• Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Pamphlets Telling Kids How to Use Drugs More Safely Spark Predictable Backlash

Jabberwocky

Frumious Bandersnatch
Pamphlets Telling Kids How to Use Drugs More Safely Spark Predictable Backlash
The drug education program in Scotland is aimed at kids as young as 13 and includes safety tips "if you're determined to use."

Douglas Capraro | 10/30/14 said:
How much is too much information when it comes to educating young people about drugs? This is the question being asked in Edinburgh, Scotland, where a drug education project is distributing booklets that contain information for young people about drugs, including tips on how to use them more safely.

The Edinburgh council and the city’s Drug and Alcohol Project launched the project this week at a high school, with other schools expected to follow in the coming months.

The pamphlets—called “Snapfacts”—are aimed at people aged 13 to 25, and include a range of information about common illicit drugs, like MDMA and cocaine. One section, titled “Safety tips—if you’re determined to use” contains advice like “avoid sharing rolled-up bank notes or straws to reduce the risk of getting HIV or Hep C,” “avoid mixing [cocaine] with alcohol” and “wash your nose out after each session.”

The pamphlets fall under the umbrella of harm reduction, an approach that has repeatedly been proven to reduce the potential harms associated with using. But many anti-drug campaigners—including, predictably, the Daily Mail—are opposing the pamphlets on the grounds that they justify and encourage drug use by kids.

“The minds of young people are inexperienced and this sort of thing will only help to confirm in their view that taking drugs is an OK past time,” says politician and former police officer Graeme Pearson. He says that educators should “give young people a future and a hope of employment” rather than “misplaced” advice. And the leader of anti-drug charity the Maxie Richards Foundation insists: “There is no safe way to take drugs. Drugs destroy people so why would you want to put together a leaflet?”

But Gael Cochrane, who is helping to lead the project, says that educating young people is paramount: “Some young people will look things up on the internet but many will not. Without all the facts they are in a more dangerous situation.”
http://www.substance.com/scottish-harm-reduction-pamphlets-for-kids-cause-anti-drug-outrage/14970/

Under the "Effects / Risks" section, I would have included the most common negative effects as well (or perhaps they included them elsewhere?). Also, I would have noted that a lot of cocaine is adulterated with Levamisole nowadays, which can cause some serious health related issues with the consumer. And I'm sure I forgot something else important that should have been included, but I digress.

Other than that, these pamphlets - while controversial because of decades of propaganda - are a much better option than the "Just Say No" or "This is Your Brain on Drugs" bullshit.

At the very least, with these pamphlets, they educate people who will use regardless of the common risks attributed to - in this case - recreational cocaine use.

While it may not seem like it - this is progress. This will prevent some people from acquiring Hepatitis C and/or HIV. This will prevent some people from mixing their cocaine with booze.

Everyone must accept the fact that people WILL resort to the use of mind altering substances, and it's now known that criminalization of these substances has not (and will not) work. So as hard as it is for some people to accept, they need to swallow their stubbornness and move the fuck onwards towards a rational drug policy.

Bottom line - I applaud whoever is responsible for the creation and distribution of these pamphlets, because they WILL help to decrease common risks associated with street purity cocaine usage.

If properly done things like this would make a world of difference. Wash your nose out after each session is pretty weird advice, but things about sharing dirty snorting implements are important things to know considering what you would hear in some just say no speech would be full of lies and scare tactics.

Wash your nose out after each session is pretty weird advice

Also dangerous - iirc tap water contains bacteria which are harmless if swallowed but can occasionally be lethal when taken into the nasal cavity. A bunch of people have died from using those pots which pour water through your nostrils and getting brain eating bacteria.

Brain eating amoeba...it lives in pond water all over MD and va and I'm sure a bunch of other places. Scary there are thing like that in local water...

Now we need a pamphlet on brain eating amoebas to protect the kiddies! :D

It would be so hard to make these pamphlets believable, it'll take a little time for them to get their credibility back, even for HR advice.

Now we need a pamphlet on brain eating amoebas to protect the kiddies! :D

We would if it wasn't practically "common sense" now on the EC to not drink ground water (lakes, ponds, streams, rivers) ANYWHERE.

Also dangerous - iirc tap water contains bacteria which are harmless if swallowed but can occasionally be lethal when taken into the nasal cavity. A bunch of people have died from using those pots which pour water through your nostrils and getting brain eating bacteria.

Oops I spray tap water up my nose daily maybe I should spring for some saline solution...