• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Strategies on Saving Money Once Quitting

Papaverium

Bluelighter
Hi fellow BLers! ^^ I was interested in posting this thread to discuss everyone's personal techniques on saving money, and refraining from spending it on using again once you do have money, but are insistent on quitting.

One of the hardest things is having money burn a hole in my pocket due to the thought that I could just go and spend it on desirable substances when I have alll the access if I realllly wanted... but I do I really want it? I have to take step back and look at the consequences, but it's still hard when I'm hearing that demon voice in my mind just telling me to do it anyway....

There's gotta be a sufficient way of keeping the Demon away from my cash spending abilities.
If you have any input, that would be great ^^ <3

One thing I did was not keeping money in my pocket so I wouldn't have it to spend. Or the days you know you will get paid, have your bills laid out on the table as a reminder. If you have leftover money, let it sit in the bank. My best tip is deleting numbers of all sources I had from my phone. When I did that, I knew that I was serious about quitting. :)

I give my money to my twin and it honestly It has to be someone you trust When I finally quit I get real serious about my money Last time I quit I saved 13k and bought a car....relapsed...totaled it....and now I quit.....again

One thing I did was not keeping money in my pocket so I wouldn't have it to spend. Or the days you know you will get paid, have your bills laid out on the table as a reminder. If you have leftover money, let it sit in the bank. My best tip is deleting numbers of all sources I had from my phone. When I did that, I knew that I was serious about quitting. :)

I always remember to pay my rent/bill priority before drugs no matter what. I try to be as responsible as possible. :) I dont have a phone at the moment which has been helping me have less access as well :))

You could always put it in a savings account with no debit card so you have a block between you and impulse access pluss more time to work through a trigger.

You could always put it in a savings account with no debit card so you have a block between you and impulse access pluss more time to work through a trigger.

I have that, but it's easy for me to access online... There has to be a way I can get the bank to put a hold on my cash til I have enough to travel and do what I truly want with my life and turn my problems around before they get worse :)

Try a long term CD account. Obviously it's your money and you still have access if your really determined, but I used to work at a bank and there were a lot more steps involved to withdrawing money before the account matures. At least that's how it was where I worked and I'm assuming other banks would be similar. After all the whole point of a CD account is to put the money in there for a set amount of time and not touch it in exchange for a high(er) interest rate.

Try a long term CD account. Obviously it's your money and you still have access if your really determined, but I used to work at a bank and there were a lot more steps involved to withdrawing money before the account matures. At least that's how it was where I worked and I'm assuming other banks would be similar. After all the whole point of a CD account is to put the money in there for a set amount of time and not touch it in exchange for a high(er) interest rate.

I've thought about opening an account that I couldn't touch for a certain period of time. Saving money is something I've never been able to do, mostly due to wanting to buy drugs but now that I'm clean it may be easier but there's still stuff I would spend all my money on

For me it wouldn't matter if I had the money on me or in the bank, id just run to the ATM and take it out haha. I don't have bills to pay...yet so I basically spend my money on what I want instead of what I need. I'm trying to change that now that I have a job and I'm clean

Last edited:
I've thought about opening an account that I couldn't touch for a certain period of time. Saving money is something I've never been able to do, mostly due to wanting to buy drugs but now that I'm clean it may be easier but there's still stuff I would spend all my money on

^ this is what I've been contemplating doing, for my own good... Perhaps I'll look into it, once in out of the negatives in my bank account lol

I give my money to my twin and it honestly It has to be someone you trust When I finally quit I get real serious about my money Last time I quit I saved 13k and bought a car....relapsed...totaled it....and now I quit.....again

lol. Not laughing at you, laughing because I can relate.

^ this is what I've been contemplating doing, for my own good... Perhaps I'll look into it, once in out of the negatives in my bank account lol

Yeah we would always overdraft our account. We were "lucky"(as addicts) to get an account that could be over drafted like $250 every time. We just have to have $20 in the account and it would let us take out way more but it sucks over drafting that much and then having to pay it back.

Yeah we would always overdraft our account. We were "lucky"(as addicts) to get an account that could be over drafted like $250 every time. We just have to have $20 in the account and it would let us take out way more but it sucks over drafting that much and then having to pay it back.

I have a $500 overdraft on my account... It's maxed out currently.... lol I have a lot of owed money to pay back to people/places before I can even get on the track of saving in the first place :\

My best tip is deleting numbers of all sources I had from my phone. When I did that, I knew that I was serious about quitting. :)

Same here, there is an uneasy feeling once you do that. Like not having a net to fall into, or not having railings on a porch.....

Same here, there is an uneasy feeling once you do that. Like not having a net to fall into, or not having railings on a porch.....

I have yet to delete any numbers from my phone, I don't have any memorized either. I'm only keeping them for weed connects cuz I will start smoking again in a few months. But I did build up the will power to throw away my last rig the other day