Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Rave Crackdown Continues

wodsoa

Bluelighter
Posted from an article on Audio Galaxy.
http://www.audiogalaxy.com/articles/index.php?&a=229&&
Attempted Government Rave Crackdown Continues
raver.jpg

This guy might soon have to watch out for more than just the fashion-police.
In yet another attempt to crackdown on raves, the House of Representatives is now considering a resolution called the, "Clean, Learn, Educate, Abolish, Neutralize, and Undermine Production (CLEAN-UP) of Methamphetamines Act of 2002."
Sponsored by Rep. Doug Ose of California, who has been an active opponent of raves and methamphetamines as part of the House's Task Force for a Drug Free America, the resolution states: "Whoever knowingly promotes any rave, dance, music, or other entertainment event, that takes place under circumstances where the promoter knows or reasonably ought to know that a controlled substance will be used or distributed in violation of Federal law or the law of the place were the event is held, shall be fined under title 18, United States Code, or imprisoned for not more than nine years, or both."
In short, if a promoter knows, or "reasonably ought to know" that drugs may be used or sold at an event, he or she could face up to nine years in prison.
The Electronic Music Defense and Education Fund opposes this resolution, saying that, if loosely interpreted, it could be applied to, "any well-attended entertainment event whether it be a rave, a concert, a major league sports game, or even a high school dance." Though the title of the act implies that it deals with methamphetamines only, the resolution never mentions any specific drug, meaning the possibility would exist for this act to effect countless events other than raves.
The EM :D EF also fears the resolution could cause promoters to stop allowing drug prevention organizations and harm reduction groups, such as DanceSafe, a non-profit organization that sets up at raves to test ecstasy drugs for contamination and distribute information on such topics as heat stroke, to set up at their events in fear of admitting to prior-knowledge of drug use.
As of now, this legislation is pending. However, it has been introduced to a number of committees and subcommittees in the House and already has 42 co-sponsors.
The rave crackdown is continuing in California as well. A resolution has been introduced in California Assembly that states: "Any local permit granting authority shall notify the local law enforcement agency when it is considering whether or not to grant a permit for a rave party." The resolution would also require the promoter to present evidence that he or she is "sufficiently knowledgeable about illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia."
The resolution defines a "rave party" as any dance event that may be attended by 1,000 people or more.
The EM :D EF also opposes this resolution, saying the wording is just too vague. How, they ask, does this resolution define "evidence," "sufficient knowledge," or even, "drug paraphernalia?" The EMDEF says, "The subjective wording of this bill and the fact that there is no specified formal procedure for the issuance of permits creates a potential for discrimination," against promoters of electronic music and dance events.
This legislation is pending as well; However as the trend towards laws that effectively shut down raves continues in our government, it will not be surprising to see both resolutions pass. What does this mean for the future of raves and electronic music in America? Says the EM :D EF: "This is effecting the ability of our industry's top talent to sign deals with major record labels, to tour through large venues, and generally, to remain competitive in the music business."
-----------------------------------
Needless to say, things are getting down right stupid with our government. *sigh*This guy might soon have to watch out for more than just the fashion-police.
[ 08 April 2002: Message edited by: wodsoa ]
[ 08 April 2002: Message edited by: wodsoa ]

GOD BLESS AMERICA, RIGHT EVERYONE?!?
1 quick question - does this only pertain to the state of CA or to the US as a whole? If so im moving to Canada (lol).
Anyways, WE NEED TO FIGHT THIS! THIS IS ABSOLUTE BULLSHIT! THEY MINAS WELL TAKE AWAY OUR RIGHT TO PEACEABLY ASSEMBLE!!!!!! WE need massive letters sent to Rep. Doug Ose of California ASAP! We must let him know that this tyrranical act of pure dictatorship WILL NOT BE TOLERATED! Our government can only rule us if we allow them to! We will only have good government IF WE DEMAND IT!
I suggest everyone with some skill in letter writing send a letter, not email but a formal letter, simply stating your voice on this matter. They cant just randomly pull laws our of their ass and slap em on us, let em know we wont stand for it. FIGHT, damn it, FIGHT FOR YOUR RIGHTS! FIGHT TO KEEP YOUR AMENDMENTS FROM BEING TAKEN BY THOSE WHO ARE SUPPOSED TO WATCH OVER THEM!!!!
his email is : [email protected]
but email ISNT GOOD ENOUGH! Send formal letters please! (Remember to write sensible, intelligent, and polite letters otherwise theyll use our rage against us!)
I suggest sending to the following two addresses:
1)
Congressman Doug Ose
215 Cannon HOB
Washington, DC 20515
and
2)
Congressman Doug Ose
722-B Main Street
Woodland, CA 95695
nothing ventured, nothing gained...

