• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

If You’re Missing $100K, Your ATM Card And Some Drugs, Someone At Burger King Found

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
If You’re Missing $100K, Your ATM Card And Some Drugs, Someone At Burger King Found Your Stuff
By Mary Beth Quirk
December 1, 2014

Does your back feel suddenly lighter? Is it like you were carrying the weight of $100,000 in cash, along with some drugs and a mysterious white rock, and now you aren’t? Perhaps you left your backpack filled with money, drugs and your ATM card at a Burger King in San Jose, where a manager discovered it.

While employees at fast food joints often find the forgotten belongings of customers, those personal items usually include things like wallets or cell phones. But last week, someone left behind a whole lot more, reports NBC Bay Area.

A worker spotted a blue backpack sitting on the table alone at the restaurant for hours and told the restaurant’s owner, who investigated the abandoned bag to check for an ID or phone number. Instead, he found ten stacks of $10,000 bills, an ATM card, marijuana, some phone numbers and a “white rock,” that might be drugs.

“I was shocked,” he said. “There was a stack of hundred dollar bills wrapped in rubber bands. I called police.”

When police came by to pick up the bag, they told him that he could be eligible to receive that hefty chunk of change in six months, if it goes unclaimed until then. So far, police say they don’t have many leads on who left it behind.

In any case, the owner says he won’t keep that money for himself no matter where it came from. He says his motto is “if you don’t sweat, it’s not yours.”
\
continued here http://consumerist.com/2014/12/01/i...rugs-someone-at-burger-king-found-your-stuff/

...................................................................................................................................

I 100% believe the worker whos getting paid minimum wage should have the right to it not the owner...all he did was go check it out...he did not find it. At least gice the worker 10 gs...come on now...the worker most definitely swests workinf sround those hot ass grills no matter where in the restaurant he/she works...also that person...if they HAVE to donate some should be able to decide where the money gets donated to...but for real at least give the person 1/10th the money...it's only right

I'll be very surprised if that money isn't kept by the piggies working narcotics.

Im thinking it was some sort of a drop that failed.. You dont just space a backpack full of that much money and drugs as well.

You would think there is a name on the atm card ?

I find it very surprising they are saying that he might be eligible for the money. Cops in the US seem to take every opportunity to steal citizens money without having to prove it was illicit money, I have heard of cases where Police seized mere hundreds while claiming they were proceeds of or going to be used for drugs. When you have $100,000 sitting in a backpack with some weed and a white rock it seems incredibly likely this is drug money.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather a citizen get this money than Police, I just find it strange they have not immediately claimed this money for themselves.

Sounds cartel related...why all the cash and a random ATM card? Just sounds weird...I wouldn't keep that money either, I'd think someone would come looking for it

I find it very surprising they are saying that he might be eligible for the money. Cops in the US seem to take every opportunity to steal citizens money without having to prove it was illicit money, I have heard of cases where Police seized mere hundreds while claiming they were proceeds of or going to be used for drugs. When you have $100,000 sitting in a backpack with some weed and a white rock it seems incredibly likely this is drug money.

Don't get me wrong, I would rather a citizen get this money than Police, I just find it strange they have not immediately claimed this money for themselves.
arrest the people claiming the money.

When police came by to pick up the bag, they told him that he could be eligible to receive that hefty chunk of change in six months, if it goes unclaimed until then.

Yeah, like that's going to happen.

Someone may have already been killed over this.

I agree with the poster above who said that the worker should keep the money, not the manager.

Worker should have never reported it. SMH

Every time I read a story like this I just think "WHY". What a fucking shame. The things I could do if I found that kind of cash. It would be absolutely life changing. Fucking idiots.

^
A friend of mine had a similar situation. Found a duffle bag with 7 grand in it, some tourists left behind. A week later, cops arrested him since he was on camera at his work for taking it. You have to tread very carefully in these cases.

Someone may have already been killed over this.

I agree with the poster above who said that the worker should keep the money, not the manager.

Yes of course!! I would take at least a great part of the cash since no one had counted. Why not??
Or more! And leave the bag where it was..

I´m sure the owner of this money wasn´t on his way to the Church..

^
A friend of mine had a similar situation. Found a duffle bag with 7 grand in it, some tourists left behind. A week later, cops arrested him since he was on camera at his work for taking it. You have to tread very carefully in these cases.

This, unfortunately. Total bullshit, and yeah I wouldn't trust the cops either, they're human too and face the exact same moral dilemma whether to keep it for themselves or not, except they have the legal advantage to actually get away with it. I hate this world.

^ Yeah, it almost definitely was a drop and the manager got there because someone went to the wrong Burger King.

Argument with boss afterwards : 'I said the Burger King on 5th Street, NOT 5th Avenue'

As for my friend, I couldn't believe they arrested him. The people left the bag and didn't come back until the next day! Seriously, who leaves a bag with thousands in it and doesn't realize right away.

However, he hid the money well and used it for bail money. I have no idea what happened to him afterwards. He was my cell mate for a few days, then he bailed out and I never saw him again.