• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Hypotension with Quetiapine

paranoid android

Bluelight Crew
Does anybody else get hypotension especially just after waking up from Quetiapine? I hate this side effect and it's about the only really bad one i get. Has anyone found a way to combat this side effect? The only thing that seems to help me abit is a fuckload of strong coffee.

I can't just change meds either as only Risperidone and Quetiapine is covered out of all the atypicals on my insurance. Risperidone turns me into a fucking zombie and just sucks. But the Seroquel (my insurance only covers the IR's as well not the XL version) gives me low blood pressure worse then IV Chlorpromazine ffs.

I dont know,for hypotension. But I sleep for 10 hours on this thing,soon be quitting this med..I hope. But after I wake up, my heart beats a little heavy and I dont think clearly thats for sure,so it might be something I imagine. None or less,Ill be giving up this med,I dont want to use anything for sleep,especially this..I get some involuntary face movements,plus pale face if I get up tooo early

I dont know,for hypotension. But I sleep for 10 hours on this thing,soon be quitting this med..I hope. But after I wake up, my heart beats a little heavy and I dont think clearly thats for sure,so it might be something I imagine. None or less,Ill be giving up this med,I dont want to use anything for sleep,especially this..I get some involuntary face movements,plus pale face if I get up tooo early

I strongly advise against using Quetiapine or any other anti-psychotic for sleep. Although very low dose Methotrimeprazine (trade name Nozinan in Canada) does help for very severe insomnia with a very low risk of EPS symptoms or TD developing. If your getting movement disorders from Seroquel tell your doctor asap. If you had bipolar disorder or some psychotic disorder such as Schizoaffective disorder or Schizophrenia and Quetiapine worked for you while other drugs didn't then it might be justifiable but for insomnia there are far better meds out there. The sedating tricyclic anti-depressants such as Amitriptyline, Trimipramine, Doxepin, etc work well for alot of people including myself The Serotonin and Norepinephrine enhancer Mirtazapine (trade name Remeron) is also great for sleep in low doses of 15mg's or less. When you hit the 30mg+ mark the Norepinephrine effects start to override the strong H1 antagonism of Mirtazapine. So in low doses Mirtazapine is basically a very strong anti-histamine. Also the anti-histamines such as Diphenhydramine, Hydroxyzine, Doxylamine and Promethazine among others make good sleep meds as long as you don't take them often because i find you get used to them pretty quick.

If your heart feels heavy when you wake up i got that feeling with Risperidone a few times when i first started taking it and i think it was tachycardia that caused it. Is Seroquel the only anti-psychotic you have ever been on? Movement disorders from Seroquel alone are fairly rare and i think getting TD from Seroquel alone is almost unheard of. What dose are you on by the way? I just feel like i have taken Clonidine or something sometimes when i first wake up after taking Quetiapine. Not to mention the awful dry mouth i get from it :!

I hate the feeling that it gives me but I really rely on it..without Q I feel tired but I dont fall asleep and this fact alone gives me horrific feeling. For the start it was godsend because Ambien didnt work with my panic ...yea I had panic attacks ,having adrenaline boost when totally exhausted trying to fall asleep,it is weirdest feeling ever. Im on 100mg,25 didnt work 50 didnt either,now Im on somewhat 50..but really find it really hard to sleep,especially when lying there worrying about your sleep and is it withdrawal or just my good old panic disorder. I have problem only with falling asleep,it is very important thing to me and I feel great responsibility ,which fuck ups everything in perspective...my vicious cycle. I dont get any therapy,my doc just prescribes me shit and even doesnt ask too many questions if I ask him for some extras like ambien or xanax.
My therapy for panic disorder was like : Quetiapine 100mg at night , Zoloft 0.5 mg to help start the day, xanax 0.25 if I feel panicky
The best and most stable sleep I get is when I convince my self that I dont give a fuck about my self and be bold. But this is so fragile.. What you suggest instead of Quetiapine? It gives me so much sedation its crazy I dont think I dont concentrate on it if I dont sleep..
for first time in my life I realised what is Restless leg syndrome and moving lips and face without my control..but those were few times luckily ..really I want to kick this nasty med

Last edited:
^You can try risperdal (risperdone). Maybe switch to that. They are similar but less sedation/side effects than seroquel.
You could also always try Nerontin (gabapentin) for the restless feelings. They are oftentimes perscribed together.

Yes, that´s correct. However, the Seroquel tends to worsen the restlessness symptoms.

Unfortunately for now I need the sedation despite all the side effects,dont get me wrong those are horrific ,but I rarely get them.. These two previous nights where total failure,not only I was seconds from falling asleep ,I also was very whiny and panicking at the 6:00 in the morning when I failed to fall asleep for 4 hours so I upped my dose back to 100mg. Now I feel guilty and weak because for 3 months I lowered my dose to 75mg..Now I should be only 50mg..
Sorry android for posting it here,but really need to get it out, you seem very experienced with meds

Last edited:
Seroquel made my heart pound so hard it felt like Id just ran a marathon laying in bed. It's not the best for the vitals.