• BASIC DRUG
    DISCUSSION
    Welcome to Bluelight!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Benzo Chart Opioids Chart
    Drug Terms Need Help??
    Drugs 101 Brain & Addiction
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums
  • BDD Moderators: Keif’ Richards | negrogesic

how often can a prescription be filled

Status
Not open for further replies.

skitsofrantik75

Bluelighter
I'm still getting used to this site and I understand you have rules so I am not intentionally breaking them. I did use the search but couldn't find what I was needing to know. Short back story, had a serious car accident in 98 shattered vertebrae in my back, had a spinal fusion, went well for 10 years. Fast forward 15 years, I waited till about a year ago to get on any kind of meds, muscle relaxants, or anything. My NP started prescribing me lortab 5/500 and it got so bad she upped it to 7.5/325. She is very compassionate and someone I have known since I moved here and my wife went to school with her.

Okay here's the sitch: I get a new prescription each month my one for this month was the 2nd of july. She has always filled them two days early, two days early this month will make it the 30th. Will she look at it as two in the same month or go ahead and write it for me. I'm not out but I will be by the 30th. She writes me 2 a day for 30 days. I truly hope I'm not breaking any rules, and if its not in the right place feel free to move it, and I did use the search.

Thanks

Skitso

It really depends on the person. I get a prescription of Xanax on an, "as needed," basis, and when I call in to get a refill I never get questioned; whether it's 2 months or 6. If they don't suspect you of abusing I think they'll be lenient about refilling your script, but I've never dealt with refilling pain meds.

Best of luck, friend. Hope you get your back pains under control.

Thanks for the reply. And thanks for the well wishes. I've always gotten them 2 days early, but its never fell like this before. They don't suspect anything as I've never given them a reason. I was just worried about how it fell this time. 15 years of hard physical labor finally took its toll on me you know.

Skitso

Don't bump your posts.

Don't abuse the system. It may work for now but it may start a morsel of doubt in the back of her mind. She can cut you off whenever she feels it's appropriate, especially if you don't need the medication. Often you can renew a couple days early though, it is really at the determination of the pharmacist and your insurance.

Sorry about the bump. That's the thing I need my medication and she knows that. I've not given them a reason to think I'm abusing them. I only go in once a month and I've never asked for more or to up my dose.

If you tell her you were only able to get an appointment that day, and that you still have some, she should be willing to write you one. As for filling early, if a prescription is in your hands a pharmacy will fill it. The only hindrance is that if your insurance pays for it, they probably only let you get a 30 day supply every 30 days and your pharmacy will tell you if it's too soon. Mine even let's me make a co pay to fill early. Basically if you have the script you should be good.

If you tell her you were only able to get an appointment that day, and that you still have some, she should be willing to write you one. As for filling early, if a prescription is in your hands a pharmacy will fill it. The only hindrance is that if your insurance pays for it, they probably only let you get a 30 day supply every 30 days and your pharmacy will tell you if it's too soon. Mine even let's me make a co pay to fill early. Basically if you have the script you should be good.

Thanks that helps a lot. Im guessing that is where it comes in handy to pay in cash??

Thanks again

Tim

Yeah I remember one time I filled my bi weekly script a day early and had to pay around $20 to the pharmacy for 90 hydros. Obviously that price fluctuates by location, insurance, drug and pharmacy.
Not discussing prices. just saying it should be cheap.

Yeah I remember one time I filled my bi weekly script a day early and had to pay around $20 to the pharmacy for 90 hydros. Obviously that price fluctuates by location, insurance, drug and pharmacy.
Not discussing prices. just saying it should be cheap.

Yeah its a bummer but...that's how it goes. Not discussing prices either.

Some pharmacies by me will not let you refill but every 30 days. I use a few that will do 28 day refills. Once I had an as needed med get refilled every 5 days for a month in a half. The right doctor can see your refill history and most US states have a tracking system. I have four scheduled medicines that I take. Aside from the schedule 2 medicine, I can refill the other three every 28 days. just remember the doctor knows.

schedule one is generally once a month give or take a few days but I think thats more of an insurance thing than a pharmacy thing

This isn't true for me with my benzo.

Where I am you can only refill a benzo script every 30 days.

If you come in one day early, on the 29th day, they will just tell you you can't have it until the next day even if your doctor call, it's the state law and they have to follow it to the T.

The only way to get it early is to ask the doctor for a 5 day emergency supply and have him call it in.

However, it is SOMEWHAT dependent on the pharmacy and how lenient they are and how aware of the state law they are.

I've been to pharmacies that will fill it a day or two early and others that will never do that and make you wait till the 30th day every time.

IMO it's stupid, but for anyone who is getting a controlled substance in the U.S. I'd say you should make sure not to run out by the 30th day or expect to be denied so you can be sure you have your meds.

I have to close this as we really don't allow discussion of pharmacy protocol at Bluelight.

Status
Not open for further replies.