Drug Discussion

Welcome Guest!
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
  • AADD Moderators: swilow | Vagabond696

Anyone here tried Absinthe?

Cpt.Caveman

Bluelighter
I've had it on a few occasions...

Incase you don't know what absinthe is, its an alcohol made from wormwood which is a hallucinogenic with THC in it. its usually a rediculous strength like 60-75% and has made several artists go crazy from drinking it too often.

First was last NYE. I finished a 500mL 60% bottle of it mixed with lemonade. It tasted quite good! It was a pretty wierd drunk as I had consumed quite alot (18 standard drinks if I remember correctly) but could still walk and talk normally. I found after a few drinks I got the giggles like I was stoned and it didn't give the quite the same effects as I usually experience but it wasn't anything out of the ordinary. The liquid itself was a very light green so I suspect that the hallucinogenic was almost non-existant so it could be sold over the counter.

Second time was a different brand and a bit stronger than the last one, weighing at 68% and a much much darker green colour. This time I shared it with a friend and we drank far into the night pouring it over the sugar cube, lighting the sugar cube and melting it into the shot...and not just that, we lit the surface of the shot, cupped the top of the glass and inhaled the vapour before shotting and chasing what was in the glass. We were obviously on a mission to get quite fucked up and fucked up we got! My girlfriend left the party because we were getting to sloppy and wierd drunk (as you would after having 20 standard drinks of this fashion in 2-3 hours).

The adventure began when me and my mate went for a mission through the suburbs to find a nearby park. I decided to put on a pair of flippers and strap a bodyboard to my wrist and walk to the park like so at 3am. I thought it was a completely normal thing to do at the time. On the walk, my friend was conviced that my girlfriend was still with us and he was having a deep and meaningful with her (in his head) and constantly needed to be reminded that he wasn't helping her with her shopping and that she had left over an hour ago. He would say some funny funny stuff too like "aahh they always play this song on the radio" (????). The park was a good fun with both of us acting quacky and both of us hallucinating into the night. Me, jumping on huge shrubs with my bodyboard then sliding off the side of it. I also found myself up a tree at once stage, still with the bodyboard and flippers attached. We snapped out of it after a couple of hours and ended up sleeping in my car. It was an awesome night.

The third was messy. 5-8 beers then back to a mates place and managed to finish half a bottle between two of us and we both couldn't handle it. He spewed then passed out half on his bed and I got outside the door to his units and passed out on the grass outside the door, after leaving 3 dribbled voicemails on his phone. I woke up to find out that I had spewed all over the front steps and my mates neighbour had cleaned it up while I was still sleeping on the glass next to it. Eeeeeek.

I don't know where to get absinthe in syd because isn't it supposed to be illegal? We don't want the places that do sell it to get caught out would we..... ;)

Last edited:
there is no thc in absinthe

absinthe doesnt have THC in it. the active ingredient is thujon, which apparently is structually similar to THC, however there is some discussion about how similar the effects to it are.

have a read of here which says it is structurally similar, but does not contain thc. other resources also state this, google search.

Hmm, I've also done everything you have drinking 'normal' alcohol. Either light % like normal beer or strong alcohol like green chatreuse, polish spirit and the good ol' GOON WINE!

Placebo can do a lot, give a panadol to someone and tell them it's a good pill. (does the movie GO ring a bell). It's been tried and proved to work (not in every case of course).

You can buy Absinthe here in NZ. 60% sounds like a lame attempt, though - the bottle I have at home is 85%, and most are about 80% that I have seen. The thurjon content in the Absinthe you buy here (and most places I have heard) is about 5 times lower than the original stuff - i.e. you don't get hallucinations unless you drink yourself stupid. Having said that - the drunkenness you get off it is definitely different to other alcohol in my opinion - I like it a lot better than other spirits, beer or wine. If you smoke (weed) after a few drinks of it I have found that quite different (and quite pleasant) too. Take this stuff in moderation and make sure you have some water along the way ;) It's good fun though!

