cause u need to take it more than once a day), but that's probly just me, a psychological thingy. I'm still struggling with alcohol, such a shitty habit! The only thing I can say helps me is exercise, weed, and generally keeping yourself busy whilst challenging your mind-set at a pace that suits you (with the overall goal in mind). That's what I'm trying anyway plus antabuse in a few weeks once I cut down enough just to break through the habit (still undecided though, stuff to consider) - good luck.

Last edited:
Seroquel. DMT. Ketamine. MDMA. All of those put me right off drinking. I could barely drink last night on meth, 3 bottles that was it. Was too dehydrated.

My psychiatrist prescribed me a drug called Campral. I don't know anything about it and am skeptical but you could read up on it if you want. But to be honest I didn't give it a chance - took it for like 4 weeks and felt like if anything I was more focused on thinking about "not drinkin" that it made me crave more often(cause u need to take it more than once a day), but that's probly just me, a psychological thingy. I'm still struggling with alcohol, such a shitty habit! The only thing I can say helps me is exercise, weed, and generally keeping yourself busy whilst challenging your mind-set at a pace that suits you (with the overall goal in mind). That's what I'm trying anyway plus antabuse in a few weeks once I cut down enough just to break through the habit (still undecided though, stuff to consider) - good luck.

Acamprosate is designed to reduce withdrawal symptoms from alcohol. If ones cravings are largely from withdrawal symptoms then this medication might help.

If the cravings occur at a baseline sobriety, I doubt it would help.

^^ I dont believe this is true. It was shown to be no better than placebo in diminishing alcohol intake in still drinking alcoholics but superior in reducing intake in those already detoxed. Combo of Campral and Naltrexone is even better.

Like Captain said, you can drink while using it but you won't feel the same effects. Naltrexone won't make you sick like antabuse either. It's worth checking into.

Tell you what I'm gonna ask my psychiatrist for this instead of antabuse! Thanks!

Edit: Bas! Don't prescribe it here (Scotland, UK)

Last edited:
I've never taken any medications to curb alcohol cravings but I know a guy who was on Antabuse which is a medication that works by making you vomit or sick if you drink even a tiny quantity of alcohol.

Have you tried associating drinking alcohol with the negative aspects of it for you? This can work for some people and medication is not required.

Talk to your doctor that prescribes the Xanax to you about how you are craving alcohol and ask if there are medications for it besides antabuse or what you can do.

Good luck.

Have you considered seeking therapy? Sometimes there are unresolved issues in our past that lead us to drug cravings. I know this isn't true for everyone, but is for myself. <3

<terrible advice, unfunny as a joke and inappropriate for this section of Bluelight>

Last edited by a moderator: