• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

July Getting/Staying Sober Thread vs Birds of a Feather

Status
Not open for further replies.

neversickanymore

Moderator: DS
Staff member
This thread is for anyone who is trying to get sober for the first time, or has been sober for as much time as 1 day to 30 years. Everyone is welcome to post in this thread. Please adhere to the Bluelight User Agreement and Sober Living Forum Guidelines.

The June thread can be found by clicking > here <

freedom_of_feather_by_fajr2000-d6on4o1.jpg

Last edited:
Alright June is in the books.. congratulations to all of us that made positive progress against our addictions or in our lives. I had a really good month in june and I'm wishing and working towards an even better July. :)

3867296-916460-celebration-blue-fireworks-at-night.jpg

Had a really rough morning, which included some pretty intense cravings. During my drive back to Chicago I remembered "Hey, turn it over, ask for help" so I did and I felt better. Then stopped at a gas station for some Gatorade (I have a headache and am trying to hydrate myself) and saw someone from the program. She said hello with a smile asked how I was doing I said "pretty good" and walked away (now I feel like I kinda blew her off, whoops.. so of course I am fighting the urge to drive back and apologize though I will see her tonight) and now I feel better. Getting ready to watch the soccer game.

So I am not perfect but doing better, its still not worth using over. 54 days today, clean and serene (or at least trying to be serene) =D

I know the intention wasn't to exclude anyone but every time I see the first post for this thread I think "what if someone with more then 30 years randomly happens upon this thread".

I suppose if they did then theyd probly be wise enough to know it wasn't meant to be exclusive.

ANYWAY I hope everyone has an awesome month free from active addiction and that all of us continue to progress in our lives in positive ways.

My schedule here at the retreat center got a bit busier but that means more teachings and meditation instruction so its a good thing. I was offered wine again today, was able to turn it down without hesitation this time but I'm considering just telling everyone here I'm in recovery that way they won't offer again.

Been doing very well staying away from stimulants, although I've been tempted a few times now and again. I've come to terms w/ managing my psychedelic use, and seriously cut down on my drinking. All in all, good progress! So many success stories this last year.

I feel dumb.

I must abstain from drugs.

Last edited:
Good job everybody! Really impressed :)
I messed up yesterday but could be worse and I could tell that my tolerance was already up with it which sucked... I just have so much going on I can't do it. But, this is still pretty sober for me :) ha I'm trying to drink less too... Working on getting a job.
Stay strong, fools :)

So monday marked the 1st of July.. As my life has suddenly seemed to come to a halt on this day (non-drug related reasons), i have decided that it's the right opportunity for me to challenge myself against smoking cannabis and using other substances throughout the 31 days in this month.
Right now I am in a fragile life situation.. Although smoking has been a part of my lifestyle for years, there come's a time when the bongs and joints need to be put aside and focused on a lot less.
So far i have been doing well... I admit, i gave in to my temptations last night and again tonight, but i only had a verrrry small portion before sleeping, and it is a good start after smoking all morning - all day - all night / every day & every night for a long time.
My next step is cutting it out of my daily routine completely..
I have hung up a calendar next to my door, and each morning before i leave for work I am looking at the empty date and filling it in with these words "DAY ONE NO BUDS", "DAY TWO NO BUDS" etc etc..
i feel doing this has already started to motivate me.

Moved away from home to get away. Today was one week clean off mostly oxy. Was particularly tough for some reason. God, what have I done to myself?

2 months, 2 weeks, 2 days off Suboxone. Ha on those numbers.
I should have quit long ago.
I was on it too long.
Exercise is the answer.

exercise helps a lot, with mood & sleep

I did some calculations and at my current rate of taper - 1 mg every 4 days - I won't be off til September :/ Not a fan of that. Might reduce it to 1 every 3 days. I don't want to spend my summer detoxing :( I had plans for this summer.. it was supposed to be good.

I might just decide to do a rapid taper - 1 mg a day or something. I'd be off in 3 weeks or so. I'd suffer more, but at least I'd be off it. I don't know. It's hard to think straight when you're either a tiny bit dopesick, somewhat dopesick, or feeling sedated from methadone.

I know everyone says this, but once I'm clean I"m never going back to this shit. Getting off opiates is a fucking nightmare.

Fabulous Captain

exercise helps a lot, with mood & sleep

I did some calculations and at my current rate of taper - 1 mg every 4 days - I won't be off til September :/ Not a fan of that. Might reduce it to 1 every 3 days. I don't want to spend my summer detoxing :( I had plans for this summer.. it was supposed to be good.

I might just decide to do a rapid taper - 1 mg a day or something. I'd be off in 3 weeks or so. I'd suffer more, but at least I'd be off it. I don't know. It's hard to think straight when you're either a tiny bit dopesick, somewhat dopesick, or feeling sedated from methadone.

I know everyone says this, but once I'm clean I"m never going back to this shit. Getting off opiates is a fucking nightmare.

I wouldn't go any faster.
I went very slow and it was painless.

Last edited:
Yeah but it's not painless for me, that's the problem. I feel like I'm just dragging out the unpleasantness. After my dose hits I feel drugged for about an hour, then I feel ok for two or three hours, then I start feeling kind of sick and just, not good. No energy, can't get comfortable, nothing is enjoyable to me, antsy... if I felt fine I would stay where I'm at, but I don't. So my thinking is that instead of feeling kind of crappy most of the day for the next three months, it might be better to feel super crappy for the next three weeks, and then be OFF it so I can actually start to feel better.

I'm still deciding. What stops me is there's stuff I need to do, finding a job, interacting with people, ect, and I hate doing that when I'm sick.

Yeah, I did have some of that at some points. Once you are at a point where you want to be off, you just find a way to plug through. I always took my dose in the am, which got me through day when I was tapering, but late afternoon the withdrawal would hit a bit so I would take it easy, and maybe a sleeper and look forward to the next day's dose. I only recall that being the case with a few drops though. Suboxone is wierd, it will act one way one time and another way another time. And I always thought I was getting these sweaty feelings from withdrawal and it turned out to be the Prozac I was on. Gotta watch other meds fucking with things. I am off that now too.
I see your logic. If you can push through it, go for it. There is tons of advice out there on it. I used Withdrawal Ease tablets, they are herbal. Can't say how much they helped at night, I had to have a benzo for RLS, but during the day I found them helpful. They are online.

Status
Not open for further replies.