Posting Rules Bluelight Rules
    Drug Busts Megathread Video Megathread

Study: Ecstasy Slows Learning, Impairs Memory

~*MEOW*~

Bluelighter
Here's the origional article..
Friday December 14 10:18 AM ET
Study: Ecstasy Slows Learning, Impairs Memory
CANBERRA (Reuters) - Illicit pill poppers using the popular party drug Ecstasy experience learning problems linked to known loss of memory caused by temporary brain damage, an Australian study has found.
Australian National University psychologist Jeff Ward said Friday memory tests and brain scans performed on 30 subjects who had recently taken Ecstasy revealed they struggled to process and learn new information, affecting their memory functions.
The scans showed the worst damage on the brain's cortical neurons linked to memory function, which can be impaired on three levels--entry into the brain, storage and retrieval.
``Users have no difficulty in retrieving memories once they are learned, the problem lies in learning new material,'' Ward told Reuters.
``It takes more exposure to new material for them to learn.''
Results revealed that in Ecstasy users, the brain cells linked to the three stages of memory had a decreased density of receptors for the neurotransmitter serotonin, which transports messages between cells and is known to affect mood.
``Even organized professionals like lawyers complained they would miss appointments and forget important facts long after using the drug,'' Ward said.
Previous research has suggested that Ecstasy causes a flood of serotonin in the brain, followed by a lull when the drug wears off and ultimately damage to the brain's memory function.
Sometimes known as MDMA or by its chemical name 3,4-methylenedioxymethamphetamine, Ecstasy can also cause dramatic changes in heart rate and blood pressure.
Ward also did brain scans on 30 former Ecstasy users who had abstained from the drug for at least two years, showing damage to the serotonin receptors in cortical neurons had repaired.
But ex-users continued to struggle to digest new information and did not perform as well on memory tests as 30 control subjects who had never used the drug.
``The impairment is definitely noticeable in contrast to non-Ecstasy users,'' Ward said.
The study, involving users aged up to 30 years, showed the longer Ecstasy was taken and the higher the dosages, the worse the memory impairment, Ward said.
Animal studies have shown damage to cells connected to memory function last up to seven years after exposure to the drug.
web page

I definitley agree with this. Throughout the spring i was poppin 2 pills nearly every weekend.
i was doing an evening course and i really did notice my marks, attention and concern start to slip.
Now i have cut down to 2 pills every 4 - 6 weeks and i'm doin much better with my study. Coincidence? i dont think so.

Yer u take a i cant be arsed attitude!
like if u forget summit u rnt really that bothered bout it! i ahve totally eased of my xtc use this year at uni, and i have concentrated soooooooooo much better!!

Originally posted by MattBomb:
Yer u take a i cant be arsed attitude!
like if u forget summit u rnt really that bothered bout it! i ahve totally eased of my xtc use this year at uni, and i have concentrated soooooooooo much better!!

Fuck it's annoying when you write shit like that

did they show any other drugs the users took? most ecstasy users dont use JUST mdma...
~hydra

Yea, i agree with HydrA. I saw this one documentary on TV, and although they focused on x and scanned this one girl's brain which had alot of holes in it, they tried to just briefly mention that she was using acid and shrooms for years as well. I don't really take alot of the reports seriously since like HydrA said, you rarely find a user that hasn't tried or experimented with something else.
My two bits...no change given
Much love

yes, HydrA hits on the right point there. Since it's illegal to give X to subjects to test the results, what you have are volunteers who are using/will use anyway. Now it is clear as a day that those same volunteers are probably engaging in a lot of other extracurricular activity - maybe they simply don't sleep enough since they like raving or talking to the numerous friends they have (or even posing stuff on bulletin board all night). These are important facts and they cannont be addressed properly until and unless X becomes legal and researchers can really test it in the proper scientific way, understanding its negatives and positives in the brain. Until that time, they are simply groping in the dark, kinda just like us :) Anyway, MAKE X AT LEAST PARTIALLY LEGAL AND THEN RESEARCH WILL REALLY MEAN SOMETHING. Sorry for the sour note there...