• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Switching from Methadone to Suboxone instantly

lkimball0113

Greenlighter
I had a problem with vicodin and oxy for almost a year and went into the methadone maintenance treatment. For insurance, I'm switching to suboxone. My Dr had me cut down to 30mg, and the very next day gave me 4 mg sub. Next day 8mg, and now I'm on day 3. Took 8mg. And I'm feeling horrible. now I have read that I should have been in full-blown withdrawal before switching. Should I quit taking the suboxone for a few days and then start again? Or will it get better if I continue taking 8 milligrams daily as my doctors suggest?

Hey ikimball and welcome to BL:)

What dose of methadone were you on?

Edit: sorry i did not see the 30mgs.. but what mgs of methadone were you on and how did they taper you. mg and days?

Why would a doctor in his right mind give you subs after done use.... done stays in you system a while and subs will throw you into withdrawal with that done still in your system.... neloxone is no thing to play with specially with done useage

If you weren't on a much higher methadone dose than 30ml to begin with it's not unheard of to swap straight to subbie. I've been on the methadone program twice now. The first time I reduced from 80ml to 30ml, went a few days without dosing and then swapped to suboxone. They started my suboxone dose at 1mg and the whole week of not dosing and then swapping to a low dose of suboxone was pretty rough. I remember going in for my first suboxone dose and shaking so bad that most of it ended up on my tshirt (it was a tablet not film, and crushed up on a spoon to deter diverting). I was licking and sucking my shirt like it was the late bit of opiate on the planet. Then my dose doubled each day until 16mg where I stayed even though I really needed to be on 32mg. I didn't feel right until I was taking 16mg for a few days. I ended up going from 16mg to 0mg in 3 days (I had had enough of being on the program, angry and frustrated). Needless to say it was very unpleasant, they were the worst withdrawls of my life and lasted about 2 weeks.The second time I went on the program I was extremely reluctant and only went as high as 40ml even though it was rough. When I reduced to 20ml they told me I could immediately swap from 20ml methadone to 1mg of suboxone. I ended up frustrated and angry again, and just stopped dosing altogether at that point. It wasn't so bad. I certainly wouldn't recommend such a harsh reduction, but I did it and survived, and now I'm over a year clean. It's totally at the discretion of your doctor and your clinic what dose they swap you on and when, my experiences were with 3 different sets of doctors and clinics. I see your post was a couple of days ago now, I imagine that you're through the worst of it. If not, just hang in there mate and don't worry, you'll be feeling ok again soon. I was also taking valium, seroquel, zoloft which I think helped me out a little, they should be giving you a little bit of valium at least. If not, ask for it. Best of luck mate.

Why would a doctor in his right mind give you subs after done use.... done stays in you system a while and subs will throw you into withdrawal with that done still in your system.... neloxone is no thing to play with specially with done useage

It's not the naloxone that causes Precip WD's it's the buprenorphine 100%

OP I would just stick with the subs now and it should start to get better within a cpl days. You could also just take an extra 1-2mg over your daily dose and see if that helps. I also did the done > sub transfer and it was pretty miserable but I'm glad I went through it.