• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Opioids Kratom?

DeathByShadows

Greenlighter
Im planning on ordering some Kratom for depression and I need a few answers.
- I m getting an ounce. How many table or tea spoons do I need to take to feel pretty good? I heard of people taking 30~50 grams a day and that made my ounce seem really small ): like its just a one time use.
- If you've had expirence with Kratom how was your high?
-What Kratom Strain Do you recommend? Im looking for a Europhoric, Relaxed, Chilled type high. Thanks to anyone who answers :).

I really enjoy Kratom but have yet to explore very high doses. I noticed a calming, definitely active effect from only a gram so start small, people using those high amounts likely have a pre-existing opiate tolerance.

It is a very effective anti-depressant at low doses, increases focus and lowers anxiety well. it's great for comedowns. ill take between 1-3 grams for these therapeutic effects. 3-5 grams is enough to give me pretty strong euphoria and a very relaxing carefree night where i could pass out - however i have no tolerance and i'm fairly thin. Maeng Da kratom is probably the most popular strain and is known for being pretty euphoric, other strains can be more calming.

Kratom is a very under-rated drug and i like it alot, based on what you are looking for you'll probably enjoy it.

If you are completely opiate naive, kratom is great. As long as your kratom is from a reputable source and is good quality, you should only need 2-6 grams to get some good effects. Weigh out your doses using a scale, don't try to guess using a tbsp. Different strains can vary greatly in volume. You should be able to get a good few uses out of your ounce.

Like I said, if you have no previous opiate tolerance, kratom will give you a nice euphoric buzz. You may even catch a nod in higher doses, but that goes away quickly with tolerance. Red Veins and Bali are the more relaxing strains. Maeng Da and Green strains are more euphoric/energetic. Whites are a nice in-between. These days I get pretty much the same effect from all strains. A warm, fuzzy, cozy feeling that will last for a few hours. Afterwards sleep is a breeze.

I recommend you take a piece of (preferably untreated) two-ply toilet paper, separate the papers, and wrap up your kratom in those, carefully. Two parachutes, or more if you don't feel comfortable with a lot in one. Fill your mouth with orange juice, drop the parachute in, and just swallow. Empty stomach is best. Very easy, and there's barely any paper going down, which will dissolve immediately in the orange juice/stomach acid anyway. Right away you should get some kratom burps which will taste like tea and you'll know you're good. This is the easiest method I have found for taking kratom and it works every time for me.

Good luck. I hope you find what you're looking for in kratom. Be wary of addiction/dependance as it is still an opioid agonist (albeit a weak one). Take it easy man, peace. :)

Hi.

There is no such thing as 'Maeng Da ' kratom. Its not a strain or plant. Its another word for 'pimp grade' which means high quality .
<Snip>
I would not advise eating the stuff. Make it into extract or tea.

Let me know if you need anymore info . I have a lot of experience with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
^There's no price discussion or sourcing on BL, homie. And no offense, but there are a lot of people here who also have tons of experience with kratom. I think OP will get a lot more useful information from multiple people in this thread than just from one person. Especially if your main source of info is the Mitragyna website. ;)

Maeng Da is a strain. I don't notice much of a difference in strength between a Maeng Da and a Red Vein, but the effects are different. There are different kinds of Maeng Da as well (Malaysian, Thai, Borneo). Each have a similar feel, but the strengths can vary IME.

Ugh, I hate to come and correct you guys but your both wrong. Maeng Da, real Maeng Da at least, is one strain. Maeng Da is a horned leaf strain with thai genetics grown from one farm which is also the only place true bali is grown. Horned leaf strains have a trademark jagged edge around the leaf as opposed to a rounded leaf, and they tend to be of higher potency. What makes Maeng Da so special? Apparently it's a process called "grafting" which makes the strain more potent. Maeng Da from this farm is green veined.

With that said Maeng Da has now become a way for vendors to sell their higher quality kratom at a steep price. This gap in the price is almost never worth the small increase in potency which most of the time isn't really noticeable. Maeng Da tends to be really stimulating with a shorter duration than bali, but also more euphoric (supposably, not IMO) so it's good for motivation I guess. If you see vendors selling red or white vein Maeng Da it is not true Maeng Da, though that's not to say this isn't a quality strain. This information comes from someone with ties to the kratom industry.

