Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Why Putin Might Blame the U.S. for Russia’s Drugs Problem

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Why Putin Might Blame the U.S. for Russia’s Drugs Problem
By Jonathan Tirone
November 14, 2014

Another record poppy crop in Afghanistan, already the source of 90 percent of the world’s heroin, threatens to exacerbate the drug problem in Russia and stoke tensions between President Vladimir Putin and the U.S.

As the biggest market for illicit opiates, Russia is in the front line as the U.S. withdraws its troops from Afghanistan after spending an estimated $7.6 billion in a failed attempt to curb narcotics production.

Russia now faces a public health crisis and a rise in crime stoked by the flow of Afghan heroin, Yuri Fedotov, executive secretary of the United Nations Office on Drugs and Crime, said Nov. 12 at a briefing in Vienna. The U.S. special inspector general for Afghanistan reconstruction, John Sopko, visited Fedotov this week to give his assessment of the lost drug war.

“This failure in Afghanistan affects what I call the new Cold War with Russia,” said Robert Legvold, who led an effort by the American Academy of Arts and Sciences to reformulate U.S. policy on Russia. “It supports the views expressed by Putin and his circle that U.S. foreign policy has been intentionally destructive.”

As the U.S. grapples with Russia’s encroachment in Ukraine, government officials and advisers say the failure of the Afghan drugs effort helps explain Russian sensitivities. While U.S. forces withdraw from a 13-year Afghan war that cost 2,350 American lives, more than 7,000 Russians die annually from heroin overdoses.

Police Growing Poppies

Russians, who already account for about a fifth of the $70 billion global opiate market, are unlikely to see a reduction of supply in the foreseeable future, according to the UN. A reduced North Atlantic Treaty Organization presence in Afghanistan may encourage more poppy cultivation.

“With their departure, many jobs will be lost, so that could be one incentive to increase cultivation of opium,” said Fedotov, a former Russian diplomat. Delayed government salaries have already forced people to abandon jobs like law enforcement for poppy cultivation, he said.

Afghan land under poppy cultivation hit a record 224,000 hectares (554,000 acres) last year, according to the UN. Opium production rose about 17 percent to 6,400 tons while the number of fields eradicated by security forces plummeted 63 percent to 2,692 hectares.

Underlining the U.S. counter narcotics failure, opium production rose faster in the areas where the U.S. and U.K. targeted $56 million of aid to help farmers switch from growing poppies to pomegranates than it did in areas that received no money, the UN said.

G-8 Statement

Still, policy makers in Washington are now asking themselves whether reducing involvement in the Afghan counter narcotics fight may actually improve the situation, according to two U.S. government analysts who asked not to be named because the debates are private. Without U.S. funds that can be diverted for corruption, the Afghan traffickers may face financial constraints, they said.

This year’s increase in opium production followed a June 2013 call for efforts to curb production made by the Group of Eight leaders at their summit in Northern Ireland. Before Russia was kicked out of the group for its Ukraine land grab, it joined in on a communique urging “further measures to reduce” poppy cultivation and “tackle more effectively” Afghanistan’s drug problem.

Afghan Dependence

Countries shouldn’t expect Afghanistan to kick its habit anytime soon, according to Pakistan’s former central bank governor, Shamshad Akhtar, who now leads a UN office promoting economic development in Asia.

continued here http://www.businessweek.com/news/20...rop-inflames-u-dot-s-dot-tensions-with-russia

Who sells the heroin to consumers in Russia?

I can totally see the Americans and Chechens smuggling dope in, but retail is always a local problem.

I was about to trash talk Mr. Putin because of his views regarding certain controversial topics, but the truth is that I've never met him in person, and I don't know him very well at all.

His CV appears to be very impressive, and it seems like he's sincere about wanting to protect Russia from foreign influence and control.

That being said, it really bothers me that he doesn't appear to grasp the severity of the situation in his native land, nor does he sound like someone who comprehends the complexities and nuances which encompass habitual drug use.

I have learned over the past decade how difficult it is to explain to someone who has no first-hand experience about the reasons why people resort to drug use, why they continue to use, and most importantly, why it can be next to impossible for the user to stop. And it doesn't matter how many words I use - some people just don't get it.

For the most part - I don't blame them, because I was the same way before I began dabbling with recreational drugs.

