• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Think I've Finally Found My Way Out

Oxy_Ghost

Bluelighter
I think I've finally found my way out of my drug addiction. I came here back around April of 2014 when I was detoxing and trying to stay clean. Well I stayed clean for a while, found a job and everything seemed like it was going well. But I eventually fell back in to the trap, started stealing things from my work place and now I could be looking at some jail time. Over the past few months I've been to jail twice, once for the stuff at work and then again for a probation violation. I'm out now, obviously, but I've picked up a new Hobby that's turning in to something more than just a hobby.

I met a guy in an IOP class I was going too last year. We didn't really talk much but we were friends on Facebook. One day he asked if I wanted to go play paintball with him. Having not played in a really long time I didn't hesitate to go. Now we go play every weekend at our local paintball field, building a team and gonna start volunteer reffing soon. This had really taken my mind off wanting to use.

I don't have a job or anything right now and paintball is a very expensive sport, spending almost over $100 every time we go. But being the awesome friend he is, he's paid my way multiple times. And to make things a little cheaper my awesome girl friend bought me a paintball gun and all the gear I would need. I can't be thankful enough for the two of them. My gf is still an active user but she lives a few hours away from me. Which is sorta a good things cuz I won't be around when she uses cuz that would just make me want to but at the same time it's hard cuz I love her very much. We've been together for 8 years yesterday and have a 6 year old daughter together.

I've had plenty of chances to use, my gf will send me money so that I can go play paintball and it's just enough to get what I would want but having stated playing paintball, I would much rather spend the money on that than drugs. And it has helped me tremendously.

Just thought I'd share and let ppl know that finding a hobby can really help and change things like it has for me

Awesome post bro. Sounds like you got some good support over there. Its ok you have slipped, as long as you get back up. As you keep getting peripds of clean time, eventually (hopefully) theyll continue to be longer and longer.

Funny enough me and my co-worker were talking the other day and paintball randomly came up, and it was the first paintball conversation either one of us had in yearsssss. Time, lack of anybody playing and life you know?

Maybe, well get back into it, your not in NY are ya? Hahaha

Regardless, im a firm believer that nature, exercise, especially combined can really do wonderful things for the human. Many people lose touch with nature because of hours we work, and the shitty life style grind most people get stuck with. I believe our one life on this planet was not meant to be sitting in traffic, to sit in a cubicle, to go home and sit inside. Lol. But yea im rambling.

Enjoy

Awesome post bro. Sounds like you got some good support over there. Its ok you have slipped, as long as you get back up. As you keep getting peripds of clean time, eventually (hopefully) theyll continue to be longer and longer.

Funny enough me and my co-worker were talking the other day and paintball randomly came up, and it was the first paintball conversation either one of us had in yearsssss. Time, lack of anybody playing and life you know?

Maybe, well get back into it, your not in NY are ya? Hahaha

Regardless, im a firm believer that nature, exercise, especially combined can really do wonderful things for the human. Many people lose touch with nature because of hours we work, and the shitty life style grind most people get stuck with. I believe our one life on this planet was not meant to be sitting in traffic, to sit in a cubicle, to go home and sit inside. Lol. But yea im rambling.

Enjoy

Haha no I'm in NC but as far as getting out and exercising goes paintball is my way and riding bikes with my daughter. RLS was one of the worst withdrawal symptoms I get. It would get so bad that I would use just to make it go away and getting out and running around and stuff works wonders to make the pain go away or at least take my mind off it. It's not anywhere near as bad anymore but I still get it a little. But yeah man you definitely get back in to it. Balls flying past your face at +/-300 feet per second can get the adrenaline flowing haha. It'd definitely the funnest sport I've ever played and don't plan on stopping any time soon.

And thank you very much Min30

Sounds good and like you are meeting some people that are clean. Do you go to any type of support group where you can meet other clean addicts?

Sounds good and like you are meeting some people that are clean. Do you go to any type of support group where you can meet other clean addicts?

There's tons of AA and NA meeting that happen all day every day where I live but I haven't gone to any and I start back in IOP tomorrow. But right now the only ppl in my life are sober ones, except my gf, but she lives in another state and I'm trying to help her get clean. She wants to but the stage she's at, it's pretty hard. But I don't go out and do anything really except play paintball and I don't talk to anyone except my friend that I play paintball with. We're either playing paintball or just chilling at his house listening to music and stuff. Other than that I'm not much of a social person, I like to stick to myself

Oxy, it's great not only that you have gotten so into paintball but that you and this guy have connected so easily. It really helps to have a friend you can just be yourself with. <3

Paintball is so awesome! I haven't played in like 12 years but it is the best sport I ever participated in. The adrenaline, tactics,skill. Just everything about is very addicting. I'm thinking about going to play sometime soon myself.

^Still have all the stuff from both my boys in the attic--hope there aren't any actual paintballs in those duffel bags or we are in trouble--that attic gets hot enough to melt them all over everything else. From what I remember, they would save and save for the gun they wanted only to have them break after a few uses. I do remember them loving it but I have to say, as the mom, I was horrified when they came home with all those welts and bruises. I would say, "That was FUN??" And their response was always, "yep, totally.":\