• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Synthetic Drug "Sass" Causes Death In Illinois

Prescottdave

Bluelighter
Synthetic Drug "Sass" Causes Death In Illinois

An Illinois woman died after reportedly ingesting a synthetic substance known as "Sass", bringing yet another dangerous synthetic compound into the spotlight.

Cristina Villasana, 21, reportedly passed away on Tuesday night after taking the drug, which is a form of ecstasy made from the sassafras plant. Authorities are still trying to determine who supplied Villasana with the drug, but believe that the people who drove her to the hospital hampered the investigation by providing false information.

Safrole, which is derived from sassafras oil, has been banned from use in food by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration due to it being a cancer-causing agent. It also serves as a precursor to MDMA or ecstasy.

When sass levels in the body reach acute toxicity, some of the symptoms are similar to that of ecstasy including increased blood pressure and heart rate, sweating and a dramatic increase in body temperature. Death is typically caused either by cardiac arrests or hemorrhaging in the brain that leads to a stroke. However, the rates of death are extremely low at roughly 1 of out every 50,000 users.

Other relatively new synthetic drugs have also been causing havoc in recent months. More than two dozen high school students in Michigan were hospitalized last month after taking a synthetic cannabinoid known as Cloud 9. Also known as Hookah Relax, it is primarily sold as a liquid in eyedropper bottles. It can be smoked, drank or inhaled in a vaporizer, but is often used with e-cigarettes or "hookah pens."

Side effects of ingesting Cloud 9 include paranoia, suicidal ideation, nightmarish hallucinations, and chest pains leading to near heart attacks. In a couple of cases, high school students were admitted into psychiatric facilities after mixing the compound with prescription drugs like Xanax and Vicodin. The mixture with the prescription narcotic and the benzodiazepine led to adverse psychological reactions.
And unlike regular marijuana, the physical side effects from withdrawal can be debilitating. "She couldn't eat and couldn't sleep,” said one mother whose daughter stopped using Cloud 9. “My daughter dropped 30 pounds. There were three weeks of withdrawal from it.”

http://www.thefix.com/content/synthetic-drug-sass-causes-death-illinois

Last edited:
"Sass" as in MDA. If you go to the Erowid site and look up MDA you will find the most common street name is Sass or Sassafras. Firstly MDA is as far as I know not a new drug . It was actually developed before MDMA. "When sass levels in the body reach acute toxicity". Excuse me but clinical or peer reviewed data on so called acutely toxic Sass levels do not exist. Last month the Fix made up a new drug called AB-PINICHA actually spelled AB-PINICA now they are reporting on a new chemical called "Sass". This article once again is focusing on the fear factor of this so called new drug Sass as extremely dangerous without looking into what the actual chemical found in the product which would likely be MDA. Without a toxicology test we have no way of knowing if any of the chemicals in the drug are remotely related to MDMA. For all we know the person could have overdosed on PMA. I have been seeing some really ignorant and biased articles lately on the Fix that started with the Cloud Nine report. For all those interested in how the media is portraying new synthetic drugs in our culture check out the Cloud Nine report on The Fix then reference the article on Reason called "rise of the mystery highs". This type of reporting is unacceptable. How is the Fix getting information on these drugs or synthetic drugs in general?

Last edited:
Your post looks fine. So is 'Sass' MDA? It's certainly not a new drug, and I dont know why they are calling it that if that's what they are talking about. I've had it loads, in powder and pill form, and as far back as 20 years ago.

There is a comment section on the site I noticed so if you feel like it drop a comment on it.

Sass is usually MDA. Per Erowid MDA is commonly called Sass. The thing is these reporters should not be commenting on street names but instead they should report on the actual chemicals found in the toxicology test. What this does is spread misinformation and fear. The Fix blocked me from commenting after I referenced a Vice investigative report on a rehab they hold in high regards. Otherwise I would.

Last edited:
It doesn't neccasryily mean MDA. I've never heard that slang. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just some branded rc stim. Sassafras grows like a weed behind my house, it's roots were the original flavor of root beer. Ive read articicals of forests being destroyed from this yet it seems to grow well in many climates, as ik it grows in South America and it's here in New England as well.

Go to erowid and look up MDA. Secondly TheFix is reporting on a new drug called Sass. Lastly MDA can have a mild sassafras smell. This is one of the reasons it has gotten that name. Exactly it could in the end be a number of different drugs but the Fix is saying this drug is related to MDMA thus the fear affect without referencing the tox report. Before long you have people going around telling their friends theirs a new killer drug to hit the scene called sass. On the tour scene kids go around whispering sass sass. If you follow through MDA is most common. At least that is how it was 7 years ago.

The thing with fake MDMA/"Molly"/"sass" whatever is that it could be any number of chemicals current being passed off as crystalline MDMA.
There was a documentary made recently about Bunk Police (festival drug testers) and it's pretty clear that a great deal of "Molly" on the market can be practically anything.

I have been hearing people talking about "sass" at festivals for years now, which is supposed to be a MDA/MDMA mix, but people keep calling it "sassafras" and are swearing that it's a natural, safer alternative to MDMA. It's scary how rampant this misconception is especially among the girls, they love saying that they're "rolling on sassafras" or that it's "organic". This one dude argued with me so hard about it SWEARING that it's simply a powdered sassafras plant, we seriously almost got in a fight over it. The kid is probably dead by now.

'Sass' is a slang term not unlike 'molly.' It can be MDA, MDMA, or MDE--they all come from safrole--but MDMA is the most common.

It doesn't neccasryily mean MDA. I've never heard that slang. I wouldn't be surprised if it was just some branded rc stim. Sassafras grows like a weed behind my house, it's roots were the original flavor of root beer. Ive read articicals of forests being destroyed from this yet it seems to grow well in many climates, as ik it grows in South America and it's here in New England as well.

Sass is the most common slang term for MDA in that region, in my experience a highly impure, oily (sometimes almost wet), crystal form of MDA that smells strongly of sassafrass.

And sassafras smells like liquorice is that correct? Many times I have had MDMA pills that smell like liquorice. The MDA powder I used to get had more of a chemical smell and taste tho, but was sometimes dampish.

We used to call MDA 'M' or plural 'M's' (as in an amount of usually capped up MDA powder, or less often MDA tablets), and MDMA E or plural E's.

Endotropic is in my opinion the most on in regards to MDA it's looks, smell and what not and slang terms used for the drug. What I am seeing the Fix doing is calling this drug "sass" instead of finding out what was in the persons system they start talking about acutely toxic levels of "Sass" which by the way is a slang term for MDA most of the time. Their are no acutely toxic levels for Sass because Sass is not the name of an actual chemical. I encourage you guys to read the Fix report on cloud nine and you will get an idea about the issues with their reporting on synthetic drugs. The posters bring up some good points people could be out their passing off PMA pills as sass/MDA. If you go to erowid you will find under the MDA section the slang term for the drug which is Sass. If you go to the MDE or MDMA section Sass is not a common term for the drug though MDMA is some times called "Sass".

Last edited:
media does that all the time sadly, they jump to conclusions with no real proof, like calling a blotter LSD when much later after a tox report it turns out to be nbome etc. It's a shame they are allowed to do such things legally, you dont see them retract or apologise much about such errors.

How stupid. Sass is not a drug at all, it's a slang term for whatever bunk shit this lady ingested. No new form of E just more shitty reporting with no actual knowledge. Why can't a reporters ever do their homework?? If this chick had tested her drugs this article wouldn't exist. I guess we'll see this "NEW" drug in a toxicology report if it's ever released.