The point I'm trying to make is this: To be an expert in a specific field of study - such as drug addiction - it would make a fundamental and profound difference if the "expert" has personally been there.

Anyways, Methadone and Methadone Maintenance Treatment Clinics continue to be illegal in Russia, and not even Tylenol 1 with Codeine is available OTC anymore. I guarantee that this wouldn't be the case if Putin personally knew how difficult it can be for a heroin addict to simply walk it off.

If he would allow Opioid Substitution Maintenance programs in Russia, it would be a huge help. I'm talking a choice between Methadone, Buprenorphine, and Heroin - based on how the patient responds to the treatment.

Also, they need to implement free needle exchange programs, safe injection sites, and decriminalization of all drugs for personal use.

This would be a great start. And no, it won't encourage more drug use. And no, the children will not be worse off.

Mr. Putin, you seem like an intelligent individual according to your CV. I wish you'd understand that there is a way out of this that doesn't involve more of the same useless and futile attempts to criminalize the possession of heroin and other mind altering substances.

As I type this up, countless Russians are suffering needlessly. They are in agony because they can't afford another fix, but also because there's no MMT available in the country. And some of them may resort to the use of 'Krokodil' as a result of this.

If you love your country as much as you claim you do, then help your fellow comrades and end their needless suffering. You have the power to do so - stop procrastinating and get it done please.

Problem isn't heroin over there it's Krokidil made with codeine pills and tons of toxins. Dope goes for 600+ a gram vs 50 a gram of krok. Even though ppl know it rots you from the inside.

Recent episode of drugs inc exposed it very well. Controlling the pharmacies who stock and sell more codeine than ANYTHING else are the problem.

^^lol well put ro :)

The men and women who provide HIV rapid testing to sex workers and users at the risk of their lives to the state in Russia are my heroes, just as those who do any meaningful type of harm reduction work in the country, considering it's outright illegal (and how illegal it is). Russia has no drug policy per se, in the sense America has no immigration policy to speak of. It's illegal and you get punished if you're caught, despite the incredibly strong "bootleg" or "moonshine" cultures throughout the Russian region.

As destructive as it is, given the horrible situation (which is the reason for the destruction in the first place), you do have to hand it to krokodil cooks. While the situation is incredibly sad/grievous in the circumstances on the ground in Russia and any area where harm reductions programmes are illegal which can give birth to something like krokodil, shake and bake meth, etc., the cooks who make shite like that area pretty fucking creative and industrious, all considered.

Plus, gtfo. I mean, Russians and their neighbors have been using afghan heroin for decades, if not opium/opiates for centuries. AND all that aside, why wouldn't Putin blame the US? He can pretty do whatever the fuck he wants to in his position (in Russia/area).

Problem isn't heroin over there it's Krokidil made with codeine pills and tons of toxins. Dope goes for 600+ a gram vs 50 a gram of krok. Even though ppl know it rots you from the inside.

Recent episode of drugs inc exposed it very well. Controlling the pharmacies who stock and sell more codeine than ANYTHING else are the problem.

Dude, I really hope you don't give too much credence to really any cable tv show about drugs, as good as drugs inc is given what else is out there (as in complete shit about drugs in media and on tv). Want to learn something useful about "desomorphine" or krokodil or it's emergence in Russia? Vice's Krokodil Tears is entertaining Breaking Worse is still the best info about krokodil out there (video @ https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=treP9-sCQCk).

Last edited by a moderator:
putin and obama and a bunch of other dicks are in Aus at the moment for g20

Yeah I watched it last night, that wont fix the problem tho, they can't stop it all, it will no doubt just get sold other ways if pharmacies get forced to stop selling the codeine products w/out a prescription.

prohibiting the OTC sale of codeine for any reason is just about as likely as stopping its distribution or use for any purpose as prohibiting alcohol or any other commonly used and useful drug (personally alcohol is more useful as a solvent, as it dilutes well in h2o, but for others I could see it's usefulness as an inebriant, toxic as it commonly can be). all you need now is a bribe, prescription, handy pharmacist buddy or handy transport guy. Might make it a tiny bit more expensive, encourage shady business practices and lead to worse health outcomes, but it won't make it significantly harder to get. Such is life under prohibition. Of and did you know how useful bribes can be in parts of Russia? Did I mention that? :\

Last edited by a moderator: