• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

How bad are soft drinks??

silverfucked

Bluelighter
So, ive always been told that sift drinks are pretty bad for you.. Seeing as I am a caffiene addict and i dislike the taste of coffee, i drink a few of these a day.. I was wondering what effect this has on the kidneys and liver(which im consious about because of my mdma and percocet use).. Do they cause kidney stones? Also does drinking coke increase your chances of diabetes.. I got a blood test and my sugar was 129 which is right at the high end of the spectrum, i think.. Any answers are appreciated.. Oh yeah i prob drink twice as much water as coke, but i still cant give up the sweet ambrosia known as coke..

I am sure someone here can help you out with those figures, but personally I only drink water and sometimes juice. my ma raised me and my sisters on cocacola and once i quit drinking it i felt more healthier, and my teeth didnt feel like they were rotting every time i took a refreshing drink (my mind cant help, but to think about thses kind of things). and water helps your body in incredible ways, well it helps mine at least. ;)

Thanx! Seems like your always hearing things on the news about how bad they are for you.

my brother in law drinks at least a six pack a day of not 12. he prefeers coke and rc cola. from what he says hes been doing this since hes been very young.
some of his teeth have been eroded away to almost nothing from the suagr and so on in the soads. (or so his dentist told him) this has happened to the point of exposing the nerve. also he goes into "withdraw" when he cant have his caffine, or as much as he is used to.
dont know how totally this is true, but hes a pretty reasonable guy, and his teeth are that bad in some parts.
and he too just cannot give it up.

also he goes into "withdraw" when he cant have his caffine, or as much as he is used to.
Thats how I am with coffee, its terrible. I am slowly trying to wean myself off of it.
~*Jenna*~

I was told there is the equivalent of 16 tablespoons of sugar in one can of coke!
You're probably addicted to the sugar rather than the caffeine. Try drinking diet coke instead and see if you like it as much!

Originally posted by ImNotTelling:
and a large sized fountain coke 35tablespoons of sugar
YUCKKK!!!!! the thought alone makes me want to spew... I just stick to pure juice or water

In fact, as a diuretic, one would think that caffeinated beverages would have an opposite effect; kidney stones crystallize when urine is in concentration.
Actually, the diuretic effect helps contribute to kidney stones. You are right that caffeine isn't an actual component of stones, and that concentrated urine is a factor in stone formation.
Nevertheless, the frequent urination associated with it keeps the kidneys so flushed of water that insoluble calcium oxalate (component of most kidney stones) starts to collect in the kidneys. What results is a stone that increases in size as more and more insoluble material is precipitated.
Calcium oxalate is insoluble no matter what but when it enters the kidneys in a large volume of water, the particles remain small enough to pass right through with the water and be urinated out. This is a continual process so the urine concentration comes into play-most patients are encouraged to drink a half-gallon + of water throughout each day to keep liquid flowing through the kidneys and not allow insoluble matter to collect. When very little liquid remains in the kidneys at any given time (as with diuretics), the small particles collect in the kidney and with the aid of the warm environment, lump together to form a larger crystal mass (kidney stone). Because diuretics continue to stimulate urination even when little liquid is passing through the kidneys, this can soon lead to the precipitation and buildup of calcium oxalate.

Your main worry in drinking a lot of soft drinks is going to be the sugar and the empty calories you're consuming, putting you at risk of obesity, type 2 diabetes, that whole range of problems.
Moderation in all things ;)

Originally posted by wanderlust:
my brother in law drinks at least a six pack a day of not 12. he prefeers coke and rc cola. from what he says hes been doing this since hes been very young.
some of his teeth have been eroded away to almost nothing from the suagr and so on in the soads. (or so his dentist told him) this has happened to the point of exposing the nerve. also he goes into "withdraw" when he cant have his caffine, or as much as he is used to.
dont know how totally this is true, but hes a pretty reasonable guy, and his teeth are that bad in some parts.
and he too just cannot give it up.

