• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

ADD diagnosing

kludgio11

Bluelighter
i looked for info about this before and couldn't find much. would love if anyone could help me out
i would like to know how one is diagnosed with ADD and prescribed Adderral or Ritalin. i asked my doctor about it and she was very dismissive, and said i wasn't jittery enough. kinda pissed me off. i think i'm going to switch doctors (not for that reason alone) and then go in completely tweaked the hell out
but seriously, some people i know just go in, say they can't concentrate, and ba-da-bing, there's a prescript. seems like it all depends on the doctor. is there anything in specific that would give me better chances of getting a diagnosis and prescription?
[EDIT: no offering of solicitng drugs on Bluelight, don't do it again!]
[This message has been edited by fairnymph (edited 30 October 2001).]

And you wonder why the authorities are clamping down on prescription drugs, not only affecting your ability to "score", but those that need the help of drugs to lead a "normal" life.
------------------
And the Mission is the Mouse...

I posted my written guide in Otherdrugs a bit ago. I think it is pretty good, and so I include it below. Any comments are appreciated.
------------------------
Acquiring ADD medication from your local doctor.
Version 3.0
***DISCLAIMER***This is for educational purposes and is a fictional story written by me(StP1993). The character referred to in the first person is a 16year old high school junior. I bet you feel old. This fictional story is just that, fictional, as in FAKE! This is just a comedy paper. And I think I saw someone I know talking about something like this, and decided to write it down.***DISCLAIMER***
This method would work best if you have been to the doctor at least once, as they will trust you more (unless that one time was a failed attempt to script other narcotics).
Set up an appointment with your doctor saying you need to talk to him about problems you are having focusing at work/school. When you get into the doctor's office, and he asks what is wrong state something similar to the following:
"I have always had a problem paying attention and when younger I just thought it was childhood imagination. Lately though it has become more of a problem at work. I am finding it nearly impossible to pay attention during meetings (or classes) and even when doing normal busy work. I want to be concentrating on the task at hand, but my mind keeps racing between ideas. I was talking to my ______(fill in mother, father, girlfriend, sibling, friend) about this and he mentioned that his/her ________(fill in with sibling, child, friend, cousin, you get the point) had this same problem and was diagnosed with ADD. That really worried me. I mean, I don't want to think I have a mental disorder or something."
The above is just an example. DO NOT say it in a long tedious monologue. Also mention other things such as how your schoolwork seems to be really suffering, or your boss said you missed the raise because of decreased performance. Basically I described the truth, which was: "it is really hard for me to concentrate or stay focused on anything. I often am thinking about some trivial thing when I should be concentrating on homework or other things. It is almost like I cannot stop daydreaming, even when I want to pay attention."
Some points to mention:
-How your homework is suffering. Also talk about how your notes are pretty crappy.(this applies only if you are in school)
-How you are constantly procrastinating.
-How you are VERY disorganized.
-How you have great trouble meeting goals of any type.
-How you our mind races from one thing to another and you are thinking about 3 or 4 things at once.
-How your mother/father/sibling/relatives were recentally diagnosed with ADD, and this worried you.
-How you can read a page on a subject you aren't too interested in 3 or 4 times and not be able to say what it said.
-How you are constantly daydreaming in class/work and this is affecting your preformance.
-How you occasionally completely zone out, not thinking of much at all.
-How if more than one person is talking, you have a hard time following just one conversation.
-How you often say things without thinking first, then regret saying them at all.
-How you pace or move around when doing things, to try and occupy yourself.
-How you are constantly fidgetting with things.
-How you start things without finishing them.
-If you just started college(or want to say you just started college), mention how you got good grades before without doing work or paying attention, and now you can not seem to keep up.
-AND finally, how you are angry or distressed over the fact that you can not figure out why your mind is like this.
Aside from that, be creative! I'm sure you can easily think of other things to say that would indicate ADD/ADHD symptoms. Remember ATTENTION is the key part you lack. Act zoned out when you are waiting for him, and don't answer until a pause.
When my doctor first diagnosed me, I was just an innocent little 13-year-old who had no intention for abuse(not that I do now), and even stopped taking the meds due to crappy side effects. The first thing that was prescribed to me at that age was Dexedrine. Then I complained about some side effect, and he gave me 10mg of adderall a day. I just gave up after a month on that though. Back then they just made me concentrate less.
Two years later when I came back with a different intent, I restated what I said originally, but mentioned it was getting worse. I also said I'd really like to give the medicines a second try, as the effects might not be as bad. My doctor agreed and started me back on 10mg a day. All this did was keep me more awake. I complained that I noticed it slightly, but wearing off before the day was half over. He moved me to 10mg in the morning and 5 at lunch. More complaining about it being noticeable but not much and was moved up and up. I now get 40mg per day. I'm also planning on going for more soon. It does help me concentrate, but only a little.
Never complain when he prescribes you, but a week later, or when the bottle is empty and you need to go in to get a refill, mention that it works somewhat, but it wears off often and only helps partially. Don't go with the wears off too soon or you might get prescribed Concerta, that time release ritalin with really bad stuff holding it together. I made that mistake, fortunately after this prescription runs out, back on the old bandwagon for bigger better things.
-StP1993
[email protected]

Also please note. I actually have a pretty bad case of ADD, and the medicines do not help at all, but for some people they are a god send. The extra people getting the drugs to abuse it thanks to this guide, will not change anything, so I am not affecting people who need them. Thanks.
steve

i would like to know how one is diagnosed with ADD and prescribed Adderral or Ritalin. i asked my doctor about it and she was very dismissive, and said i wasn't jittery enough. kinda pissed me off. i think i'm going to switch doctors (not for that reason alone) and then go in completely tweaked the hell out
I think your doctor might think you have a minor case of ADHD (attention deficate with Hypertension disorder). ADD is different. You have a hard time concentrating on stuff, but you aren't the trouble-making hyper child that your teachers hated in grade school. I just started taking medicince for ADD. My doctor told me there are no tests, no set profiles for ADD. You just have to try the medicince and see if it helps. It all really depends on the doctor. Some doctors will only prescribe to the really hyperactive kids, other doctors give it out like candy. You may try an actual psychiatrist, he may be able to give you a better diagnosis, cause he/she specializes in stuff like this. But if you are going to fake it just to get meds to get fucked up, don't do that. Some people actually need these medicines to function in their daily lives.
------------------
"You can't defeat me, I am the Nightmare Man!"

Truth be told, a few people faking ADD won't make a difference. It is more the people who actually have it and are selling it that are. So plllt.
ADD and ADHD are both commonly used to describe the same thing. For example my doctor says I am ADHD, while I am actually quite docile and not hyper at all. Where is my nap dammit. The hyperness is just for some kid who throw thier non-attention paying into getting up and doing stuff, rather than my preffered staring blankly while thinking about 5 things.

thanks, this was really helpful. and yes, i do believe that i have ADD as much as many others who are diagnosed
i have a good idea that adderral would help me concentrate too

stp1993: interested in your add drug experience. Was diagnosed as hyperactive and sound similar to you.
Got diagnosed as having a system that's always on 'fight'. Would really appreciate it if you could write here, or care to e-mail me, about your experiences with the add drugs, and how your condition affects other drug use. Thanks.
[This message has been edited by Psychout (edited 23 February 2001).]

