• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Can recreational stimulant use affect routine amphetamine use thereafter?

wwymd3

Greenlighter
I took 20 mg of adderall ER daily for ADHD for years with great results, but recently I lost my insurance and began to experiment with recreational stimulants. This only lasted for about a year and I'm now insured and back on my old prescription. I haven't had any problems with stimulant addiction, but I have noticed the medication isn't nearly as effective as it was before. Can the abuse of other street stimulants permanently affect routine medication in this way? Also, will switching to a different form of amphetamines or raising the dosage help?

Thanks for any insight.

Yes, this is an issue of tolerance. Refrain from all amphetamines for a decent period of time and you will be able to obtain your desired effects.

Raising the dosage will help but will also risk problems like addiction and unwanted side effects.

Potatoman is right! I abused cocaine HEAVILY for a year, and my adderall 20mg dose has never been the same. I have to come to terms and realize I need to take a break.

Today is the second day I only take a 15mg dose of my prescribed 40mg a day. I hope to cut it down to 5mg...

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my thread.

What would you consider a "decent" period of time?

My use was restricted to street amphetamine on the weekends and I haven't used any in a month. The effects of the illicit street amphetamine was very euphoric and never affected me in the same way as adderall, which made me productive and was also calming. Since I've started back on adderall I haven't had any urges to use street amphetamine, but I'm very wary of the possible damage caused from it and it's permanence.

I used to dose 600mg vyvanse a few times a week, before needing a script, when i got my script for 30mg pills it literally does nothing to me now, its been over a month since i dosed my usualy recreational dose (600mg) and I donèt even bother taking my sdcript cuz I take one pill and still fall asleep (script is for a sleep disorder)

Meth (N-methylamphetamine) builds tolerance a lot less faster than amphetamine.