We brought 3 bottles of the stuff back from Europe last year for our alcoholic friends. Cost us 60 pounds a bottle, at 3:1 Australian, thats bloody expensive booze. Was the 80% proof variety and theres still one bottle left :)

Never halucinated off the stuff despite drinking ourselves almost to death. It does hit you hard and fast though, numerous times after one or two shots I'd find myself lying on my back on the pavement sweating like a freak.

Sounds like pretty nasty stuff, I don't think that I would want to try it!

I get nicely drunk off about 12 beers

I've tried it a couple of times. Very warm smooth feeling, almost G like. Although I understand that at higher quantities it isn't so nice, and I've heard intersting stories about long term users going quite crazy.

Absinthe isn't illegal in Australia, and I do know it can be purchased in Melbourne if you know where to look (of course, I'm not going to tell you since it's still 'under the counter' mostly).

If your interested in trying it, be aware that there are different types available - the most common doesn't contain real worm-wood and hence doesn't give you the real absinth effect.

I'm kind of interested in trying it! When you said THC Cpt.Caveman I was a little doubtful, glad you cleared that up Mr Mac :)

[Edit: No email requests, please. BigTrancer]

Last edited by a moderator:
Say - what's this thing about pouring over a sugar cube and lighting it and breathing the vapour and stuff? I have heard similar before - about how you light it, and wait until it reaches a syrupy consistency, and that's meant to bring out the 'hallucinagenic' properties. Does anyone know how to do this, and whether it actually does make you spin out and stuff?

I blame Baz Luhrman (and Kylie Minogue) for this sudden rebirth in Absinthe interest. And it's kind of amazing how something can be around for a hundred years and still get caught up in the myths.

Absinthe isn't very interesting, especially not the sort you get today. The active ingrediants were basically poisons, and the reason it got such a racy reputation was that occasionally people would die from drinking too much. Remember that back when it was in vogue there was no FDA, there was no list of ingrediants on the side, there was nothing to keep manufacturers from, whether by accident or design, putting far too much of the poisons in one batch.

These days everything is so regulated that modern Absinthe is not going to kill you, and consequently it isn't going to make you trip out that much. What you are drinking is not in anyway like that which got the cast of Moulin Rouge fucked up. It bears about as much similiarity to it as Diet Coke does to the cocaine tonics of the period.

There are various recipes on the net for making your own batch of "traditional" Absinthe. Want to try it? Well it's a (sorta) free country after all, but you won't catch me drinking something like that. It's about as risky as huffing petrol, and in my book at least, about as cool.

I just wonder why those stupid romantic poets went on about it? They were living in an age where anyone could get opium and cocaine, for tuppence, from their local store, for fucks sake.

As for the sugar thing, AFAIK (And I have done it a few times) it is just a way of making it more palatable, and since it is a ceremony it makes the whole thing more "racy". There is no chemical reason for doing it, other than it looks cool, and any addition of sugar to that foul beverage the better.

Last edited:
I didn't really know jack-all about it, only that it was a previously used hallucinogen. After the light shed on it by JB, I think I'll look elsewhere :)

Waaaaay Off Topic...

Oops I forgot something. This is my favourite line from the above FAQ that Mac linked:

Thujone is classified as a convulsant poison, NOT a drug

Just to take this thread even further off topic...

One of the main herbs in legitimate Absinthe is wormwood.

Here's a very long bow, drawn by Christian Fundamentalists...

One of the best-known prophets of Old Testament times was Ezekiel. In Chapter 38 of his book, he predicted two major disasters that would come at a time of sudden war in Israel, deemed the beginning of the “End Times.” Later, John, the Apostle gave one of these disasters a name; he called it “Wormwood.” Prophets seldom apply proper names to their predictions for fear of being called false, so John’s naming of this disaster clearly demonstrates his unwavering certainty of this prediction. Further, his prophecy is also mirrored in several secular prophecies, such as those of the Hopi and Mother Shipton. However, what could a modern day Wormwood disaster look like and who would create it?