My dad has worked for Coke since I was 1 year old. We had a fountain dispenser in our house. So, I've been drinking Coke on a regular, perhaps heavy basis for 31 years. Without a doubt the sugar can't be good for you. But, my teeth don't seem to be in any worse shape than anyone else's.

The sugar thing could be bad, but teeth-wise, you would just want to make sure and brush your teeth regularly (thus not leaving the sugar on there) and chewing sugarless gum would help too, as it increases saliva production to wash the sugar out.
I don't think I would be so worried about sodas being so detrimental to life, but there have been definite benefits shown to increases in drinking water. Maybe try to switch a few sodas out for water? Plus you're basically taking in so many empty calories.

Drink more water,ween youreself slowly off the caffine drinks and if you need a "FIX" try red soda,s .true.

bad, so very ,very ,bad. as mentioned before theres the rotting teeth problem. it does not help that much to brush them because good healthy teeth comes from whats put inside of you and not what you put on them. of coarse brushing and flossing are important in maintaing your teeth but are not the contributing factors for good teeth. i lost two molars from grinding my teeth from rolling, but when i went to the denist he told me that they were already bad ,weak teeth from drinking too much soda.
second, refined, processed anything is bad for you and the average can of soda has about 25-30 grams of sugar. put 25-30 grams of cocaine on a table and see how much that actually is.
third, carbonated water can be traced to forms of ulcers. forth, diet and regular sodas can be linked directly to some forms of stomach cancer.it has been suggested that its the caffene that is the culprit for this.caffeine can also be linked to a few types of breast cancers.
it does put you at a high risk of devoloping diabetes type 2. your body slowly works up to a state of diabetes through years of abuse to your body with sugars and starches.
i went to the ob/gyn one day and when doing the breast exam she told me i had "fiborous" breast. when i ask her to explain she said that its usually caused from too much caffine and that i shold stop drinking soda and take vitamin e to help them go away. thats when i started reading about the effects of soda.
i was addicted to dr. pepper for years. i quit and never felt so great. then one day i tripped when we were on a cruise and i decided i wanted something "fuzzy" to drink. ive been back on the bottle ever since, but have cut back now to only one or two diet ones a day. id like to be drinking none, but im an addict. i get very bitchy if i dont have the caffine and by noon i have a raging headache. i try to drink water alot to flush it out. its a slow process. i think im going to try to drink a green tea in the morning and see if that works for me.
[ 30 July 2002: Message edited by: beanergrl ]

Yeah, i if i dont drink one before class, I wont stay awake.. Ive been getting better though.. my main concern was witht he kindey's and liver.. As of now my teeth are in great health.. never had a cavity or anything, but apparently this happens over longer periods of time?

Well, to be honest, I am not a pre-med major nor am I anti-caffeine. I used to be a heavy coffee drinker but I eventually quit drinking it altogether (and not because of health problems). I have cut most caffeine out of my diet now; I drink soft drinks and coffee so infrequently that the caffeine in them wakes me right up when I do decide to imbibe.
Caffeine in moderation isn't really harmful to anyone. It has a diuretic effect but even if you have kidney stones, this can be offset by drinking the reccomended 6-8 glasses of water a day and thus staying hydrated.
I know a fair amount about kidney stones only because I had one a few years ago. If you ever have a really painful kidney stone (one that earns the reputation of being as painful as being shot or giving birth), you will likely make a lot of changes in your diet and do anything else you can to avoid having another one. Soft drinks are generally not reccomended by urologists but many people consume them anyway and experience no problems, so you can decide for yourself. I don't drink them regularly, but it isn't solely because they can be bad for the kidneys.

my teeth were fine intill i was thirty and i didnt get a cavity either. they started to soften from the inside and then they crumbled. thank God ive saved my other teeth in time through treatments, but i can definatly feel how the soda has taken some of the enamel off.

I think I also read once an article that soft drink are bad for liver and kidney, I just can not remember where it was...
I drink also a few soft drinks each day, but this thread has really been made thinking if I should change my diet a little bit..