Film & Television

Welcome Guest

⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
    Forum Rules Film Chit-Chat
    Recently Watched Best Documentaries
    ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️ ⭐️
  • Film & TV Moderators: ghostfreak

Movies to watch on mute to a different soundtrack (netflix/youtube)

junglejuice

Bluelight Crew
Set and setting...

I was wondering if anyone had some good recommendations for movies to watch silently while listening to music. I find it's a great combo for background ambiance in an intimate gathering. Combos that have worked excellently are dub techno and snowboard movies. The sparse, echo-ey nature of the music works great with the arctic landscapes.

What I am asking here is recommendations of movies that will work well silently with an electronic soundtrack that leans toward the downtempo/dubby/minimal end of the spectrum. Picture a slick, modern hotel room with a 55" screen, three Laserpods, and the aforementioned soundtrack. Just my gf and myself. Some movies that I have put into my queue on Netflix are...

-Samsara
-Wildest Indochina
-The Art of Flight
-Where the Trail Ends
-Space: Unraveling the Cosmos
-National Geographic: Amazing Planet
-Moto 6
-K2: Siren of the Himalayas
-Volcom: True to This
-NOVA: The Edge of Space
-Wildest Arctic

I've basically been going down the Documentaries page and clicking "yes" to anything that looks interesting.
What I'd like from YOU guys are recommendations on movies on Netflix or Youtube that are:

-Visually arresting
-Very low on any kind of interviews
-Non-sinister for a light, ambient vibe
-Have some sort of cool effects

Thanks guys!

:D

PS: links to the movies would be appreciated, as well as links to any similar threads I've missed

A Scanner Darkly
Waking Life
Heavy Metal
Blade Runner
Baraka?
classic Fantastic Planet
Dune
La Jetée
Alphaville
thx 1138

^Definitely a favorite of mine.

Thanks for the suggestions...keep 'em coming!

:)

Halfway cheating because it's a silent film? Hmm.

I was thinking because it was just still photos. Kinda interesting as just something to watch.

Probably only interesting if you do your own video editing but this trailer for 42 One Dream Rush (42 short films by different directors) is a surrealist masterpiece:

This is the full version but haven't seen it yet:

Last edited:
Art of flight has a killer soundtrack. Don't put that one on mute.

Run Lola Run
interesting. for me, the soundtrack is an important element in that movie - almost a character in its own right. would be interesting to see it with an alternate soundtrack.

i've mentioned this elsewhere but my friends and i occasionally do this with koyaanisqatsi and the moby album 'i like to score'. if you start the cd just as the red letters appear on screen, it makes a really nice alternative soundtrack to the movie.

the original soundtrack is, for sure, wonderful.

alasdair

you know what i'd like to try? Watch the film Underworld while listening to band Underworld. But which film and which album?