I'm not entirely sure if this just pertains to the state of California. Even if it does, it should still be abolished.

~and the prison system fills with more non-violent offenders. oh what will the government do when everyone is in jail? oh wait, only the bad people who break the law will be in jail.
i guess that will only leave the 'good' people who believe the one-sided stories that the government throws at us everyday.
what would be accomplished by this law? putting people in jail for nine years because they owned a bussiness promoting music events? how does this law stop drug use? if people cant use drugs at raves then they wont? WTF is that?!
and WTF does "clean, learn, educate,abolish,neutralize and undermine production" mean? i mean, it looks like they took a bunch of words that sounded good together and wham! they got a name for another unconstitutional ass-backwards law.
hey, how about if they passed a law banning free speech on the internet then people wouldnt drive drunk? sounds like it would work to me.
i dont understand why "music events of 1,000 people or more" are being targeted to "undermine production of methamphetamines"......last party i went to, i didnt see any meth labs set up (maybe just to my untrained eye). what i did notice however was a promotion group charging 25$ a head to get into a party that was already 2,000+ bringing in almost 50,000 in completely
untaxable and untraceable money. kinda makes you wonder what alot of the clout behind these insane laws really is huh?
i hate the government......i hope echolen doesnt get that.
peace
bluE

I hate big brother.....he iz watching us all...even now....they want to make you part of the machine....Our government claims to be the brightest beacon of hope and freedom in a new era...but they are not..they are oppressors....No love for the powerz that be because they are bent on destroying me...

So, wait, we're not at war with Eurasia?
Seriously, this is more proof that our elected officials are suffering from too much (or not enough) blunt head trauma.
Anyway, even though this goes against my Libertarian views, I could see a lot of good coming from this. Those annoying overpriced massive parties with tons of security probing every inch of your body would give way to smaller, more intimate parties, held in some CRAZY location, like a warehouse, instead of the Fresno County fairgrounds. Just a thought.

...it should still be abolished.
...kinda makes you wonder what alot of the clout behind these insane laws really is huh?
...i hate the government...
hate big brother.....he iz watching us all...even now....they want to make you part of the machine....Our government claims to be the brightest beacon of hope and freedom in a new era...but they are not..they are oppressors....
This is very disturbing
Seriously, this is more proof that our elected officials are suffering from too much (or not enough) blunt head trauma. Anyway, even though this goes against my Libertarian views...
#$@%&!!!!!! SO DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!
Im sure all you are sitting at home or school or wherever your computer access is (someday that well be government regulated too if this keeps up) perfectly comfortable, and satisfied with the world, REGARDLESS of what you posted. If you TRULEY feel strongly against this, ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS VOICE YOUR OPINION. No you wont be the only one, me and many of my friends are allready sending out letters. START DOING IT NOW, one by one they WILL strip us of every right we have untill we have equal hatred for the US flag as the Afganis. Cmon, get up off your lazy ass and do something!
As rage agains the machine put it WAKE UP!

Wood,
The government has been trying for years to place a considerable ban on raves and music festivals, and they have failed to do so to this day. I honestly think this will be another failed attempt.
Have you mailed your congressman yet?

Originally posted by wodsoa:
The resolution defines a "rave party" as any dance event that may be attended by 1,000 people or more.
Ha ha, gotta love our puny Arizona parties... pulling a thousand heads is a miracle these days...
This was also posted on ILR:AZ, so I believe it's national.
They do realize that this 'resolution' includes things like the Warped Tour, Ozzfest, Bob Marley Festivals, any concerts, etc etc etc?
Maybe this should be pointed out to more than just the electronic dance music community.
Just my $0.02.

"How fortunate for governments that the people they administer dont think"
-Adolf Hitler
I actually was planning on writing a letter and will be mailing it by the end of this week... Although I do agree with wodsoa that this will be another failed attempt.
[ 12 April 2002: Message edited by: EZekiel ]

~actually i run a printing press at work and i do print out pamphlets to inform people of what their crazy government is trying to do.
i might not be at the front lines of a protest but i do spread the information.
peace
bluE

I think that the goverment should abolish the people of this country... to simplfy if there is no people of this country then there would be no problems for are all seeing all know goverment to fix...
In short i think that in the end, when we all die and make it to heaven (this is just what i think), god is going to be sitting at a big long wooden table taping his figuers & muttering to himself.... "i really fucked up when i let them kill my son."
"i hope nobody takes personal offense to this"
"its just the thoughs of a crazy drugged up raver kid"