• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

beating Ambien addiction, problems.

theletterH

Greenlighter
Hi i've been abusing zolpidem (ambien and Ambien CR) for the last year, i've maybe been doctor shopping a little and buying scripts for ambien and sonata off everyone i know who has them, it got really bad to the point where my tolerance increased so i needed WAY more of it to get the same effects, and i have dependence. I recently started Narcotics Anonymous but it doesn't help much,
I have severe anxiety since i've stopped (but ive "relapsed" like 5 times in the last 2 months and taken pills) and i can't sleep hardly at all without using the sleeping pills, when i go without i get maybe 5 hours of sleep a night and it isn't restful sleep.
I fear i've become dependent on sleeping pills, does this go away and will my body adjust back eventually/ will i ever reach the level of restful sleep again without pills if i stop using them? or is the damage like irreversible?
Also the anxiety is another issue, i've been having what might be considered Panic attacks where i breath really fast and the air doesn't help, i can't feel my lips and i get really confused so i just sit on the floor so i won't fall down. they are really scary and they happen randomly, im afraid i will have one while i'm driving. Does this stuff go away? my main fear is i've conditioned my body to need sleeping pills and i will never be the same again

I'm not very familiar with sleeping pills, i've taken Xanax, Ativan, and Phenobarbitol but those aren't "nonbenzodiazepine"-type sleeping pills. those are benzos and barbiturates.
In the hospital i was given Alpidem but it was just for 3 nights.
Hopefully you will overcome it but the worst thing to do is keep using, you will only need to take more and more to sleep/get high or whatever. good luck on quitting

I didn´t know they were addictive. I thought you they were anti depressants and if you take too many of those, then you would just be sleepy.
I don´t know about Pagoclone though..

I didn´t know they were addictive. I thought you they were anti depressants and if you take too many of those, then you would just be sleepy.
I don´t know about Pagoclone though..

Ambien and Sonata aren't antidepressants and they can be addictive. I read somewhere that Eminem was addicted to ambien i cant remember where tho

I posted on this topic a few years back so I just copied my old post:

I had a big problem with ambien last year. For some people that shit is as mentally as euphoric as opiates (insane I know). The withdrawls are extremely unnerving but the thing is the don't last long. I would have tremors and be nervous all day and counting down til around 7 or 8 pm when Id start taking ambien and I wouldn't even sleep until 12 or 1.

Just stop. It sounds hard and it took me way too long to realize but if you can just not take it for a few days, the withdrawls will be over.

It is hard to sleep for a few nights. I used Soma because I never got off to em, they just help me sleep. I used Soma for 4 nights, then after that nothing. By day 3 you fell a lot better and by day 5 you will feel completely normal. It's almost like alcohol in that you're hungover all day and even into the 2nd day but if you just stop drinking, it'll go away.

I thought I was an absolut loser for being addicted to ambien but it can ensnare you.

edit: I felt totally normal after a week...so my experience is it becomes psychological after a point. Good luck!