Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Breaking Mad - meth 'test' drugs flood our streets

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
Breaking Mad - meth 'test' drugs flood our streets
Jim Cusack
02/11/2014

Gardai also believe international drug traffickers are using Ireland as a "testing ground" for new synthesised forms of deadly drugs before unleashing them on major European markets.

An analysis is currently being carried out on some of the new drugs, which are being sold as crack cocaine but which contain chemicals including methamphetamine - also known as 'crystal meth', the drug associated with the award-winning Breaking Bad TV series - and other, as yet, unidentified chemicals.

Senior garda sources said the new drugs are driving addicts into violent, uncontrollable rages. In one recent incident it took eight people, - four ambulance crew, two gardai and two male staff workers - at a drug treatment centre in Dublin to hold down one man who had taken one of the new drugs.

A garda source told the Sunday Independent: "There were eight of them on him and he still managed to lift one of them up."

The ambulance crew injected the man with a sedative, but it had little effect. They then had to seek permission from a medical supervision unit to inject the man with more, and far stronger, sedatives. He was eventually calmed and taken to hospital.

In another disturbing incident, a young woman had to be restrained by four gardai after she began sticking a syringe into her head in the middle of a street in south central Dublin.

No official information is being made available about what type of drugs are responsible and what kind of threat they pose to the health of users and to the public.

Unofficially, gardai say that the country may be entering a new era where highly dangerous drugs are entering the country with consequences for both users and the public that are still unknown. They also believe the drugs are turning up here for "testing" before traffickers sell them to major markets.

One experienced drugs officer said that there is "plenty of evidence" that new drugs that cause more violent behaviour in users are becoming increasingly, and more cheaply, available.

Garda sources have told of a series of recent highly violent incidents related to the use of a drug which is being sold as 'crack', but which is also believed to contain 'meth' mixed with other chemicals.

Crack, a condensed form of cocaine, is expensive, with a small lump or 'rock' usually costing €100 on the streets.

However, the new adulterated crack is much cheaper and is becoming popular because of the swift and dramatic 'high' it gives users.

Overdose of the drug is believed to be the cause of much of the highly erratic and violent behaviour emergency staff are experiencing on the front line.

http://www.independent.ie/irish-new...th-test-drugs-flood-our-streets-30710596.html

.............................................................................................................................

Anybody have a clue what drug they are talking about?

Probably meth together with other crystals. Who knows..

Seems more likely to be a research chemical of some description.
Meth isn't common in that part of the world, as far as I'm aware...

Yea meth is def not big UK in the UK...lots of reg speed iirc. Tho I could see meth flooding the UK, took off in Australia but that's also BC so much is produced in se Asia....maybe some enterprising Mexican cartels are trying to branch out into new areas? Also I know there are no prices but 100 for a small lump of crack?? That's nuts that would buy you a shit load here in the north east. I mean ppl still sell nickel vials and they are pretty big. 20 will get you a nice size rock and the quality is usually always banging...still levamisole in it but yea 100 for "a small lump" seems kinda overestimated.

Plus I don't hear much about Ireland and crack heads...I'm sure they are there just as in the rest of the UK esp big cities...

On a random note last time I was in Ireland about a month after I got home I read an article that gardai found a LAb in Kilkenny where they were taking cocaine embedded in plastic and taking it out into useable product. Funny to think it was operating when I was there...also NC it was a fairly small place. Almost midevil I loved it. One of my favorite spots def.

Meth isn't common in that part of the world, as far as I'm aware...

yeah but the Mexico cartels make meth, and have been pushing out of the NA region to distribute product. Shouldn't be hard for them to push coke and meth.

I THINK Ireland has a big (or at least had, pretty sure they still do) a big "head-shop/legal high" type market. Most "Molly" sold now-a-days i hear is usually some legal high and if u ever go to a 'music festival' it looks like almost everything sold as mdma being sold turns out to be something else.
This documentary shows how MDMA, a chem that is getting rarer and rarer by the day and being replaced with a sometimes a horrifically un-enjoyable random RC's. They are probably not all bad or not enjoyable but I doubt any are anything like real MDMA . This video kinda gives you the story: Whats in my baggy? : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dYzmZ1IU4zY

Last edited:
yeah but the Mexico cartels make meth, and have been pushing out of the NA region to distribute product. Shouldn't be hard for them to push coke and meth.

True as this may be, I think the article's mention of "test drugs" and "new drugs" implies (intentionally or not - as they also mention crack and methamphetamine) a street drug not seen before (ie a research chem).
I could be wrong, but it's my suspicion. Especially as there are so many novel stimulants that have effects that fall somewhere in the region of crack or meth's effects.
Surely meth is well known enough across the developed world that it could sell itself in certain markets, without needing to be misrepresented as something else?
To me the confusion and uncertainty points to a novel psychoactive, rather than some established drug.
At this stage, who knows?

Yeah it seems like nobody has a clue what's actually going on, but my bet would be it's just a mashup of the dozens of RC stims that are around nowdays flooding the market. Some of them are really nasty, and Ireland, being a relatively small and isolated market, would be an ideal place for them to take off in popularity.

I doubt people are cutting crack with meth, since as far as I'm aware they require two entirely different smoking techniques, but I know there are small circles of meth users in the UK (especially around London in the gay scene), so it wouldn't surprise me if a little bit was crossing over to Ireland (especially with darknet markets these days) and then being picked up by the cops there. Word reaches the media, who use it as an excuse to pump out a cheap piece about a new epidemic, etc etc etc. Same old story.

I would'nt be suprised if its Crack/Fenethylline? after what ive read about captagon/Fenethylline & its effects/use's. who know's what sort of effect mixing crack with Fenethylline could cause..

Yeah it seems like nobody has a clue what's actually going on, but my bet would be it's just a mashup of the dozens of RC stims that are around nowdays flooding the market.

Hmmm. So this maybe the unintended consequence of Ireland's near-total ban on psychoactive substances? Apparently the UK is now on the brink of outlawing all and any psychoactive substances except for alcohol, tobacco and caffeine. Even the Liberal Democrats are supporting this chilling legislation.