• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Benzos Mogadon making me feel drowsy but not putting me to sleep!

Liam24

Greenlighter
I've signed up to about a dozen forums now looking for answers, hopefully i'll get something out of this

I'm a 19 year old male living in australia and have gotten insomnia since i graduated from school last November. Since then it has been on and off. Since past May, it has gotten worse. I was up for 2 nights straight. I went to my GP, he prescribed me temezapam. Couldn't wait until that night to try it out, took it that night and i did not fall asleep until 11pm-12am. Temezapam wasn't even that strong. I went back to my GP and he thought clonazepam would good for me to go on, but I got referred to a psychiatrist and he prescribed me to Mogadon.

I heard Mogadon is a very strong medication. I've been taking it these past 3 nights and all it does is make me feel very drowsy like i have taken a some heavy drug. It's not sending me to sleep and i really don't know why. I don't understand this!!! But i have never been on anything like meth or cocaine. No way am i doing anything like that. I don't fall asleep until the drowsiness wares off.

Besides pills i've tried EVERYTHING YES EVERYTHING. Having zero caffeine now, staying off phone/ipad one hour before bed, warm milk, relaxation music, hypnosis... GAH NOTHING....

I also take avanza. I was on 15mg for a while, last week got pushed to 30mg and had no change and just got 60mg and even no change yet.
and i also take lorezapam. But that is not my medication. It is my mum's and i take it behind her back and i know i shouldn't and she gets angry with me about it.

I really don't know what to do, i don't want my parents to keep wasting money on my GP/ psychiatrist and stuff that tries to help me sleep and that won't work.

The GP i saw refereed me to the psychiatrist. So i don't know how i am going to get on clonazepam or even lorezapam.

I feel like i got the worst insomnia ever. I don't get why one of the heaviest sleep pills won't put me to sleep.

What are your other opinions from Mogadon if anybody has ever had it...

I've been trying to use mogadon to combat insomnia for years (actually literally since I was your age), and for years it always did exactly what you described (I didn't take it every night for those years, I'd go months without, and when I was desperate enough to take it, usually only a few times a week). So I tried upping the dose, and somewhere around 20mg it started to put me to sleep - except the sleep was horrible, I overslept, woke up in a terrible mood and felt completely zombified the whole day - worse than if I hadn't taken any mogadon at all. It's a terrible sleep aid - it sometimes even has a contradictory effect and stimulates me slightly, worsening my insomnia. A few months back I was desperate to sleep, so I took 2 of them and ended up awake at 3am lying in bed, took another, and so on until I'd taken 6 of them and was actually feeling like I'd accidentally eaten caffeine pills instead (I didn't, I checked). Ended up awake until the next night, when I finally got my hands on some xanax and crashed out at around 9.

They're absolute godawful pills. No muscle relaxation, no mental relaxation (anxiolysis), make you too foggy and tired to do anything but lie in bed, but don't actually put you to sleep. Whoever the fuck was doing the clinical trials on them deserves to have all their licenses and degrees revoked. They have only one function, and that is a stopgap if you're in benzo withdrawal and have access to nothing else for a day or two (although don't expect to enjoy that day or two, but it beats withdrawals).

When it comes to using benzos to get to sleep, I find the best are the anxiolytic ones. Valium (diazepam) or Ativan (lorazepam as you've mentioned) work best for me, since they quiet the mind, relax the body and, in the case of valium, sedate you slightly, making it easy to drift off while reading something light. Of course there's the problem of tolerance then, it isn't sustainable.

As for non-benzo meds, I found melatonin to work relatively well for a short while. And there's an Aussie head shop which sells herbal sleeping pills which also work relatively well (Zonk - allegedly containing Celandine, Hops, Blue Lotus and Sculcap). I found one or two of these would have me asleep 9 times out of ten. The downside is that like mogadon, I feel tired and foggy and generally crappy until they kick in fully, which takes about an hour. The upside is that they cause absolutely no hangover. It sounds too good to be true, I was shocked when they worked so well.

Of course my problem is that I just hate sleep. Always have. I remember thinking it was a waste of time as a child, and my attitude hasn't improved since. The anxiolytic benzos make getting there pretty painlessly if I have any, but I tend to have a lot of bizarre and fucked up dreams (my psychiatrist loves ruminating over the meaning of them, so I guess she gets something out of it) which leave me waking up feeling awful, my muscles cramp up after 8 hours in bed, then I wake up with all my drugs draining out of my system and I have to dose everything and wait for it to kick in before I feel functional.

But that's me, your deal is your deal :p Ditch the mogadon though, try to have a reasonable conversation with the psychiatrist about why it doesn't help and why it makes you feel even worse, hopefully you got one of the good ones.

Oh and for the love of god and all that is holy, if they ever try to prescribe you seroquel (Quetiapine (/kwɨˈtaɪ.əpiːn/ kwi-TY-ə-peen) (branded as Seroquel, Xeroquel, Ketipinor)), shut them down as quickly as possible. Read up every single negative side effect there is and memorize them all. Point out that it's a powerful anti-psychotic medication and that prescribing it for sleep is off label. If you think Mogadon makes you feel horrible, wait till you try Seroquel. It's twice the lobotomized feeling and the hangover doesn't end till you're going back to sleep the next night. You'll probably sleep, but you'll feel worse the next day than if you hadn't.

I have tried Seroquel and that did nothing either. I took 75mg over one night a few weeks ago and had a sleepless night. Felt very horrible the next day and have no idea why it didn't put me out.

BTW with avanza that would knock me out quickly with the 15mg. I'll just wait and see what 60mg does after a while.

I go to the psychiatrist next week. Should i tell him i am taking lorezapam??? My mum thinks it is such a bad idea too.. But i don't know.

No, definitely not. Don't tell him you've taken meds you've obtained anywhere other than a doctor, just explain in detail your problems with mogadon and, given that he was so quick to prescribe mogadon, hopefully he'll be quick to prescribe a benzo which are more useful (assuming they are useful - do you find the lorazepam actually does help you get to sleep?) Also talk to him about melatonin and give that a shot. And it couldn't hurt to look for a herbal high shop and ask about those ingredients I listed (they might even have the exact same product).

Have tried the z drugs Zopiclone and zolpidem when I have insomnia Zopiclone just flips a switch in my head and I am asleep it like turning the light switch off.Zolpidem on the other hand is an entirely different animal people have gone out driving there cars wrapping them round a lamppost ended up in custody with no memory how they got there I would say Zolpidem is more of a dissociative drug like Ketamine. I have read stories on here about people having full blown hallucinations on that stuff.

Ask your doctor for some Zopiclone if it works you have found a drug that works seems like you have nothing to loose.