• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Dieting with the aid of speed.

Raving Loony

Bluelighter
Ok I have decided (largely due to significant damage to my ankles that limit how much exercise I get in one day to very low levels) to undertake a diet that is aided by speed. It is unfortunate that I have decided to go this way, but I need to loose a couple of stone (around 12kgs). What I need to know is how I can best prevent damage to myself?
I plan to take mult-vitamins, eccincea (sp?), B-complex and some anti-hitstamines just in case my immune system breaks down a little. What I thought I'd do with the speed is to start out slow and then gradually increase the dose and then very slowly reduce the dose when going off it. I was also planning to take the speed in capsules, instead of snorting it.
What other precautions should I take?
RL.

good idea to take em orally. i really think the best thing for dieting is if you can get some dexedrine or adderall spansuals. They are suppose to last 12 hours. They really do supress your appetite all day. I dunno how you are gunna go about dieting but i think it's best to eat a moderate or big breakfast in the morning, take the speed, skip lunch (keep drinking fluids though) espically water, and try to eat a late dinner at the end of the day. Dieting on speed WILL make you lose weight. just not the healthiest choice though.

If you're gonna be taking something like Xenadrine, Hydroxycut, whatever, YOU DO NOT want to skip any meal. You shouldn't skip meals anyway! Skipping meals will slow down your metabolism, and while you may lose a few pounds due to not eating, as soon as you do eat the weight will come back harder than before. I've taken Xenadrine and Hydroxycut (both work well) but make sure you eat a some-what healthy diet and get moderate exercise. Taking these drugs alone is not very healthy. Losing weight takes a little more effort on your part if you want to do it right.
*Meg

Obviously, losing weight on meth/speed is not the healthiest thing (doing it orally is an excellent idea, as is getting spansules or adderall), but I'm not going to make your choices for you. Just be aware that when you go OFF the stimulant, all the weight, and possibly MORE, will come back. You will have to be VERY GOOD about eating/exercising to keep the wieght off when you stop taking the speed.
I dunno how you are gunna go about dieting but i think it's best to eat a moderate or big breakfast in the morning, take the speed, skip lunch (keep drinking fluids though) espically water, and try to eat a late dinner at the end of the day.
This is incorrect. Eating late at night, and especially eating bigger meals later in the day, makes losing weight much more difficult, because you go to sleep with unburned calories. Many people have weight problems solely because they eat LARGE junky/unhealthy meals late at night.
What you want to do is eat a BIG breakfast, a medium sized lunch, and no or a very small dinner (try and stick to things like veggies, maybe a litlte protein for dinner -- stay away from fat and especially CARBS). You really shouldn't eat anything after 6 or 7 at night. Carbs should be eaten early in the day.
Drink LOTS of water; people who do are thinner on average than people who don't.
There is no reason to "taper" onto the speed, I would start taking the dose you plan to take (which should be low, right?) right away. Tapering off is probably a good idea though.
As for amphetamine/methamphetamine neurotoxicity, check out these threads:
Meth Neurotoxicity
Meth Pre- and Postloading
[ 11 April 2002: Message edited by: fairnymph ]

This is a health Q&A resource, dont take meth to loos weight, you really shoulndt do this.
That said, make sure you take it orally, smoking/snorting/IV'ing will most likely lead to recreational use.
If you use speed currently for recreation purposes, the whole diet thing is just a cover... ive seen it dozens of times...

In addition to fairnymph's excellent suggestions, I want to knwo why you plan on taking an anti-histamine?
Keep in mind that using speed to lose weight may cause you insomnia, and sleep deprivation is a very bad thing. Not to mention anxiety and irritability. I agree that any weight you lose this way will probably come back on when you stop using speed, unless you make permanent changes to your diet and increase the amount of exercise you do.
There are plenty of ways you can exercise without putting weight on your ankles, although most of them require a gym membership. What about cycling?

In regards to the antihistamines. I do have an allergy to grasses, I imagined that my allergic reactions would be increase during a speed binge. Hence the antihistamines would help defend me against persistent sinus problems.
In regards to my sleeping patterns, I get heaps as it is. I could sleep for 10 hours a day if I wanted to.
The reason I am trying an appetite suppressant is solely to reduce the pressure on my ankles. I plan to increase the amount of excersise I do as the weight is coming off. Obviously, it is going to take enourmous willpower to keep the weight off. Fortunately that is something I have in abundance. The only reason I am as fat as I am is because of motorbike, downhill, squash, etc... accidents. Let's just say history hasn't been kind.
Fairnymph or babydoc_vic (btw. Love your work!!! *hugs*), can you recommend some reading material on spansules or adderall? I'd like to at least read up on these.