Last edited:
weird i always figured kratom was kind of a smoke shop scam/ripoff type thing. i always called it kradumb and a sorry excuse for an opiod/opiate lol. not hating just wondering if its really as useful as you guys say? I've tried it during heroin wds and it didn't do a damn thing but i suppose you may need a very large dose to combat serious wds.

Maeng Da is not a strain. There is horned leaf but its fleeting at best. They have tried to genetically replicate the pimp grade with dubious degrees of success.

Go to the people that sell the stuff professionally wholesale and ask them what 'Maeng Da' is.

I am a guy who thought exactly like you guys are thinking now. I got 100 g of Maeng Da from retail shops . Then another 50g from another shop and so on.

Then I went to bulk and of coursed asked for Maeng Da. It is at that point they hit me with 'Maeng Da' is a marketing name. It just means whatever strain they are marketing is really high quality. I chose White Malay because it had the stimulating properties I was looking for.

In the beginning I used the 'toss and wash' method but it became problematic. To be quite frank, the stuff tastes awful. . So I ordered empty gel capsules and proceeded to fll them with the powder. That worked great for the taste but involved gulping 20 pills per dose.

So then I found 2 kratom chat forums where users discuss the industry and someone turned me on to a cooking formula to get the alkoloids out of the leaf into extract.

I would order 1kg from bikhuk and do the following :

1)Get about 2 gallons of filtered water into a big boiling pot or vat.
2) Dump the kg of Kratom into the pot and add half a cup of lemon/lime juice. (the citrus draws the alkaloids out )
3) Boil for 1/2 an hour
4) Strain the liquid through a cloth. I used a bandana but even a thin t-shirt will do.
5) Put bulk matter back into the pot. Use 2 more gallons and repeat.

Once you have 2 batches of liquid we proceed to get the extract.

6) thow away the bulk kratom remains.
7) boil the liquid in the vat for a good hour or until most of the liquid has boiled off. You will see a sticky substance left behind.

8..) pour the substance and remaining water into a cooking dish with wax paper coating the inside.
9) put oven on at 475 degrees . Wait for the rest of the water to boil away.

Now, what should be left is the extract. You then need to take it out of the oven and let it cool . If the water is gone it will cool within 20 minutes. Then you have your resign.

For a KG of kratom I would be able to make about 150grams of extract. Its about 6x. You will hear crazy boasts of 50x or 100x and other nonsense which is also marketing names. Tinctures as well.

Instead of having to gulp 20 pills of powder, now you only have to take 4 capsules of extract. Enjoy .

I will say that Kratom is fun but its also time consuming and expensive. For me, once the thrill wore off of making extract and chatting in the forums, I just went to my doctor and got 360 tramadol for cheap at Wallgreens. :)

Look, I'm not gonna argue with you but your wrong... Aparrently true Maeng Da isn't even horned and horned strains are what vendors sell as "Maeng Da" so I was mistaken. Lol at the "genetically engineered" bs that's spewed out and believed =D. Btw this info comes from vendors, the web, and people who regularly communicate with the actual growers.

Removed link due to sources

NSFW:
You've all probably seen companies selling something called "Maeng Da" kratom. Supposedly translated to mean "Pimps grade", it's often marketed as the top of the line kratom strain. So is the hype accurate? Is the Maeng Da sold by various companies all the same? It turns out to be an interesting story.

Bear in mind that everything I'm about to say is based on conversations with growers and suppliers and is the truth as far as I know. Having said that, if anyone has any additional information that they wish to share, please let me know and I'll update the post.

So here's the skinny: Maeng Da, that is real Maeng Da, the original Maeng Da, all comes from one place. There is a plantation in Indonesia that claims to be the "World's first legal kratom plantation" (which is kind of silly but I'll save that for later). This plantation supplies a few proprietary strains of kratom, the two most famous being Maeng Da and Bali.

Real Maeng Da is often marketed as "Genetically grown", which is a weird thing to say. Having a good understanding of the subject of biotech, I know for a fact that nobody is genetically engineering kratom, so it definitely isn't "Genetically engineered" kratom, but what does "Genetically grown" mean then?

