• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

“Digital Drugs” Spark Panic

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
“Digital Drugs” Spark Panic in the Middle East
Saudi Arabia is taking measures to curb a "scourge" of mind-altering Mp3 files. But can you really get high off an audio file?

Saudi Arabia, not exactly the bastion of freedom, no? On to the article then...

Douglas Capraro | 11/4/14 said:
The latest panic-inducing drug trend involves no needles, powders or pills—but digital sound waves. And all you need to get “high” is a pair of headphones and an Mp3 player. Known as “i-Dosing,” these “drugs” are audio files that are easily shared online. And a few Middle Eastern countries are reportedly taking them extremely seriously.

binaural-beats.jpg

Use of “digital drugs” was first reported in relatively cosmopolitan Lebanon, raising concerns down in Islam-fundamentalist Saudi Arabia, where various government agencies have held what they called urgent meetings to prevent these “sound drugs” from entering the desert sheikhdom’s airwaves. Abdullah Al-Sharif, secretary-general of the National Commission for Drug Control, says he hopes they will be able to “curb the spread of this scourge”

But can you actually get high from—and addicted to—an Mp3? Digital drugs are made up of “binaural beats,” which are the sensation of a third sound that is created by the integration of two signals. The phenomenon, which was first discovered by physicist Heinrich Wilhelm Dove in 1839, provides a auditory stimulation that can create a sense of disorientation, or a “high.”

Though the concept of using binaural beats as a “drug” has been around the West for a while, however, there are few cases of people reporting misuse or dependence on the sounds. (Just to be safe, those wishing to abstain from mind-altering substances should consult their doctor, higher power or other personal advisor before playing the audio file below.)

A Substance source who tested the tune below reported that it produced little to no effect: ”Though the pleasant radiator-like buzz filled my eardrums for a full 60 minutes, I can safely say that I in fact did not get high,” he said, adding that the greatest danger was being distracted at work.

Readers can test the “i-Dose” theory themselves by watching this video:
[video=youtube_share;J__BtS1II2c]http://youtu.be/J__BtS1II2c[/video]
http://www.substance.com/digital-drugs-spark-panic-in-the-middle-east/15234/

I am ABSOLUTELY NOT interested in trying this out while on my three day high (but safe) dose iboga journey. I mean, a little too much perhaps in that situation, no? ;)

Been one with the Iboga's plant spirit before, although not in a way that will produce such powerful results, but, while i'd love to experience this shit on other NDMA antagonist dissociative psychedelic journey, not so sure about this plant would react to this sort of external stimuli under such an intense experience...

I'm i-dosing on it right now :p

Edit, is it just that same 'noise' the whole way through? wtf, lol.

Oh god, seriously?
I'm pretty sure these have only been shown to work in those prone to being susceptible to the placebo effect.
I have never gotten them to work at all, and I have tried on maybe six different occasions.
It may put you in a meditative state, but definitely nothing like a drug.

Haaaaaa when I first heard about this crap I listened to fentanyl for ten minutes and didn't od....decided it was fake lol...

Where do these fucks get off?? First they think they can tell you what you put in your body. Now they think they control what you listen too eat a dick middle east. SMH some places are so ass backwards.

“Digital Drugs” Spark Panic in the Middle East
Saudi Arabia is taking measures to curb a "scourge" of mind-altering Mp3 files. But can you really get high off an audio file?

Hahaa straight out of Infinite Jest :D
I really like poledriver's i-dosing
Cops would be baffled lol

We hear a musical chord and perceive it as a single homogeneous auditory stimulus, apart from and more than its constituent frequencies, in a 1+1=3 sort of fashion, and consider this banal. I fail to see the difference between a binaural beat and a chord.

As far as I've been taught, binaural beats have yet to find any practical application in medicine or psychology. In fact, I'm certain they don't fit the definition of a drug: something that temporarily changes the way your body works. They're a cool party trick or funhouse gag, along the lines of optical illusions or philosophical paradoxes, except for a different sensory modality. They don't change the way your body works, so much as expose a small, seldom-noticed, preexisting glitch in the way your body works normally.

I can still see how binaural beats are not in keeping with Saudi Arabia's socio-ideological agenda, since this same regime also condemns a lot of music, and can't possibly be a fan of any sort of "mind hack", however innocuous, since they imply that our minds and sensory modalities are perhaps imperfect at reflecting reality. The kingdom does nothing to support their case, however, by erroneously likening binaural beats to drugs.

I like to tell cops to arrest me because I'm high, then they ask what I'm on, and I tell them, this music I'm listening to is the shit, and it's making me feel fucking great, just like I took a link of amphetamine!

Music. Gets. You. High.

If you play it backwards the devil enters your brain and you experience such a bad trip you never recover.

I guess kids in the Middle East will now have to start using the dark web to order ipods download their mp3 drugs.

I hear some people get a "kick" out of praying and repeating mantras. They should stop this dangerous practice as well.