• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Online A.A and N.A resources?

annachronism

Bluelighter
Hullo. Im 5 days sober here and am finally starting to feel some energy and am beginning to think clearly. My biggest issue right now is staying positive and occupied. I wanted to start maybe doing some stepwork and getting a sponsor. The only issue is I'm living with my parents and haven't told them I've been strung out for the last year. I'm also in Germany and speak no German. Getting involved online is about all I'm ready for right now. Does anyone ave any idea how to go about this websites? Resources? I've downloaded the a.a companion app on my iPad but I'm not sure where to start. Any input would be appreciated. Thank you!

Have you thought about online SMART Recovery? I just got a link for it from a friend in Wales that said he had a very positive experience with it. Here is the link. I don't know about online AA but I'm sure they must exist. A google search should turn up something.

I have a friend that lives in Peru and she didn't want any of her friends knowing she was going to AA meetings so she told everyone it was a book club LOL. Would your parents let you go out to something like that without checking up on it?

Would your parents freak out unreasonably if you told them what was really going on? I'm a parent so I know they would freak out, I'm just trying to gauge to what extent? Hysterical or reasonable? The reason I say this is because I am a big proponent of honesty and transparency when it comes to families. Often we underestimate each others ability to understand because we project our own feelings on each other. But if you can get through those initial hard talks there is usually a deeper sense of safety and stability on the other side (unless it is a really dysfunctional situation). Do you think if you told them that you are seeking help they could be supportive? I'm really proud of you for doing what you are doing on your own and I think you are amazing.<3

Herbavore my parents are actually super supportive and actually when I was in the pretty acute phase of wd ( I told them I was experiencing a bad flu and lupus flare up) my asked me if this was withdrawal and if it was that it was ok she just wants to know. Yeah and like a coward I denied it and told her she can see the results of my blood test at the hospital. Knowig of course that kratom won't show up on anything. It's just an incredible amount of guilt and shame my parents have bailed me out over and over again during my abuse in the last . And this time it was supposed to be a happy time of coming home and starting a new life. I just can't bear the disappointment I know they will try not to show me but will be there. I'm eventually gonna get hooked up with a psychiatrist so that will help. And I'll check out that website. The main thing right now is im both very irritable and very bored and it seems al I wanna I kill time so I can sleep and hopefully wake up feeling better.

Glad to hear that you have a supportive family. I imagine it is less disappointment in you than it is a feeling of helplessness in them. I know that my son used to interpret my fear for him as disappointment.:(

Check out Duolingo for learning German.;)

I think the hardest part about admitting that I've been addicted for the last year is that I'll also be admitting to lying to them AGAIN. Repeatedly lying at that and how do you explain a non addict that you never wanted to lie to them. Right now our relationship is probably the healthiest it's ever been in my life coming from a really really bad place in my teens it just hurts me to think of jeopardizing that trust. I imagine I may need to come clean in order to access the help and support I know at this point is pretty essential to long term recovery I'm just not read. Thanks so much for your comments and I'll def check that our that actually sounds like a superbly productive way to pass the time.

I had two sons and I lost my younger son to an overdose. One of the things that my other son once said when I was talking about my using son lying was that addiction makes everyone in a family lie. I think this is true. I lied to try to protect my son from the cops and from authorities at school. I lied to him about checking up on him behind his back. I lied to myself when I knew my instincts were right and lost trust in my own thinking. I lied to my friends about the severity of what was going on (again with the rational that I was protecting my son). Addiction creates liars because addiction feeds on shame. Once our family decided to be honest, we were able to love and support each other better. It did not save my son's life but I will always be grateful to my other son for pointing out how we all lied and for the months of honesty that ensued before his brother died. The best thing any family member can do, parent or child, is to be authentic and vulnerable with each other and themselves. The fact that when my son died he knew he was loved for who he was including the struggle he was in, brings me comfort now small as that comfort may be.

Herbavore I lost my brother to herion overdose several years ago and have been battling with herion addiction most of my life. I know what suffering comes from that loss and how much the lying impacts a family. I know I have told many lies and hurt my family. I think it's a genetic thing, we have a lot of addicts in the family, or maybe that's just an excuse. I'm finally being honest with myself and those around me that I have a problem. And it feels good. Most did not know the severity of my situation or were in denial.

I've always been ashamed to be a herion addict... today I'm proud to say I'm a recovering addict!

www.intherooms.com has online meetings from many different fellowships.

But I do have to say that for me Face to Face meetings are very important for my recovery. Something about meeting other people in my area, networking and just being able to see the person in front of me makes a huge difference. Plus, its always fun to go out after the meetings.