I spoke to a kratom farmer about what makes Maeng Da different. There are a few pieces to the puzzle. First off, I'm told Maeng Da originates as a Thai strain of kratom (Mitragyna speciosa), from mature green vein trees.

Now comes the "genetically grown" part. What is this mysterious high tech process? Well, it turns out to be the ancient art of grafting. Apparently, there is something magical in this grafting process that creates an exceptionally potent plant, perhaps combining traits from two different strains, or perhaps speeding the maturation process and increasing the alkaloids. From what I've been told, if you try and plant seeds from this grafted plant, it will only retain the partial genetics, and so it's necessary to graft a new tree for every true Maeng Da tree.

So what about all these other Maeng Da strains? As you can imagine, some companies just copied the name Maeng Da haphazardly, but reputable companies usually are referring to a horned leaf variety.

The most recent batch of True Maeng Da that I purchased from (removed) boasted a mitragynine content of about 2.6 percent - which is literally the highest I've ever seen, so although the strain is expensive, it is really something unique and different. Both energizing and euphoric, often described as being very "clean", True Maeng Da is truly unique. Although the horned vein kratom also tends to be potent, the "genetically grown" original stuff is still something special and unique (and is relatively scarce on the market).

Had to remove this link for sourcery as well, I'll just quote a few tidbits...

NSFW:
Interestingly, Maeng Da, has only been so named for less than 20 years. The history of this strain has been veiled from public knowledge, and, thanks to lack of research, some conspiracy oriented people even speculate this kratom was genetically modified.

However, those who believe this strain was genetically modified are not entirely incorrect,as this kratom strain has been uniquelybred through a process called grafting; however, conspiracy-styled stories of basement dwelling botanical geneticists are well off the mark.

At a plantain in Indonesia, a technique called grafting became common practice again, blending natural and artificial selection methods in an attempt to create the strongest Thai kratom.
-----

I'm sorry OP, I'll give my take as well. Since people respond to kratom differently it helps to get a few opinions, though ultimately you'll have to find what works for you.

1. An ounce with no tolerance can last quite a while actually. A starting dose with no tolerance is usually between 3-5g so depending on what you dose that ounce goes a long way. Rollinlikeroyce gave alot of good info, your gonna want to buy a scale or at the very least get a real tsp measure, this will equal somewhere around 2.5g leveled, or so I hear. Really, there's no excuse not to buy a scale on amazon as they go cheaper than 10$. Don't use a household tsp or tbsp!

2. Feels like a stimulating opioid high with a unique flavor. You should feel full effects at around the 1h 15min when eaten and around 45min-1h when taken as a tea. It's a warming sensation and a non-jittery, clean motivation. You may get itchy and urination will be a bit forced so don't be worried if you get these side-effects. If you've taken hydrocodone (vicoden), oxycodone, or codeine the feelings can be compared.

3. I reccomend starting with bali as it's the most cost effective strain that people usually go back to. Follow Rollslikeroyce's advice on vein colors so you can pick a strain to work for you. Want something stimmy? Get a green vein, want something sedating? Get a red, and whites are in the middle though this is just a rule of thumb and there are exceptions.

Everyone respons to strains differently but this is how I react to these common strains. I find Malaysian, Maeng Da, and thai strains more stimulating while bali and Indonesian are a bit more sedating. All have a stimulant kick though, so you might have trouble sleeping. Personally, I can sleep on kratom easily and sometimes it even makes me tired.

One important piece of info is to never judge a strain by it's price. Evem the cheaper strains work just as good as the expensive strains, perhaps slightly less potent. For this reason I would avoid Maeng Da strains, or purchase it once and compare it to other strains to see if that price gap is worth it for you, it usually isn't though.

Last edited:
I just buy a small plastic bottle of Sunny D, empty out half of it, measure out the kratom (4-5 grams for me), dump it into the Sunny D container, shake, and drink up quickly. The Sunny D masks the kratom taste well, although I don't really mind it much (grassy and bitter, but not as bitter as chewing up a vicodan, for example). The non-dissolving powder texture is yuk, but it goes down well suspended in half a small bottle of tasty Sunny D.

I keep an activating and a sedating strain on hand and alternate use of them. My theory is that I feel it more this way, and it seems to work.

