• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

Will this cause benzo withdrawal? (clonazepam)

ovo1024

Bluelighter
So I've been taking 3-4mg of klonopin a day for about 5 days and will be doing so for another 5 days at most. Both therapeutic and recreational. I've never had a benzo dependency before I've abused them for a couple years tho probably twice a month of going on a 2 day binge or so. After the next 5 days I will be stopping and run out. What should I expect? Will it be to much to handle? Any advice Will be great. Thank you BL

I'd say it's a roll of the dice on whether you will experience full blown withdrawal or not. At the very least you can probably expect some gnarly rebound anxiety for a few days. It's never good to cold turkey off of benzos. Perhaps you should start weaning with what you have left.

Last edited:
Well I can't see a full blown withdrawal with seizures with such short use even tho the doses are a bit high. The rebound anxiety is what scares me most I just took 4mg and may have a couple beers but that's all I have 6mg left I'll probably take it easy with those since I been taking them every day for almost a week. I just can't deal with the anxiety I normally have :( and cbt doesn't work for me

No one can predict with 100% accuracy what you will experience. That's about 30mg klonopin at least, and 40mg at most, so about 35mg klonopin. I would definitely think that much klonopin would cause some sort of withdrawal, even if used for only ten days. Also, your earlier abuse will have an additive dependency aspect.

Using alcohol will not make things any easier for you, especially combining it with klonopin. You're making the eventual withdrawal that much worse.

Have you honestly given CBT a fighting chance? It's supposed to be really helpful for anxiety. To say it doesn't work for you and at the same time shoot yourself in the foot by drinking alcohol makes me think that you don't want to put in the hard, necessary if painful, work towards getting at the core of your anxiety. This may sound rude, but I hope you understand that there is no easy fix for our problems. And there is always someone who is worse off than yourself.

So I've been taking 3-4mg of klonopin a day for about 5 days and will be doing so for another 5 days at most. Both therapeutic and recreational. I've never had a benzo dependency before I've abused them for a couple years tho probably twice a month of going on a 2 day binge or so. After the next 5 days I will be stopping and run out. What should I expect? Will it be to much to handle? Any advice Will be great. Thank you BL

I've had experience with xanax, ativan, and klonopin. Out of the three, klonopin has the longest half life. In my experience, klonopin is the least likely to cause withdrawal over a 10 day period. My gut feeling is that you should be OK, but you should still be careful about it. You should just try to stop now or at least start tapering your dose down. 3-4 mg/ day is a lot. Good luck.

To be on the safe side I'd use the next 5-7 days to taper; try tapering down to .25 and see how you're feeling in the meantime. That will be a good gauge for whether or not you'll experience any symptoms, but I can't really see you having really dangerous, full-blown, seizing type symptoms. Not to say it couldn't happen, it's just not very likely.

You'll be fine. Granted everyone is different but for me I was taking twice as much as you were and for a much longer time. Taper yourself. Don't take 5 a day then run out. Save yourself 4 and take 2 a day for two days and you should be fine

Yep I was fine no withdraw symptoms I spaced my last ones out and drank beer had no issues