• DPMC Moderators: thegreenhand | tryptakid
  • Drug Policy & Media Coverage Welcome Guest
    View threads about
    Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Ecstasy death leads to lawsuit

starshine_seraphim

Bluelighter
this is scary.. it jsut goes to show that in this libel-happy society no ones safe..
[taken from http://abcnews.go.com/sections/2020/DailyNews/2020_ecstasydeath_020412.html ]
Dad Sues Teen’s Pals Over Drug Death
S E W I C K L E Y, Pa., April 12 — Like many parents of teenagers, Don French was reluctant to let his only daughter go to a daylong concert with her friends. But when he finally gave in and let 16-year-old Brandy go, he never imagined how much he would regret the decision.
She begged me forever," remembers French, who had been raising Brandy alone since her mother's death two years ago. He finally gave in when Brandy said she'd be with two of her older friends, 17-year old Michelle Maranuk and 18-year-old Paula Wilson, whom French knew and considered responsible.
"I don't want this to happen to any other child," says Don French, whose only daughter died after taking Ecstasy. (ABCNEWS.com)
He never considered that his daughter — an honor-roll student whom he describes as "a really good kid" — would try Ecstasy for the first time at the May 2001 concert..
After taking the drug, Brandy started getting "really sick," according to her friends. She became progressively ill as hours passed, but her friends did not seek medical help until she lost consciousness. By then it was too late. Brandy died later that night.
Now her father is taking the unusual step of suing her friends for wrongful death, vowing to make an example of what he says was their fatally bad judgment and failure to get his daughter medical attention in time to save her life.
"My daughter's life was just a phone call away," says French.
The First and Last Time
The night before the concert, Maranuk suggested the girls score some Ecstasy, a popular hallucinogenic that Brandy and Wilson had never tried.
Using Maranuk's contact, they got three pills for $20 each. Maranuk hid them in her bra as they walked past security into the concert. Once inside, they waited for Brandy to call her father, letting him know she was OK.
"As long as she was there, I thought she was fine," says French. "She was with her friends, she made it there, she was fine."
He never suspected his daughter was about to begin her first Ecstasy experience.
Maranuk told her two friends to only take half a pill, saving the other half for later. "They were dancing around," she says, "happy, exuberant. They wanted to take their other half."
"I've been traumatized by this," says Michelle Maranuk, who says she lost her best friend. (ABCNEWS.com)
A couple of hours later, at about 6:30 p.m., they did. Then, about 40 minutes later, as more friends joined their group, Brandy's happy mood took a downturn.
"She started getting really sick," says Maranuk. "She wasn't dancing or anything, she was just sitting there puking."
Maranuk thought it was just a common side effect of Ecstasy. But as the concert raged on, Brandy's condition got worse. She could hardly sit up. Some her friends helped her walk out of the concert and into the car of an acquaintance, 19-year-old Lewis Hopkins, who offered to take Brandy to his home, where she could sleep off her high.
By 9:45 p.m., they reached the Hopkins home, only a few miles away from Brandy's, where her father was unaware that his daughter was in serious trouble. They told Hopkins' mother that Brandy was drunk, and took her to a bed upstairs. "She was half-asleep," says Maranuk. "Like more than half-asleep."
That's when Maranuk began to get worried. Still, no one called for medical help. By 10 p.m., everyone assumed Brandy was sleeping. Then, they heard a loud thud. Brandy had fallen on the floor, lodged between the bed and the wall.
Maranuk says she and her friends wanted to call 911, but claims that Hopkins' mother told them not to.
"'Don't call an ambulance. Not right now at least,'" Maranuk says she was told. "We were all so scared we didn't know what to do."
Some in the group later told investigators that despite their pleas to get medical help, the 55-year-old mother thought she could handle things. Rosalind Hopkins said she didn't know Brandy was on drugs or how sick she was.
Finally, by the time Brandy was unconscious, they decided to take her to a hospital. In the driveway, Brandy stopped breathing. Wilson tried performing CPR, and at that point they called an ambulance. By 12:51 a.m., nearly seven hours after Brandy had become seriously ill, she was taken to a hospital 10 minutes away.
French made it to the hospital in time for devastating news. "She was brain-dead," he says. "I lost my daughter."
Maranuk, too, was devastated, saying she had thoughts of suicide. "I knew her since I was a baby," she says. "And I didn't know how I was going to wake up and not talk to Brandy."
An Unusual Lawsuit
Brandy's death stunned her small community. How could a healthy teenage girl die from Ecstasy, a drug most teenagers assume is safe?
Visits to the emergency room for problems associated with Ecstasy increased nearly 700 percent from 1997 to 2000. Though Ecstasy-associated deaths are rare, Pittsburgh coroner Cyril Wecht says taking the drug is like playing Russian roulette, in that no one can predict the outcome. In Brandy's case, he believes, it didn't have to be fatal.
"It is my opinion, based upon a reasonable degree of medical certainty, that if help had been called … Brandy French would have survived," he says.
With that news, French's despair turned to outrage. Believing that he lost his daughter because of her friends' inaction, he decided to take an unusual step of filing a lawsuit. His suit, seeking damages of at least $275,000, names four of Brandy's friends who were at the Hopkins home, along with Rosalind Hopkins and the concert promoter, whom he believes should have provided better security.
The legal claim, says French's attorney, focuses on "the people who were around to see this, and the people who unfortunately did nothing to help out."
Though French recognizes that his daughter paid with her life for "making a stupid choice," he says, "I do not believe that she had to die."
A Pennsylvania jury will decide whether or not French is entitled to be compensated in his lawsuit. But he insists that it's not the money he's after.
"I don't want any other child to go through this," he says. "I don't want that to ever happen again."
Maranuk, who says she's emotionally ruined, says that no lawsuit can begin to teach the heartbreaking lesson she's already learned.
"It's a terrible drug," she says. "It takes lives. It took my best friend

