Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Russell Brand: End the Drugs War, review

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Russell Brand: End the Drugs War, review
By Ed Power
15 Dec 2014

Russell Brand's latest polemic was a surprise. Though End The Drugs War did not dance around the comedian-turned-activist's arguably naive belief that all drugs should be decriminalized immediately (sooner if possible), there was more subtlety than might be expected from a collaboration between this one-man anti-capitalist march and BBC3, that yoofiest of yoof channels. Incredibly, the hour-long documentary managed to pack in moments of nuance and insight: following Brand's enfeebled turn on Question Time last week it was a reminder that, actually, the crusading dandy might have some worthwhile opinions after all.

The biggest eye-opener was Brand's uncompromising stance towards the addicts themselves. A former heroin user, his hardline message was that drugs rip apart lives and that those in a spiral of addiction need to wake up to that reality – to take ownership of their self-destruction before it was too late.
In a show predictably heaving with squalor, Brand's puckish brio was a surprising asset. He knows how to work those big puppy eyes and looked as innocent as a baby seal as he attended a police raid on a London crack-house ( "a house where poor people take crack" in Brand parlance). Brand brought a twinkle of levity where all around misery pressed in – how strange that this was exactly what was required.

To his credit, he was also willing to tangle with experts opposed to his pro-legislation viewpoint. "What you are doing is taking a small section of society in numeric terms and saying society's drugs laws should be shaped to meet [their] needs," said Neil McKeganey of the Centre for Drug Misuse, fairly wiping the floor with the comedian. Visibly stung, Brand resorted to the vapid mumblings that had characterised his appearance on Question Time.
But the truly insightful scenes came as Brand stepped down from his soap box and focused on the human stories behind the statistics. We met

Samantha, a habitual user trapped in a cycle of addiction and stewing in depressed indifference in the wake of an umpteenth arrest. Several weeks after her initial conversation with Brand, we caught up with her and friend Kelly: both had tumbled spectacularly off the wagon and seemed five sheets to the wind as they cackled at Brand and stuffed their faces with bananas.

It didn't take long for the veneer to splinter: tears streaking her face, Kelly revealed that, the previous year, her baby had been taken from her in the hospital delivery room and put into care. She lurched forward, into Brand's baffled embrace. He appeared unsure whether to empathize or recoil – a reaction that perfectly encapsulated society's attitude towards habitual drug use.

Most thought-provoking of all was a visit to a Swiss facility where addicts could safely shoot up. Claude, a wraithlike school teacher with a 30-year heroin habit, provided more context than all of Brand's woolly theorizing. "There is always a story of pain [behind drug use]," he said. "If you were able to process the pain, the drugs would not be necessary." Brand had ended up a bystander in his own screed – and End The Drugs War was all the richer for it.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/...1/Russell-Brand-End-the-Drugs-War-review.html

To his credit, he was also willing to tangle with experts opposed to his pro-legislation viewpoint. "What you are doing is taking a small section of society in numeric terms and saying society's drugs laws should be shaped to meet [their] needs," said Neil McKeganey of the Centre for Drug Misuse, fairly wiping the floor with the comedian.

A civilized society does not oppress a minority to accommodate the majority.

I just watched this and enjoyed it, worth a watch for sure. Explored some good ideas and conversations on many things, from addiction and rehab to jail to legal drug taking centres and different laws in different countries and lots more.

I just can't take brand seriously as a reformer. His stance against maintenance drugs is misinformed at best. I really don't know who made him the mouth piece for drug reformers everywhere. But whatever he gets headlines and som of the message right.

Yeah I didn't really mind him, I liked some of the places they went and people he chatted with etc. That place in Bern, Switzerland (i think) was a cool centre, where although drugs are illegal there people are allowed to go in and use safely and they provide users with clean needles, foil and other things. It showed people using meth/ice bongs and stuff.

I just can't take brand seriously as a reformer. His stance against maintenance drugs is misinformed at best. I really don't know who made him the mouth piece for drug reformers everywhere. But whatever he gets headlines and som of the message right.

I agree he is not the best mouthpiece, as he certainly does not have the logic of drug policy reform advocacy down pat. Yet I'm grateful because he is well-known and this is not a topic that people tend to think about unless it is shoved in their faces, unfortunately.

Yeah, I hear ya. He seems to have trouble expressing himself, and I sincerely don't mean that in a derogatory manner.

Unfortunately, people tend to exploit such things to death and then some, especially when debating a controversial topic. And the majority of the public would rather laugh instead of using their heads to try and contemplate whether it's a reason (or even the reason) why Brand resorted to the use of certain drugs in the first place. "Oh, but the drug use is responsible for that," is the rebuttal I'd probably receive.

Get him to the greek, pretty good visuals for how a functioning addict handles himself,
actually not at all as that's him self.

As said before I'm all for every one jumping on this boat. If we all agree can there be question as to the true reason drug laws were placed.
greedy government officials with pistols
Shout out zombie jewice

I saw this just 20 min ago... seeing the h smoking and the brown color of the foil again made me thrill... I've been sober for over four months... Now Im just thinking too much. Is just hard to overcome such powerful memories 8(

However, I give points to Russel for doing it. After all, he already has enough money just to be another upper class hypocrite blaming addicts for their weakness; maybe doing this kind of stuff is what keeps him sober after all.

... and I also tough Samantha was pretty hot...;) I could definetly use a girl like that. Ha!

Last edited: