• Select Your Topic Then Scroll Down
    Alcohol Bupe Benzos
    Cocaine Heroin Opioids
    RCs Stimulants Misc
    Harm Reduction All Topics Gabapentinoids
    Tired of your habit? Struggling to cope?
    Want to regain control or get sober?
    Visit our Recovery Support Forums

Stimulants Sensitisation to stimulants?

UnsafePony

Greenlighter
For a couple of weeks I used moderate doses of methylphenidate in an attempt to increase my motivation and improve my work performance, but I noticed that towards the end of that period, the drug started having increasingly exaggerated effects. Even when I took a low dose I would get a racing heart, and after that had faded my pupils would be dilated and I would feel really "off", I even tried AMT as an alternative because it was a releasing agent, but again at 10mg I nearly had a panic attack and had to take benzos.

It seems as though my nervous system has become highly sensitized to the adrenergic effects of stimulants, not just peripherally but centrally too. As it is I can't use stimulants any more due to their effects.

Has anyone else had a similar experience?

I wonder if switching to non-sympathomimetic stimulant like Modafinil, would be effective, or whether clonidine can block the negative adrenergic effects of stimulants and restore normal function?

I have the same problem with apvp and before i finally stopped using it this sensitization mixed with the fiendishness of apvp led me to have serious anxiety attacks which for the first year of using apvp i never once experienced any anxiety at any dose. I have quit for 2 3 months and went back and its actually worse because now along with the sensitization my tolerance is back to baseline. What really triggered this i believe was when a vendor sent me partially freebased apvp which, having no idea of the sheer power that freebase apvp has when smoked i day after day was massively overdosing to where my motor functions were acting up which resembled choea (my dad asked me on a few occasions what the hells wrong with me bc he said it was like i was dancing when i walked. Long story short for 5 days straight i was up just completely hooked on that next hit even though i knew that it was going keep this psychosis in full blast and add to the negatives. When it was finally gone i didn't feel normal for 3 full days compared to next day im fine eating a lot and watching tv from hcl pvp. And ever since then using apvp brings more negative effects than positive yet if i have say 5gs on me I'll go through it anyway. So i finally just came to terms that I'll never get the positive effects that apvp used to give me and haven't touched it in months. From experience clonidine will do nothing but diminish both the positive and negative effects and give you other uncomfortable side effects like dry eyes and dizziness from it lowering your blood pressure and bc the methylphenidate increases your hr and dehydrates you, youtend to get orthostatic hypotension. Imo methylphenidate comes with way more side effects than amphetamine even without the sensitization so i would think low dose adderall or vyvanse would be much easier to handle. Though all stims probably won't feel like they used to unless a year or two of abstinence is achieved

I don't think amphetamines would make any difference really based on the fact that AMT had the exact same effect. Even caffeine starts to make me feel in a daze if I drink a few cans of red bull.

Even if the sensitization goes away over time I'll never be able to use those kind of stimulants again because it would just inevitably be a repeat of the same fiasco.