• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

A " non narcotic medication " i was rx'ed today for pain...explanation in the post

ANewKindOfArmy

Bluelighter
A " non narcotic medication " i was rx'ed today for pain...explanation in the post

Ok, so in september i broke my hip, tore my hip flexor muscle another muscle under my oblique and a tendon popped. Of course that comes with some bad pain. I Informed the Dr's and ALL of my Dr's ( therapists, Orthopedists, Ect) that i was a recovering UN ACTIVE Opiate/Opioid addict. Now when this happened even though i told them this i was offered every narcotic known to man.. So i finally got through to my Dr that I DONT AND WONT TAKE NARCOTIC PAIN MEDS even though its been 3 and more than a half years clean from any opiate. Now Today i was Given this Medication called Vimovo delayed realesed capsules now, it's Naproxen and Esomeprazole 500mg on the Naproxen and 20mg on The Esomeprazole. It's past the point of the tipical over the counter meds even making a dent in the pain on the bad days. My question is, even though its still aleeve which i've already eaten to the point of almost bodily harm.. Same with Ibuproffin. Now has anyone taken this stuff and does it work for your pain any replies on the MED ITSELF or how well or lack of working it does i would love to know before i even waste my time adding a substance i dont know SHIT about...

Thanks in advance,
- B

They just added a PPI into the mix to help ulceration come on at a slower rate. These will do what naproxen does for you currently except not burn the lining if your stomach if you take it without food, in the most generic explanation. They used to buffer aspirin with Mallox(sp), harder to find but still saw some the other day.

My worry is it's " non narcotic " but may have effects like tramadol does ya know? before i had a tolorance i straight nodded off tramadol high dose with a low dose benzo...

So a waste of my time basically? Funny it says VIMOVO should be swallowed whole and should be taken at least 30 minutes BEFORE MEALS. Thats off the box... When my Dr said take it AFTER MEALS lol....

Last edited:
They just added a PPI into the mix to help ulceration come on at a slower rate. These will do what naproxen does for you currently except not burn the lining if your stomach if you take it without food, in the most generic explanation. They used to buffer aspirin with Mallox(sp), harder to find but still saw some the other day.

This.. its an No steroidal antiinflammatory with an ingredient to protect your stomach. Its basically a advil... so you should be fine IMO.

Last edited:
I don't really have any advice for you but wanted to acknowledge how awesome it is that you have made the choice to deal with pain issues in a narcotic free manner, I know it must not be easy and must be a huge temptation/trigger. Way to go man keep it up! :)

Thank you by the way for the information and also Someone actually acknowledging i did the what i think is the right thing. I more get an attitude from say family or other people close to me sayin' just be normal etc.... People do not understand addiction at all. Weird how out of the blue when it just sunk in and i LISTENED to what i was told in the 6 rehabs it took to have me at this point in life where i can inform a DR of my problem. As i said do have a past of serious addiction issues that im still as we know in recovery from ( it never is GONE SADLY), i had a nasty problem with what started with Rx painkillers and then where else did it end up exactly where you've heard the same story a million times sadly blasting H and on the street for years. Anyway, I really screwed this hip/general region up though i wont lie when they were STILL willing to throw everything under the sun at me them first 4-5 months were the worst Pain wise i can't lie and say i DIDN't THINK ABOUT IT not even as abuse but the thing is im honestly piss scared mentally it was going to change my view of REFUSE AT ALL COSTS subconsciously. Then start abuse again. Sorry for the novel, just don't really get to talk much about these kind of situations. Addictions a crazy thing, years now and how idea's can still pop into your head. Thank you for the help and Compliments, Best Wishes to all with your recovery.

Stay Safe,
- B

Last edited:
I think it is important for people with substance addictions to find doctors that understand addiction and are sensitive to the issues. It's crazy that this isn't taught in med school--or at least not taught well enough. You sound like you put a lot of work into understanding your own addiction and yourself and I just wanted to give you support and express my admiration for that. Doctor shopping for meds is a negative but doctor shopping for a doctor with whom you can be completely honest and still be treated with respect and empathy is a positive. I'd say you should go shopping.;)