If the name, “Wormwood,” rings a bell, it should. By the end of 1986, it had spread deadly radiation across the breadth of Europe and was debated hotly by religious scholars because the English translation of the Russian word “Chernobyl,” is Wormwood. This facility was eventually closed down in December, 2000, but the danger from damaged reactor #4 still remains

full story here: http://www.yowusa.com/Archive/March2002/wormwood1/wormwood1.htm

It's Friday, I'm stuck at work and I have nothing better to do than wander thru Google to amuse myself. If there is anyway to bring this back on topic then I guess I could mention that once, in a drug haze, I swear I saw the Apocaypse, the whole universe being consumed by fractal fire. Mind you I was under heavy sedation, and on a morphine drip, in a casualty ward at the time...

Anyhoo... ;)

hmmm interesting!

the burning of the sugar cubes is also quite dangerous, i set a few spots of my pants on fire while doing that too. haha

I've got to agree johnboy... I think most people are interested in it simply because the initial impression they get consists of these three words - alcoholic, hallucinogenic and legal. The whole fire, sugar and water tradition started as a purposeful method of improving the taste of the shit, but before long became just that - a tradition.

:)

Post deleted.

There used to be a whopping great header in our forum, which said:

Australia/Asia/NZ/Middle East Drug Discussion
*** NO DEALING *** NO SOURCES *** NO PRICES ***
Do NOT make posts containing URLs or sources to obtain ANYTHING. This includes quasi-legal and legal substances (e.g., mushrooms, spores, nitrous oxide, pharmaceuticals etc).
Quite simply, if it's not a tester or 5-HTP capsules, then people can find out how to get it somewhere else.

BigTrancer.

Last edited by a moderator:
I Can Believe It's Not Real Absinthe!

From here:

After months of listening to misguided goths and freaks, I can take it no longer: your off-the-shelf Absinthe isn't genuine Absinthe!

Several months ago, alcohol stores around Australia began selling varieties of faux Absinthe, often with catch-cry "Absinthe is now available!" despite the fact that original recipe Absinthe is still illegal in the majority of countries, including Australia.

Absinthe, in its original form, was banned in most countries at the beginning of the century for its infamous effects when taken in large amounts. Alcohol was steeped with anise, fennel, and other herbs for flavour, but it was the addition of wormwood that caused all the trouble. During the steeping process, wormwood releases a chemical called thujone into the alcohol, and it is the thujone that is the prime suspect responsible for the legendary psychoactive effects of long-term Absinthe drinking.

One look at the label on any of the new brands will quickly demonstrate my point about the credibility of the Absinthe available in Australia (and many other nations around the world where thujone Absinthe is illegal to sell). The ingredients of faux Absinthe include wormwood infusion, and colourings (300, 600). An infusion is vastly different to the steeping process, and as such, the resulting alcohol has a thujone content of zero. The lack of wormwood during steeping also leaves the alcohol clear and almost colourless, hence the need for artificial colouring to obtain the famous green hue.

La Fee Verte (The Green Fairy) doesn't come visiting if you simply infuse a drink with wormwood. All that are reproduced - and all that the makers of the new Absinthe claim are reproduced - are the color, taste, and atmosphere of original Absinthe. Replicate the past with new, mundane (yet legal) Absinthe! It's all in the marketing.

In spending around $70 on a bottle of Absinthe from a bottle shop, you're buying little else than strong alcohol and delusions of times past. From what I've seen, few people seem to care. It just goes to show what people will believe when they want it to be true.

There's a new bar in Richmond with the claim to fame of having an extensive range of Absinthe available, including La Fee @ $70 per nip (and a cocktail worth $100). Check out today's Herald-Sun there's a review on it).

And as pistola pointed out correctly, Absinthe as we know if today does not contain wormwood. The rumour is that Van Gogh cut his ear off in an Absinthe fired delusion.

Oi! I was gonna post that!!

Oi, Bent!!!

I opened this thread specifically to post that!! And you beat me too it!! GRRR.....:X

Oh well,
some people are just more on the ball than what i am!!! :)

Bent - they also say he went mad from the paints he used - hence the high amount of yellow in his paintings. Let's not get too carried away with rumours, being a harm (and bulllshit) prevention site and all. ;)

Anyway - he could have just been a nutter =D

Hadn't heard about the paint theory, interesting...my old art history teacher was one hell of a piss-head, and he used to love to talk about tortured geniuses and their ability to drink.

But you're right, he probably was just a nutter.