• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Na

Green Bean

Bluelighter
Hey people.

Was just wondering what you all think about NA? Good, bad, indifferent, I would like to know what your experience of it is. Ta :)

I have a fairly positive opinion of NA, though I understand why many others do not. Not everyone's belief systems are compatible with NA. Many other diverse impressions of NA are formed based on the kind of meetings there are in their area which may not reflect the common attitudes of NA meetings in other areas. There's a fairly large degree to which NA beliefs are open to interpretation and are interpreted differently from group to group. Like what counts as clean, the nature of a higher power, etc.

The area I live in is fairly progressive and so NA meetings here reflect a fairly liberal interpretation. By which I mean there is no religious component to meetings of any kind that I've heard of other people being alienated by in their local meetings. Outside of the basic belief in some vague concept of a higher power of your choosing. What counts as clean (with regards to maintenance) is fairly broad. So to me, NA is simply a spiritual and social support program for those with drug problems to seek support and help from those who have found NA's way of getting clean to have been helpful to them. Nevertheless, I recognize some people won't be able to reconcile NA's spiritual component with their own beliefs, or may find the groups in their area to be much less open minded than the ones where I live.

NA's a way, perhaps not the best way, and certainly not the only way. There are valid criticisms to be made, but NA is a valid choice and a successful one for many.

The various meetings I've been too have generally always been fairly supportive, non-confrontational, non-judging, and open.

Thanks JessFR.

Meetings where I am are few and far between and we were actively encouraged to go to AA meetings instead when an NA wasn't available. I struggled with this as I couldn't freely stand up and say I was an alcoholic when I am not. It felt like a whole other lie and lying was something I was trying to leave behind.

Saved my life, easily the most important thing for me in my recovery. Also, I had a great experience with AA in the UK as well.

I like NA...the problem I have is due to a bad experience. The meetings weren't so anonymous for me. Some girl, that was friends w my ex inlaws, husband, and had a big mouth was in there w me. She divulged a lot of things to them that were said in meeting that caused ALOT of problems for me.

But the meeting itself....its a good thing. :)

You should take my advice with a grain of salt: (as some of you know) I've been unsuccessfully trying to kick heroin for months.

That said, I'll mention that my experience with NA was negative. I know there is a population of people who do benefit from 12-step programs; godspeed. But I'm not one of those people. And for me the really negative part was what happened socially once I pushed back a couple of times when things seemed kinda bonkers. It got nasty.

It might also be a function of my local NA scene. I'm sure there are groups in other towns that are a little less dogmatic, or at least less mean.

Always good to be able to talk freely however the first half hour is a total waste just reading stuff they read every meeting seems to be just for the beginners... whats the point. Dislike 12 steps and dislike that many of the members are "NA addicts" where they talk about it nonstop and only associate with other 12step junkies.

It's the best "group therapy" many people have access to, and in that regard, I'm glad it exists.