• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Gabapentin Tolerance Question (plus heroin withdrawal)

ksralyv2mch

Bluelighter
So I'm about to get ready to kick heroin (gram a day habit IV of 7/10 stuff) The past two day I've been taking gabapentin (just 300mgs in the morning and 600mg at night for sleep), Now I've only just started this the past two days cause I got my new script mind you and I want to use the gabapentin for my heroin withdrawals (which I Know are in the higher doses)

Will my past two days of taking small doses going to effect my tolerance (since people are saying gabapentin tolerance raises in like 1-2 days then ther is no more effects for it to battle withdrawals from heroin/benzos) for when I need to take like 1200-2400mg to battle withdrawals??

Anyone got any good dosage time tables/info for battling off w/d symptoms with gabapentin

Thank you and <3

Gabapentin tolerance builds rather quickly compared to a lot of other substances. I know that this is probably not possible for a lot of people in a similar situation as yours, but Baclofen is a much better alternative. It provides a lot of the pleasant GABAergic effects that you desire (and that are valuable for withdrawal help), without the rapid tolerance issues.

With that said, I've found that even taking Gabapentin in small (recommended) doses over the course of a few days, can render a lot of its more desired effects moot. You're best bet is to take a couple day's break from the gabapentin while you still have opioids to see you through, then only break out the Gabapentin when you are in withdrawal.

I'm not saying you won't get any positive effect from the Gabapentin after a few days of low dosages, but said positive effects will be noticeably blunted when compared to using it after a few day's break.

I hope this helps and if you have a remotely understanding prescriber, you might try bringing to their attention this issue with them. They might take pity on you and prescribe you Baclofen. What I have said in regards to the efficacy of Gabapentin goes double for Phenibut (which is another GABAergic drug with similar effects), but phenibut has the added negative of a more serious withdrawal/cessation syndrome than with the aforemention substances.

I hope this helps. Withdrawal is a bitch and I feel for anyone having to brave the process.

From what i understand, Gabapentin has a pretty high toxicity level. I used it to come of Tramadol twice, which would have been impossible without it. The first tone I reluctantly worked up to 3-4 grams/ day by the time I was able to come down after about 3 weeks. The second time around, I expected the high doses and stepped up to the same dosages overt the same period with the same success. More doctors need to be taught about using Gabapentin this way, fucking life/ career saver for me.