Hmmm not sure what you mean exactally, but i am late and have a headache, so email me if you like. [email protected]
Anyways, about ADD and my background info with it. At the beginning of ninth grade I was diagnosed and put on 10mg time release dexedrine per day. That just made me pay less attention so he changed it to 10mg adderall per day. I didn't like that either so I stopped. In the beginning of 11th(this) grade I went back on medication, with plans to use and abuse it, as I needed. Unfortunately my condition is not helped at all by adderall or ritalin. With ritalin I pay just as little attention, my mind is racing as much, and there is really no difference. That was with between 36 and 108mg time release per day. I am currently on Adderall which I was on before and now after the ritalin. It helps very slightly, unfortunately not enough. I started on 10mg in the morning, moving my way up to 45mg/day. This helps, but hardly so while I wait to try something else, I rarely take it unless I am really tired. I usually just save it for friends or myself on the weekend.
You may say that it is a waste for me to just horde my medicine, but It really isn't worth taking it. The difference it makes is so slight there is NO difference in my grade.
Part of my problem may be the ADD the other is lack of motivation/lazyness. I currently am getting a variety of grades from C to B. I should be getting A's in almost all of my classes. My grades would be near that if I did homework and studied. If I do the homework, it is on the day it is due, during another class. I take no notes, and really just think about multiple other things the whole class, no matter what class. My faverite classes, and the ones I should be doing best in, I am currently doing worst. This is mostly due to going into tests barely knowing a thing about what they are on. I have tried my hardest to stay on track during school and pay attention, but that lasts for mere seconds before I begin thinking about other things. I wish I could get myself to do work, but even when I sit down to study, I just stare at the book thinking about other things.
Blech, sorry for ranting on and on, but I have the problem of doing that. Sorry if this sounds like a cry for pity, but it is not, I am just documenting my problems related(and not entirely) to ADD and school. I also have dysgraphia and really bad handwriting. I don't mind it though.
email me for specific questions and more info.

I was diagnosed with ADD at an early age. Prescribed ritilin for almost a year, I was taken off at the age of 9 and experienced minimal but prevalent symptoms until about the age of 16. After beginning the use of Ecstacy at the age of 19, the symptoms came back tenfold for a short period, which also accompanied depression and anxiety.
Upon taking a 4 month break, (and counting) the symptoms are decreasing back to almost non-existant state.
Regarding my personal observations, I would hypothosize that ecstacy use directly relates to ADD, and those predisposed to it.
Kyk.

Hmm...Ive always noticed the symptoms and my E use hasn't seemed to affect it. I am much younger than you were, and shouldnt be taking it at all, but the symptoms haven't increased, I just decided to try the meds again. I have only done E twice(in 6 months) though, and am not sure how often use would change things.

okay, so I tried to read the other replies, but only got less than halfway through, cuz I can't CONENTRATE! So I hope I don't repeat anything.....
I was right there with you, personwhostartedthispost...a friend gave me ritalin and I fell in love so, while I was at my psychiatrists office, I started spinning around in the chair and shaking my leg and looking around while he was talking.... when he asked about schoolwork, I said I couldn't concentrate...when he started saying stuff about ADD and ritalin, I played like I didn't know what he was talkin about (if I didn't know, how could I be tryin to fake it?) so, he handed me this test to take home and fill out, it was really easy- questions like: Is your handwriting a)really neat b)average c)really messy ?
obviously you would circle c)
I don't know.....my biggest piece of advice is to play like you don't know anything about ADD/ADHD, Ritalin, Adderal or the abuse of these drugs....
but I made myself a good amount of money in high school sellin these for $1 a pill....you can go higher, but more people like cheap pills....

I have ADD and was prescribed concerta, i think it works well for people who actually have ADD/ADHD. if you are looking to use it recreationally then concerta is no good. I just got bumped to the 36mg cause it wasnt that noticeable and wore off after like 4 hours. Havent tried it yet, but hopefully it will be effective. He did say if it didnt work there is adderall and dexadrine, but im not sure if i should try another cause if it doesnt work as well i dont know if i can switch back, i guess i should ask my doc that. But for me methylphenidate has helped me tremendously, actually on nights that i study i use regular ritalin tablets, sometimes snort them (just like 5mg every hour or so) and i have seen a tremendous improvement since ive started taking them. Last year i got C's and a B-, this year i have an A in 2 of my classes and a B in the other. Its not JUST from the meds but its certainly helped keep me on track throughout the day in relation to school work and daily things...
~Mateo