I put back a line or 2 some mornings before work @ 5:30 am.
i find it does supress my apetite, i still get hungry but do ont feel the need to eat as frequently or as much.
I do suggest you do it orally as your nose wont hack it as i figured out pretty quick.
take vitamins and when you do eat make it very healthy.
Do take care and try not do it everyday

Certainly I won't advise or help you on dieting with meth, which I think is absurd and dangerous. But I will offer this advice, heed it if you're really wanting to lose weight, and not just wanting to justify your habits.
Don't eat a meal that piled together would be bigger than the size of your fist.
To burn the weight off, and save your ankles, enroll in a gym with a nice pool. Get your ass over there in the mornings, BEFORE you eat breakfast. This way, you'll burn off stored calories when you exercise. Set goals for laps and increase them daily. Also, weightlifting is easy on your ankles, and will cause your muscles to be more efficient at burning calories when you do make it to the gym.
Remember gremlins, where the cute fuzzies turned into monsters when they got late night fried chicken? Remember that. Keep it near and dear to your heart. Anything you eat late in the evening is going to stick to you. I know people who have had excellent results eating 3 meals a day, but never eating supper later than 4:30 PM. Pretty early but don't ever ever ever go to sleep with food in your gut. If you must eat something in the evenings, limit yourself to fruits.
Some people swear by Slim-Fast or other shakes. Wouldn't know but it's worth a shot. If I were going to do this I'd start by just making a lunch of it.
Little Debbie is the devil. Eat steamed veggies and grilled white meats. Never fry anything.
Hope that helps! I'm sure it's not what you wanted, though.
[ 11 April 2002: Message edited by: OperatesHeavyMachinery ]

>>You really shouldn't eat anything after 6 or 7 at night. Carbs should be eaten early in the day.
The intense feeling of hunger eminating from my stomach says otherwise. I personally can't fall asleep while hungry.
ebola
np: the helio sequence

Look, carbs have a place in your diet. But COMPLEX carbohydrates. I happen to be a pure vegetarian and I eat carbohydrates and am thin. I also eat fat in the form of oils, avocado's, nuts, seeds. To say that you should stay away from carbs is ludicrious. Stay away from sugar, alcohol, highly processed foods, caffeine and carbonated soda's will come back to bite you too (you'll end up retaining water from going after that stuff). Avoid white flour, sugar, things with obvious high calories (candy bars, ice cream). Just cut here and there and you'll be fine. Eat balanced meals throughout the day and since you can't run, what about taking up yoga? It's a great way to tone. You'll be surprised.
In re: to doing speed. Been there, done that (though not intentionally to lose weight). It's just going to make you ugly and eventually screw up your metabolism.
Take care of yourself, sistah!

and in regard to eating late at night...if you happen to exercise in the evening your metabolism should be soaring, so don't worry about it. If you're eating cookies and ice cream at 11 pm, that's a different story. If you're eating a bowl of oatmeal with soy milk and a banana, I don't think it's going to kill you in fact if your body is crying out for food, you should probably eat, just stick with food that nature intended for you.
peace
epg

Is it the neuro-toxicity of meth-amphetamine that makes it a worse option adderall?
Doesn't adderall make you lethargic?
How does one go on an exercise program whilst on adderall?
Is adderall withdrawl harsh?

