• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Kicking opiates once and for all- Need Help

Strangler_fig

Greenlighter
Hi All,

I'm stranger_fig and I've been on and off opiates for the past 10 years. This most recently cycle has been about 2 years long. Today I took the first step into real recovery. I went to a clinic and admitted myself. I return tomorrow and start on a suboxone treatment plan. I'm extremely scared & don't have have anyone to turn to. I am alone in this recovery & looking for support.

Thanks guys!
Strangler_fig

hey strangler_fig (I actually really dig that plant), welcome to Bluelight. You've made a great decision and I hope that we can give you a lot of support while you are going through this first big transition. I know it took a lot of courage to get yourself to admit yourself--bravo!<3

Just keep us updated if you can. Lots of folks are in your shoes or somewhere else along the path at least. I think the best thing is to utilize support from every direction. You'll find that one of the most beneficial aspects of this forum is supporting other people while getting support for yourself (actually they are probably one and the same).

Don't expect to feel A-OK on the Suboxone during your first week. Try not to ramp up your dose during this time because you'll only be making it more difficult when/if you ever decide to taper or quit opiates altogether. Once you stabilize though you'll be able to work on your underlying issues much easier. It's vitally important that you use the stability that Suboxone provides to get to the root of your issues - and trust me, we all have some issues.

Thanks for the words of wisdom guys. This morning I am miserable. Doc says I have to be in full withdrawl... I'm nearly 32 hours into it. And because I took the day off to go to the clinic yesterday I am stuck withdrawling at work today. 4pm I go in to see the doctor who will approve me getting dosed or not. Gosh I'm really hoping he sees that I'm really not doing well. And even though I know things won't be perfect immediately atleast I will get some relief from the physical pain & cravings.

Strangler, I started a thread about a rapid sub detox protocol. It's not done yet (because I somehow got logged out as I was typing and when I went to save I lost it all for not being logged). Check back there tonight. It might help you.

If you can, try and use the subs to taper down and not use them for maintenance. Sub wds can be no joke and are really long lasting if you are on them for long term maintenance. It's important to try and keep your sub dose as low as possible. I stayed on them for three years and I was on 24 mg/day. It was overkill. I could have got away with way less I think. Don't get me wrong, there are some benefits to using maintenance but getting off of the stuff can be a royal pain in the ass so don't underestimate that. If you are worried about relapse after the taper, there is always naltrexone. I really wish I would have just used them to taper and not stayed on them so long because my kick was pretty tough. Good luck to you and congratulations for taking that first step!

Suboxone helps. But ultimately its like making a deal with the devil. In the end you still have to pay the piper. Remember. Withdrawl can be worse then the original habit if you up the dose to high and stay on it too long. Good luck.

Suboxone helps. But ultimately its like making a deal with the devil. In the end you still have to pay the piper. Remember. Withdrawl can be worse then the original habit if you up the dose to high and stay on it too long. Good luck.

My thoughts exactly.
Some of these medications can help you in the beginning but can create a long term addiction IMO/E.
So try to focus on getting your freedom back.
You´ve already succeeded in deciding what´s good for you. That´s great! :)
It´s hard I know but you have a chance to really start living.
The best time might be right now.
Indeed, good luck!
Erik.

Agreed x3. Buprenorphine is prescribed for too long at too high a dose and becomes its own beast (and its already quite a powerful beast - anyone who's taken 4mg on naive receptors can tell you their experience). I highly recommend that if you use subs, do a rapid taper to avoid replacing your addiction and then having to withdraw all over again, this time from a long-acting opioid. Rapid taper = starting at +/- 12mg and tapering to 0.25mg in the space of a week or two max.