• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Another long-acting synthetic opioid struggle

lolno

Greenlighter
For the better of 8-9 years I've been on and off suboxone, methadone, suboxone, and so on.

I've given up staying on that trash and sweating all the time. I'm on day 5 (maybe 6) hell or maybe 7. Point is I didn't sleep during onset of WD. I've gathered my COWS up and it was obvious I was in full fledge WD once I purchased some percocets to help ease the pain. I've read everyone about people tapering down on subs which I did taper down quite low and only was taking once daily.

So now I'm curbing my WDs with oxycodone, in no way abusing them, taking about anywhere from 7.5mg to 10mg every 6 hours? ROA is oral, of course, only needles I've ever used were by my tattoo artists friends and shop owners, and the occasional doctor visit, so my question is; how long should I take the oxycodone?

A little more info; the switching between methadone and suboxone was getting off one and onto the latter. My entire objective consist of getting off long-acting synthetized opioids. Will this work at the rate I'm going? Obviously you get on methadone and subs to get off opiates but truly I wasn't bad on opiates prior, I was a benzos fanatic. I was in a bad wreck at a young age and had five docs writing me scripts ranging from Demerol to Lorcet. Got hooked. Kept taking painkillers. Got off pks and got on opioid replacement drugs.

Thank you in advance for your replies.

(also I am fluent in medical pharmaceutical chat so lamen's terms aren't required just don't go all bio-chemical on me)

You shouldn't be on oxycodone at all if you're trying to get off opiates. It's shorter acting so you're moving in the wrong direction.

Did you do a taper when you came off the suboxone?

Yep. I was on Subsolv. I know it's a contradiction in itself but am I not correct that short acting opiated should in fact ease the pain of WDs? I have not a worry in the world about painkillers, I just want the WDs to not be as intense, as I already take meds to treat symptoms; such as Zoloft 150mg, klonopin 2mg and lisinopril 10mg. All taken daily.

The only way down is to rattle, frankly. Yes, it will hurt, but having once been given a high dose of a very strong opioid for pain, the physical is nothing compared to the depression. I think Klonopin is worse than opioids. If you get hooked on them, it makes opioids look like a Pepsi habit.

Well the klonopin doesn't do shit now for me. I take it for anxiety. So with that being said of course we all know too well that opioid withdrawals cause heightened anxiety levels, but honestly since I've been WDing and taking between 7.5-15mg oxycodone every 6-8hrs for pain and restlessness.

Benzodiazepines are a bitch to get off so I'll just stay on them – at least they don't destroy your insides (as bad as opioids.) Benzos cause grandmal seizures when abruptly stopping them instead of physical pain it's all mental.

But again, is there success stories of people curbing WDs from methadone or subs with short acting opioids such as oxycodone? It's hilarious that big pharma prescribes subs and it's basically makes you so ill for so long. As I said, painkillers weren't my thing really but I was young and subs hit the market and doctors were pushing it like crack dealers. However, I do have a few 7.5s and 30mgs(I'm cutting in half)

Basically 1-3 doses a day depending on how long I'm up because at first sleep was impossible. I know people have mixed feelings and opinions about using short-acting opioids to get off long-acting synthetic opioids.

And the addict in me isn't saying "oh you're off the opiate blockers, but opiates!" Once my stockpile is gone it's gone. I know my limits, however, I don't truly know how long subs WDs take to stop.

Last edited:
You shouldn't be on oxycodone at all if you're trying to get off opiates. It's shorter acting so you're moving in the wrong direction.

Did you do a taper when you came off the suboxone?

I disagree he is trying to go from a drug with withdrawal that lasts a month to a drug that withdrawal lasts a week. I think you should continue the oxy for about2 weeks in diminishing doses. The lower you go and longer you taper with oxy the better.

You might actually be prolonging your pain depending on the dose of subs you were on before you jumped off. I basically agree with crimson but I would shorten it even more and say you should try to do it in no more than 10 days. I'm also adding that you should only take the oxy when you're in a LOT of discomfort and then take the smallest dose you can that will still take the edge off.
Good luck to you.
I recently finished a taper off subs that lasted 8 years.

If your plan doesn't work out for you then go back on the subs and taper it further. 2 mg is still a fairly high amount to jump off. I went down to .25mg. At that amount, acute withdrawal lasted 5 days (mostly mild severity with a couple of rough patches) with 2 more days of mild weakness and nausea in the a.m. Insomia lasted 3 weeks but I'm extremely prone to that on a good day.

It would have gone fine if I hadn't slipped up with oxy's after a couple of months. I recommend you get a relapse prevention plan in place and become familiar with your triggers so the long game doesn't bring you down. Be careful with the oxy's. I didn't think I'd be interested in catching a buzz after all that time but as we all know, addiction is a sneaky jerk.
Best of luck
Alpha