• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Slate’s “Dear Prudence” Column Gives Bad Advice About Addiction

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Slate’s “Dear Prudence” Column Gives Bad Advice About Addiction
A normally wry and thoughtful advice column succumbs to some lazy assumptions.

Samantha Felix | 12/16/14 said:
I read Slate’s syndicated advice column, “Dear Prudence,” religiously—maybe even problematically. I love the dry, usually insightful tone of writer Emily Yoffe’s responses to readers’ questions about everything from relationships to office politics.

But reading Monday’s column, I was shocked—and frankly put off—by Prudie’s reaction to a question about addiction and recovery.

Here is the reader’s question:

Screen-Shot-2014-12-16-at-12.53.58-PM.png

Here is Emily Yoffe’s response:

Screen-Shot-2014-12-16-at-3.21.39-PM.png

Seriously, Prudie? An ultimatum?

After demonstrating for five years that he can function as a responsible adult without drugs and alcohol, you won’t even give this man the chance to explain why he believes he is ready to drink again? You won’t acknowledge that his decision to discuss it with his girlfriend first, rather than hightailing it to the nearest bar, demonstrates maturity, self-awareness and a commendable appreciation for her stake in the matter?

There are some important things to find out here, such as, when he says he doesn’t want to be sober anymore, does she mean he wants to start doing heroin again, or that he just wants to have a beer at the holiday party? How often does he intend to drink, and how does he see his decision affecting their lives? And are there some potential pitfalls that they can watch out for together?

Instead of the trite, brutal response you gave, Prudie, wouldn’t it be better to suggest your reader sit down with her partner and have an adult conversation?

The idea of “once an addict, always an addict” is outdated and not supported by the evidence. Many people who have been abstinent for a period because of addiction make a responsible, considered decision to return to moderate substance use, just like this man. And many people who have had a problem with one drug find that they can use another without problems—and even with benefits.

Prudie, I am disappointed in you, because I’ve come to expect so much better from your normally wry and thoughtful mind. Addiction is complicated. And it is probably never best discussed on a popular advice column in three-sentence chunks. But your uninformed, snap judgement this week perpetuates lazy misconceptions—and could well be harmful to your reader, her boyfriend and their relationship.
http://www.substance.com/slates-dear-prudence-column-gives-bad-advice-about-addiction/17597/

Not sure that Dear Prudence qualifies as a ''thoughtful'' advice column...The column writer is a stuck up and she clearly looks down on anyone who drinks or uses drugs.
I remember a few letters written by women who were sexually assaulted or harassed while under the influence of alcohol/drugs. She basically scolded them for being drunk while ignoring the assault/harassment part of the letters, which is basically the same as saying ''you were asking for it'' if you're wearing a mini-skirt... Fuck that shit.

Wow def some terrible advice.. Addict or not ultimatums usually don't work out so well. And to assume he's already doing stuff basically is her saying addicts can't be trusted, even ones that have been clean for 5 years....5 weeks maybe, but 5 years come the f on. This woman has no right to give any advice regarding addiction....seems like basically any advice regarding anything. She's just another woman who has to have opinion out there.

The only tragedy here is 'Prudie's' apparent inability to comprehend the black and white textbook AA/NA bigotry which she foolishly believes to be rational and reasonable thought on the subject of recreational drug use.

Try to steer clear of these arrogant idiots as much as is possible, because chances are that - slowly but surely - they'll only bring further misery to your life by way of biased literature-derived unrealistic expectations combined with a stubbornness to their self-proclaimed critical thought processes which will eventually drive you mad.

Wow def some terrible advice.. Addict or not ultimatums usually don't work out so well. And to assume he's already doing stuff basically is her saying addicts can't be trusted, even ones that have been clean for 5 years....5 weeks maybe, but 5 years come the f on. This woman has no right to give any advice regarding addiction....seems like basically any advice regarding anything. She's just another woman who has to have opinion out there.

Priceless post man

The only tragedy here is 'Prudie's' apparent inability to comprehend the black and white textbook AA/NA bigotry which she foolishly believes to be rational and reasonable thought on the subject of recreational drug use.

Try to steer clear of these arrogant idiots as much as is possible, because chances are that - slowly but surely - they'll only bring further misery to your life by way of biased literature-derived unrealistic expectations combined with a stubbornness to their self-proclaimed critical thought processes which will eventually drive you mad.

This made me happy! Thanks for the laugh! Also spot-on.

I do not think returning to use of drugs we have been addicted to is a good idea. I do think that use of beneficial substances is a completely different situation. With addiction, to opiates or alcohol.. a persons chances or returning to anything resembling positive effects from use a very small.. sure could they do it, yeah maybe, but id love to hear positive results that come form this.

Now use of a positive substance, like psilocybin or L, are a totally different playing field.

Drugs are different and create very different results.

Grouping their effects is simpleton crap.