• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Getting sober/significant other challenges

behindblueeyes

Bluelighter
Preceding a stint in a psychiatric unit and almost 7 days without benzos, I hit rock bottom and decided going sober is the only way to go.

Only problem right now is being around others drinking, etc. Right now my girlfriend is at a bar, and I said I couldn't go, I wasn't feeling well. And I definitely don't want to touch alcohol so soon after quitting benzos.

It's going to be a long road....

Any coping advice? Esp. when it comes to conflicts with significant other's interests, etc

Being sober is boring but ultimately SOOOO worth it!
you WILL miss getting high, but after a while the urges/obsessions to use only come up less frequently and with less intensity.
You're never really "cured" of an addiction tho, it's more of something you just have to watch yourself and keep yourself in check for the rest of your life. at least that's how it is for me
I do mess up sometimes (of course) but i've stayed away from my drugs of choice completely.
try going to Narcotics Anonymous meetings, they are free. it's pretty cool to meet people there, i found one for 18-25 year olds and i met some people my age at them which for me is huge, cuz i have like no friends :/