• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Any other SLE managers in here? Or maybe u were one...

siq

Bluelighter
I was wondering what your compensation is/was for managing the SLE? I know most get free rent, but I don't get anything besides that. I"ve been doing this a couple years now. My house has anywhere from 7-15 people at one time. I do all the walkthroughs and intakes, as well as all the other typical house manager duties. I'm here 24/7.. .

I read somewhere online that house managers actually get paid. Some of them even get a monthly percentage of the rent... Am I getting screwed here or is it typical to do this for free rent only?

I've lived in several other SLEs around Califronia, and to my knowledge none of the managers were getting paid. But now I'm thinking they may just have not said anything.

If you are needed to be on-call 24/7 and you get nothing but free rent that is terrible....how are you supposed to buy groceries? I don't even know who runs these things? Is it counties? Where do they get their funding?

If you are needed to be on-call 24/7 and you get nothing but free rent that is terrible....how are you supposed to buy groceries? I don't even know who runs these things? Is it counties? Where do they get their funding?

It's usually privately owned. In my state there is very Little regulation or certifications required to start or run one. It's an area where I would like to see more regulation and transperancy as many have unethical practices.

Last edited:
Yes, I know when Caleb was looking for one it was actually his parole officer that warned us away from them--he said they are not overseen at all and that many of them are the opposite of SL.

SLE = Sober Living Environment? Most people that I know only get free rent. My loved one is currently in a SLE. Long story, I haven't talked to her in like 2 months (she needs to focus on herself after a relapse about a half year ago). I know in her places they just get free rent (and the place she lives in has to be racking it in cash wise).

In my state, the lack of regulations that SLE places have to follow appalls me. Basically, anyone can use the "Fair Housing Law" to start one.... they are starting to get cracked down on though.

Yeah I never really thought about it until a few days ago. I really do alot for no pay... I mean I dont want to sound selfish or ungrateful but thats how I feel. I think thats why many SLE owners get away with it...They claim its "service work." Meanwhile, they rent out the house and charge 12 people $550 a month to stay there. But I do all the work.

Yeah I never really thought about it until a few days ago. I really do alot for no pay... I mean I dont want to sound selfish or ungrateful but thats how I feel. I think thats why many SLE owners get away with it...They claim its "service work." Meanwhile, they rent out the house and charge 12 people $550 a month to stay there. But I do all the work.

My ex pays 275 a WEEK! But its a very nice house in a good neighborhood. If she was receiving some treatment there it would be different, but she does outpatient at a different facility.

Not getting paid is bullshit but the problem is there is no incentive for them to pay you because they will just con someone else into doing "service work". Its all about money just like most everything in this world.

Most SLE's do end up helping people at some level. If you put a bunch of people in recovery together then good things tend to happen. Especially when meetings, curfews are enforced and there are people with more clean time willing to help newer people. Most people in recovery have a strong desire to help others in a similar situation.

Like I said earlier, my real problem is that in my state literally anybody can start a "treatment" or "SLE" place. Sadly, this isn't going to get better with our new Governor (who cut mental health services by 20 percent, addiction services by 20 percent and isn't paying medicaid).

I am probably going to start a new thread about this but:

http://gawker.com/josh-duggar-s-sex-rehab-is-probably-just-another-chri-1726747380

Is maybe 2-3 miles away from the house where I grew up. This place is very close to a cult. But it gets to claim it is a "treatment" program. This is a very extreme example of course.

Most SLE's do end up helping people at some level. If you put a bunch of people in recovery together then good things tend to happen. Especially when meetings, curfews are enforced and there are people with more clean time willing to help newer people. Most people in recovery have a strong desire to help others in a similar situation.

Like I said earlier, my real problem is that in my state literally anybody can start a "treatment" or "SLE" place. Sadly, this isn't going to get better with our new Governor (who cut mental health services by 20 percent, addiction services by 20 percent and isn't paying medicaid).

I am probably going to start a new thread about this but:

http://gawker.com/josh-duggar-s-sex-rehab-is-probably-just-another-chri-1726747380

Is maybe 2-3 miles away from the house where I grew up. This place is very close to a cult. But it gets to claim it is a "treatment" program. This is a very extreme example of course.
That place sounds looney tunes. And his sister had a quote in the press saying that she hoped the rehab would break him. Places like that scare me.

I have a friend in desperate need of treatment who comes from a family without resources who is looking for a free rehab that will accept her and her 5 year old daughter. The only places we have found are religous type places. The least Culty one I have found in the southeast is in Nashville TN. It offers 3-4 weeks of bible study and group counseling before putting the girls to work for 6-9 months. Then they have "affordable" "nice" transitional housing and job placement to finish it off. I don't really think she is going to get much phycholigical help or experience the best practices modern medicine has to offer but it's something. And she needs something. It's just been disheartening to experience how bad the situation is of your not insured and/or have a few grand to put up front. Even the local hellhole places want 500 dollars down payment for 30 days.