Where I purchase kratom maeng da is an actual strain. They have a few seperate horned strains as well. I have seen headshops list maeng da as "pimp kratom" as a generic term for good stuff. Based off that I assume it is an actual strain and headshops are really gay. I get pre capped red vein bali every time. Have tried other's including a blend with 20x extract making up a 4th of the mixture and it was not worth the extra cost. You just can't go wrong with red bali. Have never tried the real extracts(uei) and tinctures(fst) and have no plans to. At that point considering price and safety profile may as well get oxy.

I have developed the best Toss N' Wash kratom dosing method over the last few years of daily use.
I've been using Kratom for 3 years now and still am in love with it. It saved me from a highly expensive and crippling Oxy lifestyle. My favorite kratom has always been Bali. Anyway, I thought I would share my kratom intake method. This is THE BEST WAY you can eat kratom and minimize the effects of the horrible aftertaste. This is best for the daily user since eating kratom is never an enjoyable experience. And if you're like me, it tastes nastier every time if I do anything other than this method. I have to use water if I have nothing else and its god awful. I've thrown it back up immediately after taking the first gulp when I used water. Yuck!! If I must use H2O, Ice water softens the blow. Anyway, enough with the ramble.

What you'll need:
- kratom
- can of frozen orange juice concentrate from the store (costs me $1.50 at a very popular supermarket). Makes 48 ounces per can. You're guzzling the OJ in 2 seconds. It doesn't have to be the fancy fresh squeezed stuff. By the way...I tried cranberry juice, sunny d, grape juice, apple juice, Hi-C, and even pineapple juice in the past. OJ by far takes the cake with masking the kratom bitterness.
- 12 oz Tropicana/Minute Maid orange juice bottle (empty)
- old empty small prescription pill bottle
- pocket-sized digital scale
- plastic spoon
- a sweet treat for the very end (to rid any lingering aftertaste)

Steps:
1. The first thing you do is measure out your kratom dose. I measure 8 grams with a little digital scale I bought on that one popular really big rainforest website ;) for like 8 bucks. I set the empty prescription bottle on the scale, reset the scale at 0.0, then I spoon-in 8 grams of Bali into the bottle.
2. When your dose is ready, take the pitcher of OJ and pour a small amount into the 12oz orange juice bottle, using 4 ounces of OJ (or 2 grams of kratom per ounce of OJ). Make sure the orange juice is nice and real cold when you add to the 12oz bottle.
3. Next, empty the entire bottle contents of kratom into the Tropicana bottle (small OJ bottles have little openings, so a small pill bottle makes it easier to quickly dump the kratom into the oj bottle).
4. Tighten the cap onto the 12oz OJ bottle and shake rigorously. Give it at least 40 good continuous shakes (or shake rigorously for 15 seconds).
Now you are ready to drink. I advise you doing the remaining steps as quickly as possible. Once you drink the kratom, the bitter aftertaste will start building in your mouth after 10 seconds.
5. As soon as you finish shaking the kratom and oj together in the 12oz bottle, stand in front of the sink and immediately drink it down as quickly as possible. Once empty, put a splash of tap water in the 12oz bottle, cap the bottle, give 2-3 good shakes, uncap, and drink the splash of water. This will keep you from wasting kratom leftover in the bottle. Rinse the 12oz bottle with tap water to wash out any lingering kratom debris, then fill halfway with water and swish your mouth with the water at least twice.
6. Then eat something sweet. I always eat 2 Hershey Kisses after "doing the juice".

Extra Things to Know:
- Either store the empty 12oz bottle without the cap on, or add 4oz orange juice in the bottle and place in the fridge for the next dose.
- Over time your 12oz bottle will start getting dirty from repetitive kratom use. I get a new one every month. But you can clean with soap and water and use the bottle indefinitely too. When I'm strapped for cash I'll clean the bottle every few weeks.

It sounds like a lot to go through, but trust me, it doesnt take long to master the process. It takes me 3 minutes to do everything from measuring out the kratom dose to eating my sweet treat. Hope this makes your experience as painless as possible!

Last edited:
you will have to keep the kratom dose very low (1-2 grams) and no more then twice a day for depression. Even that is not feasible, I am learning pretty quick that kratom sucks as an AD because the effects are very short lived. Euphoria diminishes along with the other positive effects just like any other opiate.