• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos URGENT: Alcohol metabolism slowed after current benzo ingestion?

Beandane

Greenlighter
[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Tahoma, Calibri, Geneva, sans-serif]2.5mg diazepam was administered 9 hours ago, downed with approx 600ml rio red grapefruit juice.
SWIM expects that this amount of grapefruit juice potentiated SWIM's diazepam by approx. 8x (equivalent to 20mg diazepam).
SWIM has no tolerance to benzodiazepines.
1.41x SWIMs nock down blackout 100% alcohol equivalent (1x 23oz 8% alc. + 1x 24oz 10% alc) was consumed over a 2 hour time period.
Drinking commenced 2 hours ago and the cans are now empty.
SWIM is an alcoholic.
SWIM then felt totally fucked up so SWIM made a huge pot of coffee and has nearly reached the bottom of the pot. (Equivalent to approx. 180mg caffeine over 1 hour).
SWIM is addicted to coffee; probably has tolerance built.
SWIM feels apoplectic, but now thankfully lucid. Headache fading.
SWIM understands that caffeine has 6hr half life.
SWIM does not understand how quickly alcohol will leave SWIM's system with all ^ bouncing around in SWIM's guts.
SWIM has an important meeting tomorrow and hopes to not be dead before then.
SWIM wants to know if SWIM's ingested alcohol will leave SWIM's body before the halflife of SWIM's ingested caffeine has dwindled to the point where SWIM's ingested alcohol will still be present enough in SWIM's body to kill SWIM via contraindication with SWIM's ingested 2.5mg diazepam.

SWIM also understands somewhat the spiel about brands of grapefruit juice being differently inhibitory of liver enzymes, and swim also somewhat understands the deal about x person being affected differently by Cyp 3a4 inhibitors. SWIM's cyp 3A4 is probably moderately stretched out and/or casually gapped.

re: important meeting tomorrow. Need sleep. Please help - I'd like not to resort to setting hourly alarms to make sure I'm still alive. I'd like to survive the night.

God bless all of you.

PS: you guys need a harm reduction irc.
you'd totally up your pledges/donations if so.
PPS: I've now probably had way more coffee than stated ^. But the Val.'s masking my jitters. This situation could be life threatening.

Oh hey, who thinks that brewing an even bigger pot of coffee, combined with hourly alarms (drinking coffee after each sounding) might be a good late night cure for benzo+alcohol contraindication toxicity? Wow, genius at work. But seriously, SWIM's had way too much coffee but the Val makes the jitters go down. So if swim sounds super lucid, don't think I'm just some worrisome, overly caffeinated, anxious asshole. Shit's serious. Good karma to you.[/FONT]

Last edited:
Please change "current" in the thread title to "concurrent" or less appropriately "concomitant"...

The interaction between alcohol and benzos occurs at the receptor level. You can expect to stay twice as drunk, for the usual amount of time.

A pharmacist told me I have to wait 48 hours after taking diazepam to drink. You took a relatively low dose so you should be fine . Not something to fuck with though especially if you are an alcoholic. Bluelight doesn't allow swim and it's completely pointless to use.

Btw, how are you doing?

Last edited: