View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Afghan Opium Boom Breaks Record Again

poledriver

Bluelighter
Afghan Opium Boom Breaks Record Again

opium-fields-13.jpg

Opium poppy cultivation in Afghanistan rose 7 percent from 209,000 hectares in 2013 to 224,000 hectares, according to the 2014 Afghanistan Opium Survey released Nov. 12 by the Afghan Ministry of Counter Narcotics and the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime (UNODC). Opium production may increase 17 percent, with yields estimated to reach 6,400 tons in 2014 compared to the previous year's total of 5,500 tons. These increases come after record highs were marked in 2013, when cultivation rose 36 percent and production by almost a half over 2012.

According to the UNODC, Afghanistan produces some 90 percent of the world's illicit opiates. Average opium yield amounted to 28.7 kilograms per hectare in 2014, 9% up from 2013 when it stood at 26.3 kilograms per hectare. The number of poppy-free provinces remained at 15 with northern Balkh regaining that status, while neighboring Sari Pul lapsed back into production. The bulk of poppy cultivation -- 89 percent -- was concentrated in nine southern and western provinces which are also the heartland of the Taliban insurgency. Helmand province remained Afghanistan's leading opium grower, taking 46 percent of the national total, followed by Kandahar, Farah, and Nangarhar. The only good news is that the number of casualties during the 2014 eradication campaign fell significantly; 13 lives was lost, compared with 143 fatalities in 2013.

UNODC chief Yury Fedotov said: "We cannot afford to see the long-term stability of Afghanistan -- and the wider region -- derailed by the threat of opiates. What is needed is greater resolve towards addressing narcotics in a serious and tangible manner within the economic, development and security agendas."

Cont -

http://hightimes.com/read/afghan-opium-boom-breaks-record-again

That picture is making my mouth water. Yummy! Well... kinda.

It's great that this story has been covered so much. It continues to convince people around the world that the war on (certain) drugs must end immediately, as it's a waste of everything.

I wonder when its going to reach the us....this big of an influx of heroin means it could wind up in other countries.

Of course they would have to make it a HCl salt for Americans but amount of money to be made is incredibly massive.

I wonder when its going to reach the us....this big of an influx of heroin means it could wind up in other countries.

Of course they would have to make it a HCl salt for Americans but amount of money to be made is incredibly massive.

I was reading and article the other day about how they were stockpiling the opium so the price of H wouldnt drop... kinda like how ppl in the diamond industry buy up all the diamonds so ppl think their rare... but the article said they had enough opium to supply the world with two years worth of dope even if they dont harvest one poppy this year... so basically that means their wont be a massive influx and drop in price any time soon.. these ppl are straight bussiness and know what their doing to make the most money

I was reading and article the other day about how they were stockpiling the opium so the price of H wouldnt drop... kinda like how ppl in the diamond industry buy up all the diamonds so ppl think their rare... but the article said they had enough opium to supply the world with two years worth of dope even if they dont harvest one poppy this year... so basically that means their wont be a massive influx and drop in price any time soon.. these ppl are straight bussiness and know what their doing to make the most money

you always sell some of your extra product. diversity of the excess stock in form of cash to convert to other assets is a good way to ensure you reap the reward of your huge crop, not just sit in a warehouse and potentially be lost.

where is the extra going?

Yea a lot of time dealers, esp big dope dealers will sit on a load till it's kinda dry on the streets, break it out and just bank the fuck out of slaming to everyone at upped prices BC let's face it I'm sure a lot of us have paid way more money for a bag of dope when you're sick then when you would usually tell the person to fuck off...nature of the game.

you always sell some of your extra product. diversity of the excess stock in form of cash to convert to other assets is a good way to ensure you reap the reward of your huge crop, not just sit in a warehouse and potentially be lost.

where is the extra going?

I understand what your saying but its not like its sitting in a wharehouse here in the states where the cops really could just come bust it and everything is lost... its sitting in Afghanstan, Pakistan, Turkey ect. where the cops arent gona make a move like that. And if you were sitting on 10k tons of opium why would you wana "flood" the market and see what your selling go from 15 a key to 5? Theres always gna be a market and you never know you might really have a shitty harvest next year and not get anything, and if you dont have anything you dont have any money comming in so you lose your power and everything else.... Also I dont think it was just one person stockpiling the opium, it sounded more like a group of ppl.

No shit how bout we take a peek into the checkbooks and records of those handlin opiates that end up medicinal vs. Recreational.
give these people jobs they are clearly hard workers who need money and have the work ethic as well as knowledge an experience from generations of poppy farmers.
sure they are just as much conousuers/entrepreneurs as some one growing high quality dank in cali.
I understand what your saying but its not like its sitting in a wharehouse here in the states where the cops really could just come bust it and everything is lost... its sitting in Afghanstan, Pakistan, Turkey ect. where the cops arent gona make a move like that. And if you were sitting on 10k tons of opium why would you wana "flood" the market and see what your selling go from 15 a key to 5? Theres always gna be a market and you never know you might really have a shitty harvest next year and not get anything, and if you dont have anything you dont have any money comming in so you lose your power and everything else.... Also I dont think it was just one person stockpiling the opium, it sounded more like a group of ppl.

I'm sure these poppy fields threw out wherever are fairly protected/fortified.

Honestly prolly our prescriptions like there's a clear paper trail anywhere.

Also the "they" stockpiling are probably the people who ship it out to the world an what not.

big papi sittin on some packs, sounds good till your offed for your position.
I say move it while it's hot dawwgg

Last edited: