• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Quit drugs and drink a while ago now....

smackydowners

Bluelighter
i'm a recovering heroin/opiate (and benzos and to a lesser extent stims) addict and i've been clean about 8-9 weeks now. started rehab and i haven't even had a beer in this time.

i'm exercising, eating, sleeping well and everything, but i just feel so fucking run down a lot of the time. like it's an effort to walk to another room and i have very little motivation to do anything. just utter fatigue.

does this sound familiar to anyone else, and if so, what was your experience? did you get over it? any tips?

my use of cigarettes has went up in these 9 weeks, but only to 10-15 a day, max.

thanks

its the post acute withdrawal mate, hate to be barer of bad news, but could be like this for ya for weeks, if not months ahead. my advice would be - treat ya soul and self to a bit of nice weed, have a spliff on yer own (if paranoia is an issue - which it can be with former heads) or friends if possible, and learn to enjoy the simple pleasures again - listening to music, watching films.. stuffing yer face etc. try bathe in the awesome relief of not having that dread to wake up from and raise for all the time - rather than concentrating on the way to go yer body still has to feel normal. ya done great, keep away from old haunts and console yourself with the fact shit will eventually get better

good luck smacky-d

sounds very familiar, its shit feeling like that, it does slowly get better, IMO. But it isnt easy

I was never an opioid / opiate user but I quit booze and drugs about a month ago (although my usage has gradually reduced over the last couple of years anyway) and can confirm that I am just as knackered as I ever was :(

thanks for the reassuring words, y'all. i'm aware of the paws thing, but ive never been clean for this long and even though i was aware this might happen, it's quite another thing actually living through it.
i suppose i just needed to hear again that it's normal and will end. i was thinking i might be anaemic. just been out for an our cycling with some music and feel a bit more awake.

I came off opiates about 4 months ago, and am only just starting to feel the benefits. At the time, it seemed like I would never feel 'normal' again (constantly drained, constant colds and coughs) and never see the end of the tunnel. But now the tunnel seems a long way behind. You will get there, it just takes time that's all.

donno bout anaemic, but you may well be suffering from severe malnutrition and/or vitamin deficiency. do some research, and plough some of that spare money into a GOOD quality (not tescos bargain bucket a to z) multivitamin and nutritional supplement scheme. itll be fuckin expensive, mind - but you may well be very pleasantly surprised by the results.

ya need a good vit c binge, lots of omega fatty acids (brain goes through that shit FAST, like a few weeks and youre slap bang in deficiency town) and a quality, highly bioavailable (preferably crystal-sourced) iodine supplement - iodine is incredibly important for the body, the reason thyroid disorders are off the charts is cos we're mostly all deficient in it, since it's been almost entirely stripped out the food. sea salt is a source, yes, but only 10% b/a. thyroid disorders typically manifest in symptoms youve described.. admittedly, many others do too, but big vit c and iodine assimilation should do some noticeable good, to be getting along with anyhoo

take care now

First of all and most importantly congratulations for your decision and your achievement! :) You should be proud of yourself.
Two months is a long way and I believe you don´t want to let this one go. It is common to go through different stages,
and what you are feeling is pretty normal. Just keep it up and you´ll be better. Give it sometime, you´ve gone through a lot to give up now.

Indeed, it´s common to feel down after a while. You are probably craving for feelings of joy and happiness.
I´m also sober for almost 6 months and can relate to what your are feeling. I came off methadone and believe me it wasn´t easy.
It seems to me you are on the right track. Exercising, eating well are things that demand strength at this moment and you have shown you are capable of doing that even sooner than some of us. So keep it up, don´t give up! Soon you´ll look back to this moment and see that you are doing better.

There are a lot of people here on the same boat and feeling the same things. Sharing is one of the key elements to maintain your sobriety.
I´d suggest you keep around. AA and NA meetings can also help you immensely.
At the mean time try to find things that can motivate yourself, live one day at a time. It´s all up to you. And it seems you are doing fine.
The lack of endorphin causes those feelings and with time you´ll find things that will make you happy and more comfortable.
Keep posting and good luck!
Erik

Last edited:
You were spot-on with your first response, regarding PAWS. Things don't start going as smoothly as they once did, until your brain starts actively using its own natural opioids, again. I think PAWS would cause most people to relapse, when they still feel like shit, even months down the line. I know coming off codeine and bupe was not a fun time for me. That being said; other than occasional encounters with opiates, I've never once wanted to go back there. I'm probably very lucky, though.

I have yet to figure life out sober man(opiate addiction) Sorry to say. It's a scary feeling not knowing if you'll ever be back to yourself before drugs, if you can even remember how you were before drugs because I can't.

I hope you figure it out though and find the peace you deserve