• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

advice on how to quit heroin

Tacoma

Bluelighter
So I've been thinking about trying to quit heroin again. This time I want to try and quit at home rehab didn't work for me I wanna try and stop on my own advice? What helps with the withdrawals and cravings?

Suboxone helps with the cravings. You have GOT to get new hobbies and/or friends, the freetime you have will make you relapse faster than anything

What if I don't get sub? I think I'd rather give methadone a try if anything. I've done cold turkey for about 3 days and then got clonidine but that was back when I was just hooked on pain meds how much worse should I expect these withdrawals too be if I do get up the courage to try again?

is there a reason you don't want to try suboxone? Just curious. For me it's helped a lot, I find it way better than methadone.

I was prescribed sub back when I was trying to quit pills and it was such a hassle for me to get I just gave up checked out of rehab and started with smack. I know other H addicts who PRAISE methadone

I"m sure they do, I was only offering up my personal experience. Good luck on methadone.

Im not sure which I'd be going for if I did try to quit methadone seems like a better option. Anyone quit cold turkey or with just clonidine what would that be like?

My old methadone clinic also had a suboxone program.

I have quit cold turkey as well. As you can imagine, it sucks. But if you remove yourself from your environment and do it somewhere else, that helps a lot. Also keeping busy and trying to move around a bit helps. Imodium, I've heard? Anyone else have input on this?

And yes, you have to find new hobbies, new friends. Otherwise you'll get bored and lonely and call your old friends, and then that leads right back to smack.

Luckily I'm the only one out of my friends who does smack. Them seeing what I go through they won't touch it. Not so luckily that would mean not seeing family anymore. Trying to find some way I can quit without terrible withdrawals so I don't loose my job.

Check out suboxone and see if there is a clinic in your area that does suboxone therapy.

If you are not ready to be done with opiates, suboxone or methadone are great in a harm reduction sense. However, they are much harder to get off of and you are still activating your opiate receptors every single day.

You could taper with something like kratom, or even on the H, or you could look into something like ibogaine. You could also taper with suboxone over a 5-7 day period.

And, yes, quitting short acting opiates cold turkey is a horrible experience. However, it IS do-able. I would recommend getting out of town to do it. Somewhere where you can't score. The psychological aspect of going cold turkey is one of the worst parts and removing yourself from the situation helps a lot.

Thanks for the suggestions everyone hopefully I'll be able to get my courage up enough to try again

Hey, you can do this. It's definitely not easy by any means, but it is completely doable. Lots of people here have done it and if you need support, any and all of us will be here to help. Maybe check out your local NA meetings... I've found that even just having people to call and someplace to go can really help.

Back when I was quitting pain pills it was hell so I'm really scared to try an quit heroin.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions and support going to try and get sub

Methadone just made me want to do more H only stay sober for 7 days while taking that but subs did the trick for me. Even if you can just a few to help you over the initial WDs you'll be grateful for them. I thought it helped being alone since WDing is kinda ugly and you're are irritated. Look up OTC aids to and make sure you're somewhere comfy. Good Luck!

Thank you. I also like being alone when withdrawing don't like people watching me when I'm crying puking and sweating it out