You say you plan to take multivitamins, but are you taking them now? Sometimes you feel hungry because your body is deficient in something, so getting enough vitamins will make you crave less food.
How is your diet now? If you aren't already eating in diet mode (eg. no saturated fat, no butter on bread), it sounds like you are just looking for a shortcut, and you won't keep the weight off. The only way to permenantly lose weight is by eating in a way you can sustain forever. I do no exercise but have gone down two sizes in the last 4 months. So you don't NEED the extra help of amphetamines to lose weight, even if you don't exercise. First I substituted all the bad food I used to eat with healthier alternatives, and ate a small amount before I'd get hungry, because you always eat more than you need when you're starving. Once you're used to the new foods, start to cut down on the size of your meals. Only eat out of a tiny bowl, so you don't give yourself too much food. Whenever you start to feel snack hungry, eat things like dried fruit, almonds, healthy cereal, fat free yoghurt. Make sure you have a kitchen full of healthy food, and don't buy the stuff that is full of fat and sugar. Be aware of what you put into your mouth (hehe), and try to eat a balance of all the food groups. Although you need carbs, I have found that cutting right down on them has helped me a lot, especially not eating bread.
And if you are losing weight to be more attractive, chances are the speed will just make you look old, tired and unhealthy.

^^^
She raised some valid points...
Is it the neuro-toxicity of meth-amphetamine that makes it a worse option adderall? Mostly. Also meth is more recreational, so the temptation to use it recreationally will be greater.
Doesn't adderall make you lethargic? No, not at all. Adderall is an amphetamine and a stimulant.
How does one go on an exercise program whilst on adderall? If you are on a relatively low oral dose, drinking plenty of water and eating enough food to keep your blood sugar up, exercising shouldn't be problematic. Plenty of people are prescribed adderall and exercise without negative consequences. If your heart starts beating too fast or you are having trouble breathing, then do a gentler workout. It's probably best to avoid intensely cardiovascular workouts like speed workouts/sprints -- above all, listen to your body, and if you feel uncomfortable, slow down or stop.
Is adderall withdrawl harsh? Depends how often and how heavily you were using it. Low oral doses, and tapering slowly off, will greatly reduce withdrawal symptoms. The withdrawal is not the worst in the world...not great but not as bad as say, opiate withdrawal.
[ 14 April 2002: Message edited by: fairnymph ]

As I don't have ADD (well not that I have been tested :) ). Can it be obtained without perscription?
RL.
btw: Fairnymph, that is bueatiful photo of yourself and the kitten on the picture page. Dayamn! *throb* *throb*
:D :D :D

This is incorrect. Eating late at night, and especially eating bigger meals later in the day, makes losing weight much more difficult, because you go to sleep with unburned calories. Many people have weight problems solely because they eat LARGE junky/unhealthy meals late at night.
Are you sure about this? I've seen diet advice which said don't eat after 8pm, but not because eating food then was any worse than at other times. The reason was that most of the food we eat later at night tends to be junk food, snacks while watching TV or something - food that we don't really need, unhealthy and high on calories. So by merely cutting out this unneeded food, we could lose weight. (It's not so much to do with going to sleep with unburned calories).
I'm open to correction though ;)
As for avoiding carbs - surely a calorie is a calorie? Doesn't matter where it comes from? Of course, your advice about taking plenty of veges and water, and low fat is good.

Ravin Loony -- No, Adderall and Dexedrine are available by prescription only (unless you live in India or some place that doesn't have prescriptions).
Simon --
When you eat food later in the day, you have less time to burn it off before going to sleep. When you are asleep, you burn far fewer calories than when you are awake. Thus, if you eat a big meal late at night, it's unlikely that you will have enough time to burn off all those calories before going to bed, so that when you do go to bed your body will convert those unused calories to fat. Make sense?
As for avoiding carbs -- yes, a calorie is a calorie, I agree. BUT the issue here is that fat and protein are more filling than carbohydrates, and because it takes your body longer to break them down, they produce a much more even stream of energy/levels of blood glucose. Carbohydrates, on the other hand, are broken down rapidly and thus create a sharp peak in blood glucose levels, followed by an abrupt drop in glucose levels (which is why if you eat a big carb heavy meal you feel tired and lightheaded an hour or so later). This up-down effects often induces the person to go eat some more carbs, to get the blood sugar up again (it's kind of like smoking crack, you see, a regular old addiction ;) ). Thus, eating more protein/fat and less carbs will lead to you feeling fuller and to more even, sustained glucose levels. Of course, moderation in all things is best...I don't necessarily advocate an Atkins diet...but cutting down on carbs if you have a moderate-to-high carb intake is a good idea.

So unless I have ADD, I can't legally get it right?
As for dieting. A few years ago, I used to hear a fair bit about the zonal diet. Long term, how successful is the zonal diet? Isn't that supposed to decrease your desire to eat?
RL.