• H&R Moderators: VerbalTruist | cdin | Lil'LinaptkSix

Trying to quit herion for good

randysmackage

Greenlighter
For the past 6 years I have been using heroin on and off. I have been to jails, prison and a few rehabs throughout the period of my addiction. I am trying my absolute hardest not to stick a needle in my arm again, and its one of the most difficult and challenging things I have ever put myself through. Right now I am on day 5 of being clean from all opiates. I tapered myself down from a gram per day to .1 a day then eventually .1 every other day. Then 5 days ago I finally said this is enough. I haven't been taking any immodium or any other things to ease the pain of withdrawls. Well I have been smoking alot of herb, and it seems to be helping quite a bit. Most of my physical WD's have subsided, and now its the mental hell I am going through. The weed helps with my anxiety, and drug seeking mindset. I really don't believe in NA or support groups(not trying to offend anyone). But I have to wake up everyday and realize the hell dope has put me through, and try my hardest not to go back to that junkie lifestyle.

The only person who can quit for good is you. I've been through many of the same things. I also smoke alot of bud and it does help in the early stages. For some people bud is the worst for WD's so count yourself blessed in that regard. This has to be like my 5th time quitting in 8 years. I got 8 days....dont focus on how long its been cause its real easy to get complacent. I just try to maintain that mindset that opiates have severely fucked my life up and continuing to use will only make things worse. Good luck

Try journaling, it really helped me a lot early on in recovery. Try writing about all the horrible things you have been through and things you have done, all the consequences you have had, all the things you have lost or things you could have done but never did. And then write about everything you still want to do, everything you can still gain or gain back, everything you can accomplish in life if you stay clean. Write about your feelings and emotions and try to decipher where they are stemming from. Do you have any fears? do these fears contribute to decision making? Where do they stem from?

When I got clean, taking a deep look at my past, my entire self, where and I and where I could be, everything, via writing was incredibly beneficial to me and continues to be beneficial.

Also exercise is a big plus, and meditation.

You're doing great so far. 5 days is huge! Really, keep it up and don't lose hope that things will get better! It's going to be hard for a while but the longer you stay clean and the more times you overcome a craving the easier it will get!

I don't like going to NA/ AA meetings either, I don't feel I benefit because of my social anxiety. I do think though that to quit hard opioid shit you need a good support system. If pot helps, I say go for it.... anything to keep off the dope. Try to look at the positive changes in your life from quitting.... buy yourself some shit to enjoy... and remember it was possible to buy because you don't use. Best of luck, it's a hard road.... but everyday will be better.

Hey Randy.. its a damn tough thing to do, but you can do this. if I can do it anyone can. Here is an alternative to the felowships that you may want to check into. And here is a bunch of information on PAWS and addiction. Hope it helps.

SMART Recovery (Support Group information and discussion)
Varied Approaches to Addiction Recovery
Addiction Guide

PAWS LINKS
Why We Don’t Get Better Immediately: Post-acute Withdrawal Syndrome (PAWS)
Post Acute Withdrawal (PAW) Excerpted From “Staying Sober” By: Terence T. Gorski
Post-acute-withdrawal syndrome Wiki
Exercise and Mood

Chemicals and supplements to recover from opiate addiction
Managing depressive thinking

it is a powerful thing to keep our thoughts possitive and here are some threads many of us use to help us do this.
Good things about being off drugs/getting sober
Share something POSITIVE from your day!
Today I Am Thankful For... Ver. 3: Earth, Wind and Fire!
Here is the mindfulness thread.

I think is really important to develop and implement a plan for:

1) plan for the acutes (you knocked this one off already:))
2) plan to address the PAWS
3)Plan to address the addiction
4)Plan to identify and address the roots that lead to the addiction.

I don't believe that NA or AA helps but I don't believe that it doesn't help either. Although I have yet to go to a meeting, I'm quick to judge things like that. I will start my meeting next week some time. I have to go wether I want to or not. I gotta go 3 times a week for 3 months. I'm not going back to drugs, too much shit has fucked up my life because of the drugs.y daughter was taken from me temporarily but that is enough to keep me from going back cuz next time she'll be gone for good and that's something I never want to happen.

I don't believe that NA or AA helps but I don't believe that it doesn't help either. Although I have yet to go to a meeting, I'm quick to judge things like that. I will start my meeting next week some time. I have to go wether I want to or not.

Don't judge it before you ever step foot in the door. I guarantee it won't work if you don't want it to.

It does work though, the same way anything works if you commit to it. It's simple enough: you don't want to use, then don't, and we'll help you by physically spending time with you, staying sober together. As they say, "It works if you work it." (and you can live with slogans) It wasn't my thing but I've seen people really benefit from the structure.

I agree with Felonious Monk (great name btw.)
In NA they say take what you need and leave the rest. You can cherry pick the things that will help you, and tune the rest out man. There are different types of meetings, and there may even be more than one in your area you can try if you don't like your first one. What I like the most about it and what helps me, is it helps knowing that someone knows and cares that you're going through the same thing they are. Even getting positive feedback on BL can make you feel good. But that's just me. Good luck Oxy.