I am scared for her and her daughter. I promised her a ride home anytime she called but that's no guarantee it won't all end in tragedy.

That place sounds looney tunes. And his sister had a quote in the press saying that she hoped the rehab would break him. Places like that scare me.

I have a friend in desperate need of treatment who comes from a family without resources who is looking for a free rehab that will accept her and her 5 year old daughter. The only places we have found are religous type places. The least Culty one I have found in the southeast is in Nashville TN. It offers 3-4 weeks of bible study and group counseling before putting the girls to work for 6-9 months. Then they have "affordable" "nice" transitional housing and job placement to finish it off. I don't really think she is going to get much phycholigical help or experience the best practices modern medicine has to offer but it's something. And she needs something. It's just been disheartening to experience how bad the situation is of your not insured and/or have a few grand to put up front. Even the local hellhole places want 500 dollars down payment for 30 days.

I am scared for her and her daughter. I promised her a ride home anytime she called but that's no guarantee it won't all end in tragedy.

SLEs are a great place to stay clean, don't get me wrong. I am only commenting on my situation as a manager. Sober living homes are the only place I've ever been able to stay sober after rehab. When it comes down to it, its just a place that a group of guys live with rules. Like a sober frat house, haha. You use and you're out, thats the line in the sand... and it works well. Sober living should be mandatory for someone coming out of rehab. Personally I have seen very few leave rehab, go live on their own and make it. It just doesn't happen for most of us. SLEs are a safety net, thats the best way to describe it. And u can stay here as long as u need.

BTW, there is no religious ties here, and its not a cult. Everyone is an individual and does their own thing. We support eachother.

As far as your friend is concerned... It is very hard to find a good womens SLE I'm afraid. They're out there but very rare. Womens SLEs just don't work. They don't get along like men. haha Good luck though.

Yeah like I said, the link I posted isn't a SLE really, its just that they currently can claim its treatment. I look at places like that as the same as "Gay Conversation Therapy" aka total bullshit that does harm.

It is almost essential that a person does some type of halfway house or SLE after treatment. Statistics and studies prove this. This time around, I was able to get clean without treatment/SLE but I had been through that stuff in the past and I "knew" what I had to do to make it work this time. (Go to meetings, ask for help, listen, work steps, exercise, eat healthy, medicine, therapy).

SLEs are a great place to stay clean, don't get me wrong. I am only commenting on my situation as a manager. Sober living homes are the only place I've ever been able to stay sober after rehab. When it comes down to it, its just a place that a group of guys live with rules. Like a sober frat house, haha. You use and you're out, thats the line in the sand... and it works well. Sober living should be mandatory for someone coming out of rehab. Personally I have seen very few leave rehab, go live on their own and make it. It just doesn't happen for most of us. SLEs are a safety net, thats the best way to describe it. And u can stay here as long as u need.

BTW, there is no religious ties here, and its not a cult. Everyone is an individual and does their own thing. We support eachother.

As far as your friend is concerned... It is very hard to find a good womens SLE I'm afraid. They're out there but very rare. Womens SLEs just don't work. They don't get along like men. haha Good luck though.

I understand all that I was just venting over the situation really. She needs a rehab not a SLE. I'm not a fan of kicking people out who have a relapse policy though. Most sane treatment proffesionals recognize that relapse is a part of addiction and getting sober is a process. When someone slips up that's the time they need support the most not the least. I am not saying they should be allowed to harm other people's recovery but I don't believe in the tough love and consequences model. It hurts more people than it helps. Once someone realizes that they can survive on the street with no help all of a sudden that fear factor is gone and they go buck wild until they die or go to prison. Instead I think the rehab and SLE should work in tandem. If you relapse than you should be sent or have the option to go back to inpatient for a week or so identify what went wrong then be sent to a different SLE.

I know that can get expensive and it isn't as easy or cut and dry as the current system but it would better serve the clients. Unfortuantly a lot of the behavior I have seen from the industry leads me to believe that serving the clients is not the top priority. It falls below making a profit. In a perfect world treatment would be government funded or at least not prohibitively expensive. Many families get burned by places that charge a couple grand upfront then spit the patient back out 30 days later with a nice ceremony and a see you later. Then when relapse occurs they say sure we can help for another coup,e grand. Well most families get dried up pretty quick doing that shit. So it's a fucked up situation. The whole system is broken as hell. I always show people interested in the topic the article the huffington post did called "dying to be free". I'm on mobile so can't link but you should google and read that article it's really fire.