• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Misc Are there any drugs that work WELL for treating General Anxiety Disorder??

TimRoberts

Greenlighter
Hey guys. So long story short I've tried MANY things to cure my anxiety/depression. What messed me up the worst was SSRI's, I was on them for a year and haven't ever been the same since. Theres a constant anxiety that really never breaks. The ONLY time I was free of anxiety was briefly when I took a couple of hits of weed and it was very relaxing. But other times with weed I'll get panic attacks, so it's hit or miss. I read here a lot, and you guys are the experts on mind altering substances, so I was wondering if anyone had any recommendations.

I've tried:

SSRI's - HORRIBLE
SNRI's - HORRIBLE
Benzos - Addictive
Valerian - nothing
St. Johns Wort - nothing
Kava - nothing significant
Weed - Too unpredictable
Picamillon - Nothing
Fish Oil - Nothing
Tryptophan - Nothing

Any recommendations would be amazing. My main symptom is decreased lung capacity. It feels like I can't take a deep breath and have to yawn to get in a full gasp of air.

PHENIBUT PHENIBUT PHENIBUT

You have to use it seldom but it works and while being a double edged sword with potential negative, as is anything, the pros outweigh the cons.

Hydroxyzine
MAOIs and RIMAs
Tandospirone
Many cannabinoid substances which should be more predictable in their effects than marijuana (tolerance is a factor here though)

Yeah, definitely recommend gabapentin/lyrica. Tolerance is a huge factor though, especially with gabapentin.

Gabapentin/Neurontin is good.
My doctor is always trying to get me to take Zyprexa or Seroquel. For some this works. I have concerns about weight gain and lethargy, but thought I would mention them as they are out there.

RARELY Buspar helps someone. I take it and found it to boost my libido. My doc feels this is a coincidence from quitting the SSRI's but when I dont take it, I know the difference. And who can say that can't help anxiety?

you guys and your gaba, try good old Ativan 1mg 3 times daily will do it

^ One of the most addictive benzodiazepines out there. Some people don't like it, but it was the first benzodiazepine that I got seriously addicted to. Aside from regular benzodiazepine anxiolytic effects it boosted my mood weirdly, made me smile and produced some colour enhancement, I just loved it, but when I ran out of it, it was a nightmare, as I compare, I guess I didn't have such a rough time even quitting clonazepam. Benzodiazepines are no solution to anxiety, they only make it worse in the long run.

I suggest self-hypnosis and meditation for anxiety. It's changed my life, I was so surprised at first, but really if you can maintain routine and be patient exploring yourself, you can be your own guide to life and have great ecstatic and psychedelic experiences without taking any drugs at all.

the best but you need to control it cayse its a benzo its xanax....half a day half at night...no more

The thing with benzodiazepines is that they aren't supposed to be used for periods of time longer than 2 weeks. And there's evidence showing that medium to long term usage of benzodiazepines actually aggravates anxiety and panic disorders.[ref]

How much do you excercise? Do you do anything aerobic, to increase your lung capacity and get your cardio pumping? How much sunlight do you expose yourself to? Do you take/have you tried Vitamin D supplements?

Nonspecific anxiety/depression is usually best treated without pharmaceuticals or "supplements", beyond what you need for a healthy lifestyle.

Also: have you tried having some MDMA assisted therapy, perhaps?

Hydroxyzine
MAOIs and RIMAs
Tandospirone
Many cannabinoid substances which should be more predictable in their effects than marijuana (tolerance is a factor here though)

They also breed with practically no THC but certain cannabinoid (CBD for pain is all I know of, but there must be anxiolyitic ones too.

Maybe a trip to your doctor is in order to find out if you have any physical reasons for the anxiety. Once that has been ruled out ( or in ) then your doc can give you some advise on what is best. Not to speak ill of the fine individuals on BL however a truly medical point of view is the best way to start with such a debilitating condition. I suffer from a anxiety disorder and found that yes benzo's and the like worked well until..... The day i took WAY TO MANY and ended up in the ICU for 5 day's. Please be careful it's a fine line between needing something and using your medication for a high. And yes telling someone to just start taking the likes of Ativan is dumb and dangerous. Good Luck Tim.

the best but you need to control it cayse its a benzo its xanax....half a day half at night...no more

I'm sorry but i don't think you understand the word addiction. When you become physically or psychologically addicted to a substance you no longer have the power to choose how much you use and when you use when provided an opportunity to use a substance.

Benzos are the best but should never really be used daily, addiction will inevitably form sooner or later. CBT along with a benzo or 2 when things get way too much is the way to go, moderation is key. I have learned this the VERY hard way

I'm sorry but i don't think you understand the word addiction. When you become physically or psychologically addicted to a substance you no longer have the power to choose how much you use and when you use when provided an opportunity to use a substance.

I've been using diazepam daily for 4 years now, A dose that would knock most out just keeps the WDs away for me these days. According to vast research by Dr Ashton, depending on the benzo, life style, bio chemistry etc, it can take 6 weeks - half a year of daily use to form a physical addiction. I am addicted but I don't have any intentions to abuse them anymore, they barely help my anxiety at moderare / high doses these days

Hi Tim-

You're going to hate hearing this but exercise gets rid of both your problems. I have a long history of depression and am on Cymbalta and Abilify, and holding steady. But recently I've started walking, which is about all I can do because of medical problems, and after a couple of weeks of four days a week walking up this heavy duty hill we have here, I actually started feeling so much better. Then the heat hit and I haven't walked for days and am not too happy.

Drugs don't cure things. Exercise is a sure way to feel better. You don't have to walk or do something else as boring as that. Get a job that is physically demanding. Join a gym. Find a person to have a lot of sex with. Whatever, just do something to get your heart pounding hard every day. Walking will help your lungs too. Park farther from the stores you go in and walk fast whenever you walk.

This is going to be a big drag the first day you do it, but the second day will be half as hard, and the third day you'll start feeling like you're doing something right.

Please keep me posted, even if all you do is get up and walk around your house a few times. Just get your heart going hard once a day. That's not hard. I'll be looking for your posts. Good luck.

what do you think you will get from a shrink for General Anxiety Disorder? serquil? hahahah Ativan is what u will get.........if its got some OCD in there them maybe oxacarbamazipine or another ani- epileptic drug. you are not getting gabba or pre gaba for General Anxiety Disorder. period.

I second exercise. I mean, really go at it at the gym and it will help. Make sure you have a good diet.

add lyrica to the mix for social situations