I doubt clean ecstasty can kill, it must have been some poision in it, maybe an OD of GHB, strychhnine, coke or something that provoked an alergic reaction

I doubt clean ecstasty can kill, it must have been some poision in it, maybe an OD of GHB, strychhnine, coke or something that provoked an alergic reaction
um. i can't say anything nice to that asinine response. but, i dont want to piss off the mods so
*flame*

hey....knowone held a gun to her head and forced her to pop an UNTESTED pill...and I happen to agree that the pill in question most likely was not real MDMA...people sell all sorts of chemicals claiming it to be "Pure Molly"...and also consider the fact that every weekend millions of hits of Ecstacy are consumed world-wide and you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than suffering adverse health effects from REAL ECSTACY

Actually, call me crazy, but I can see how this could be an OK development. From logical point of view, it really doesn't change the way E is looked upon in the media - they always bashed it anyways. The guy is unlikely to win this lawsuit, so pretty much everyone involved will probably be OK (accept his daughter, of course - rather her friends will be OK legally).
However, this will cause other "friends" to stop and think about their friend when he/she is feeling horrible after consuming an E pill. I know I personally consume E, provide it to my friends sometimes, and pick it up from my friends when they have it and I don't. If there's a culture of trust that will make us look after each other, E use will become safer. There were two cases when I took my friends to the hospital when they weren't feeling well (they started feeling better soon in both cases, so we simply returned, no problem and no questions asked). I have a very simply 10-15 minute rule: If you feel bad (with no release/euphoria/relax) for longer than 10-15 min, you're going to a hospital (when you're with me). In the case of this girl, she was feeling horrible for hours and hours and eventually couldn't walk. I think this lawsuit will send a strong message to friends - we're all responsible for one another, so let's look after each other if not JUST because we're good friends, then because there's a chance of getting in trouble legally. It won't kill anyone to dial 911 or simply get a cab and even send sick friend to a hospital. Anything is better than no action at all, and these people were actually almost covering it up. Friends must realize that we're all in this together, IMO.

