• TDS Moderators: AlphaMethylPhenyl | Eligiu | deficiT

Mental Health Slump of Depression

6C The Second

Greenlighter
I recently was released from jail. I ended up getting probation. I got my old job back and most of my life is how I left it. With the exception of drug use(at least the week before my PO meeting.)

Nothing brings me joy. I work a lot, just to occupy myself. I spent the past two days(my off days) laying around, keeping to myself and nearly eating. I did actively seek out friends and activities, but no one was interested. I am making attempts.

I now have Medicaid insurance, so a doctor apt is in the future. Im against SSRIs. Is there anything I can do, short of seeing a doctor?

I'm debating starting a tianeptine regimen. I had liked it in the past, solely for recreation. Etizolam and phenibut can also be obtained.

Thanks

Why not use this time to try to go deeper and figure out why nothing can bring you joy? I do believe that we hold this knowledge inside. It's not a chemical imbalance it is a life out of balance. What do you need? What do you want? What is standing in the way--inside or outside of yourself? What small steps could you take towards change?

One thing that is so basic but I often find hard to discipline myself to do is simply to get aerobic exercise every day--preferably outdoors. When I do, my moods are better and my motivation for everything is enhanced. Before you start trying to medicate with drugs, explore things like yoga, meditation, exercise and some creative outlet where there is no pressure to produce--just playfulness and exploration.

Good luck. I'm glad you are out of jail and I hope probabtion goes quickly.<3

Abilify works for me
it is a strange atypical antipsychotics because it is a 5HT-A1 partial agonist

You should try what the doctor gives you. Why not trust them? They've put a lot of time and effort into getting an advanced knowledge of how medications affect people. Abilify has mild SSRI properties, but in my experience wasn't a totally effective anti-depressant, more of an anxiolytic. Granted, I took a pretty high dose.

Why are you against SSRIs? They can flatten the mood, but one has to weigh the costs and benefits...

They're pretty much proven to help most cases of depression through neurotrophins. Street drugs or alcohol are short-term fixes which don't address the problem.

Not really against anything. And I'm Clean from drugs/alcohol. I was prescribed remeron 15 MG daily. Been taking for 2 days and holy shit it knocks me out!

Why not use this time to try to go deeper and figure out why nothing can bring you joy? I do believe that we hold this knowledge inside. It's not a chemical imbalance it is a life out of balance. What do you need? What do you want? What is standing in the way--inside or outside of yourself? What small steps could you take towards change?

One thing that is so basic but I often find hard to discipline myself to do is simply to get aerobic exercise every day--preferably outdoors. When I do, my moods are better and my motivation for everything is enhanced. Before you start trying to medicate with drugs, explore things like yoga, meditation, exercise and some creative outlet where there is no pressure to produce--just playfulness and exploration.

Good luck. I'm glad you are out of jail and I hope probabtion goes quickly.<3

^ This is fantastic advice.

There was this really good article in the Atlantic (June 2009) that talked about this 70+ year study of 268 men. It was apparently one of the most comprehensive longitudinal studies ever done (they even measured ball-hang length). The article's main focus was about what factors seemed to make people happy, healthy and rich.

They found that the following had the most profound impact:
-exercise for mental health
-eat well for physical health
-stay away from alcohol abuse
-have warm relationships

For me, treating people with light-hearted kindness and respect is the most important thing. When I'm not warm to people, my life slopes down; when I am, the stars align.