• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Anyone Benzos for 30 years and Alcohol for 40 (or there abouts)?

markjt

Greenlighter
Off of booze any benzos since 3/7/15. Doc has me on serequel, Zoloft, trileptal and gabapentin; it all seems all so surreal, with the depersonalization and so forth.

I only drank heavily for about 4 years, but I remember when I finally quit how unbearably lucid I was for a long time. It felt like life was all of a sudden rushing towards me and I was watching it happen from a third person view. It was like life had become so real, so quickly that it felt totally unreal. It was very strange and clearly hard to put into words. Luckily I had kratom to help me, otherwise I don't know if I would have been able to quit at all (not that I am recommending kratom for quitting alcohol/benzos, it is addictive as well).

Gratz on going 4 months man. :) It gets better everyday just keep that in mind.

Great job dude! Keep on going so you can kick the last maintenance and comfort meds too and be a free man again :)

Welcome to Bluelight btw!

depersonalization could be the zoloft dude! When I took an ssri, once, - it was called effexor - I had horrible psychotic symptoms such as depersonalization which lasted a couple weeks, and seeing spiders crawling that weren't there, luckily that lasted only the duration of the pill.

That's why I love opiates- they don't cause psychosis more than they chill you out.

That sounds like hell OP. hope it gets better.

Obviously you should talk to your doctor first but many of those drugs that you are on can cause dependencies too esp. seroquel and neurontin. Some people have a hard time with SSRIs too though. Generally the longer you are on them the harder they will be to quit if your goal is to be substance free at some point.

Great job quitting that stuff man. Good luck.

I take 10mg zoloft a day for the last year and a half. I tried to ween myself off by lowering my dose for about 2 weeks then quit taking them all together. Withdraws from SSRI medication is no joke. Brain zapps were the worst of it and after 2 weeks without any zoloft they would still hit me all day. I quit drinking without any major issues, quit taking any pharms for over a year and spent a good amount of time clean and sober but Zoloft was one I just could not handle the withdraws from. Try to keep it to a low dose if you can. It does help me with my anxiety and really mellows out my temper. I can be a real asshole if i dont take my Zoloft for a couple days but I would Love to be able to be off of all of it someday. Congrats on kicking the booze and benzos man, those ones were what sent me over the edge. The rest will all fall into place over time and things will get back to a state of Normal that you can handle. Just takes time