Good point Xplore, I was just going to say that it may not be that bad that this is happening. If more people get the point that there is NO REASON not to get someone medical attention when they react badly to a drug, then its not all bad.

the main reason is fear of being arrested. they test for drugs then you all get busted. also they thought the risk of her life was less than the risks of them all going to jail for a "while"

^^^This is not correct, so I want to point out right away that they don't test everyone for anything and "we" don't all get busted. This wrong info could deter people from taking appropriate actions at the time of need. Hospitals are not in business of checking up on people - they provide medical help to the "victim" - the one who shows signs of a health crises. Of course, I wouldn't advice having drugs on you or anything (eventhough, at times, that would be even more helpful to the doctor). It is also useful to have a person who is not under the influence of drugs to look after everyone and be there for a candid discussion at the hospital.
To help combat that fear of getting busted, however, you may simply offer an altered story which still provides the needed info to the doctor. Something like: We went to this party and we're not sure what has happened to the victim. We know that someone has offered our girl (the victim) a drink/gum/snack. We later learned that with that offering, she ingested an E pill; the person thought it would be a nice surprise. We're here to help her with this.
Such a simple story is enough for doctor to know what's been ingested, and is also enough for "friends" to not feel to scared. But like I said, ideally there are also people who are not rolling and are the ones doing the talking. Regardless of that, however, even the victim him/herself could have enough energy to say something like: I've been drugged and I think it's E (or any other drug that he/she ingested). Help me. The point is to get the info to the doctor. The rest is not as important.

they thought the risk of her life was less than the risks of them all going to jail for a "while"
Sounds like you are saying they would rather risk her life than possibly go to jail.
I don't think this is the case, more likely that due to their inexperience they didn't think that death was a potential conseqence of taking a pill, but getting into trouble was a real risk. They didn't know what the danger signs were so when she started getting drowsy they didn't realise how serious it was. Again, it points to the importance of spreading the information. Bluelight can save lives. If those girls had done their research they would probably have taken what they were doing a bit more seriously, or at least realised the risks they were taking.
I agree that the lawsuit is good, reminds people to look after their friends, and test their pills before eating them or giving them to friends. and like other said, as soon as they think their is any chance of a problem, they will get help more quickly.
It still astounds me when people don't realise there is something very wrong when someone takes a stimulant and then can't stay awake. (even another reason to eradicate the term "smacky"!)

I saw the report on 20/20 and they failed to mention many facts. First her death was as a result of hyponotremia (swelling of the brain due to drinking to much water) and that she had taken another half a pill an hour after her first. Hyponotremia would explain her vomiting and finally her collapse due to swelling of the brain. However, the media fails to mention this since they want to attribute her death as a direct result of MDMA. The worst part is that i had to watch this 20/20 special with my parents since they found out a couple of weeks ago that i've been rollin for some time.

you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than suffering adverse health effects from REAL ECSTACY
Not to mention the fact that these days you have a better chance of being hit by lightning than actually *getting* real MDMA.

Didnt the other 2 girls have the same pills each, if so that wud rule out summit bad being in the pill wudnt it.
But if she had a different second pill there cud have been summit in that? or summit?

there's already a topic for this but i'm too lazy right now to find it and i should have noticed this a few days ago anyway so there's responses..ahh nevermind.. anway parents are stupid for sueing over drugs deaths. Their kids acted on their own will to take the damn drugs in the first place so maybe they should look at themselves as parents and put the blame on themselves for not doing their job and warning their kids against the dangers of drug use.

anway parents are stupid for sueing over drugs deaths. Their kids acted on their own will to take the damn drugs in the first place so maybe they should look at themselves as parents and put the blame on themselves for not doing their job and warning their kids against the dangers of drug use.
I'd tend to side with this guy. He isn't sueing for supplying/being involved with his daughters drug use. He is pissed that they did not take her to get medical attention.
The people involved knew that she was sick, they should have sought medical attention alot earlier.
This isn't the first time this has happened, leaving it late seeking medical attention seems too be a common part of most ecstasy deaths.
Jason